Prof. Malthusias Zhirinovsky's Shoulder-Fired Kinetic Energy Canno

I'd like to see more bronze tho. My idea was to do some bronze plating to some of the AK parts. To give it that true steampunk look.

I struggled with the idea of giving it a subtle copper or bronze wash, but I just never worked up the nerve. There is still a lot that could be done if I wanted to go full Deiselpunk with it, but I'm not sure I want to commit to anything that is irreversible at this point. I also do occasionally shoot this gun, so it has to be completely functional. But probably most importantly, I collect original Soviet-form AKs, and as it is, with the Russian finish and laminated wood, this still fits in very nicely. Making it look like it was crafted in hammered copper and brass would definitely set it outside the rest of my collection.

I dunno though. Maybe there should be room for a removable finned dustcover for this gun, just for those days when I feel like I might be set upon by the fiendish clockwork automaton army of Lord Higgenbotham.

I'd like to see more bronze tho. My idea was to do some bronze plating to some of the AK parts. To give it that true steampunk look.

I struggled with the idea of giving it a subtle copper or bronze wash, but I just never worked up the nerve. There is still a lot that could be done if I wanted to go full Deiselpunk with it, but I'm not sure I want to commit to anything that is irreversible at this point. I also do occasionally shoot this gun, so it has to be completely functional. But probably most importantly, I collect original Soviet-form AKs, and as it is, with the Russian finish and laminated wood, this still fits in very nicely. Making it look like it was crafted in hammered copper and brass would definitely set it outside the rest of my collection.

I dunno though. Maybe there should be room for a removable finned dustcover for this gun, just for those days when I feel like I might be set upon by the fiendish clockwork automaton army of Lord Higgenbotham.

Yes, I understand your fighting the urge to do some plating.

Since saigas are at an all time low in price these days I may have to pick up another to add to the collection. Also to make a project/art gun.

Me and a friend of mine have been tinkering with the steampunk style ideas for some time. We are tring to figure out a design for a mosin 91/30 at the moment. Which will have some bronzing and aged bronze discolorating in it.

Again. Keep up the good work. And always function over form. Looking pretty is one thing. But being in working order is another.

Yes, I understand your fighting the urge to do some plating.

Since saigas are at an all time low in price these days I may have to pick up another to add to the collection. Also to make a project/art gun.

Me and a friend of mine have been tinkering with the steampunk style ideas for some time. We are tring to figure out a design for a mosin 91/30 at the moment. Which will have some bronzing and aged bronze discolorating in it.

Again. Keep up the good work. And always function over form. Looking pretty is one thing. But being in working order is another.

Also, my x39 is going to have some things done to it to make it look older and more used. Since I havent done much to it. I will be adding wooden ak style furniture to give it that classic look. And lightly sanding all the edges to look worn. I hope it turns out like it looks in my head. :P

• 1 year later...

I struggled with the idea of giving it a subtle copper or bronze wash, but I just never worked up the nerve. ..... Making it look like it was crafted in hammered copper and brass would definitely set it outside the rest of my collection.

That would set it apart from anyone's collection! I have no idea what it would involve, but, DO IT, MAN! Post haste!

What about a copper-tone case coloring?! That would be amazing. This AR looks foolish w/ the short forend, but just an idea. (I'm very good at spending other people's money.)

(Turnbull Mfg.)

ar_cc-web.jpg

Don't know what you were considering to finish in brass? Would certainly be necessary for a proper steampunk design, but IMHO, it becomes a display piece at some point. More time polishing than shooting.

Top marks on the execution, sir.

Edited by steveb327

If that's what you want, ARs are Alu-minie-um. That makes Bronze tone anodizing the obvious way to do it.

PK selective is probably the most accomplished shop for pulling off innovative and near impossible custom anodizing effects, but probably not the cheapest for a simple single or dual tone job. They have a lousy showcase, so you will see better examples of their work by doing a google image search.

That would set it apart from anyone's collection! I have no idea what it would involve, but, DO IT, MAN! Post haste!

What about a copper-tone case coloring?! That would be amazing.

Ceracoat does a bronze finish, which is as close as I've come to finding a good permanent copper effect for a gun. Still one of those maybe years-down-the-road possibilities for when I'm otherwise totally done building on it. Right now the SFKEC is still evolving. Recently I've added a VERY sturdy Fuglystick foregrip as a base for the HG, and am hoping to attach a certain unnamed front sight, which I think has a retro space-age quality. Then I'll SBS it and add a Molot brake, and I think I'll finally be done.

Here is how she looks now with the Fugly.

post-13226-0-20871700-1364149595_thumb.jpg

post-13226-0-58293500-1364149613_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Scratch
  • Like 1
If that's what you want, ARs are Alu-minie-um. That makes Bronze tone anodizing the obvious way to do it.

PK selective is probably the most accomplished shop for pulling off innovative and near impossible custom anodizing effects, but probably not the cheapest for a simple single or dual tone job. They have a lousy showcase, so you will see better examples of their work by doing a google image search.

The Turnbull Mfg. AR is made from steel, not aluminum

I finally finished mine after about a year, basically looks the same as Mr scratchy.... going to test fire it tomorrow..... I think I had a bad batch of shellac because the stock is very sticky after 3 days drying time

Pics or it didn't happen!

I had finish on a Romanian stock that wouldn't dry worth a damn because there was still residual oil in the wood when I applied it. Took forever to get it to harden up. Like, weeks. Wonder if your stock had the same prob.