Loose handguard retainer on new SGL21 common?

I just received my new SGL21-94 and noticed the lower handguard has a bit of play. It moves back and forth which I find quite annoying.

The lower handguard retainer is quite loose. The cam lever rotates very easily by finger and does not really lock down tight in the notch as it should.

Is this a common issue with SGLs ? For $1200 I expect a rock solid handguard.

Other than that I love this rifle. The included test target has an incredibly tight grouping but I have not fired it yet because I'm planning on exchanging it.

Have any of you other SGL owners experienced loose lower handguards?

I just received my new SGL21-94 and noticed the lower handguard has a bit of play. It moves back and forth which I find quite annoying.

The lower handguard retainer is quite loose. The cam lever rotates very easily by finger and does not really lock down tight in the notch as it should.

Other than that I love this rifle. The included test target has an incredibly tight grouping but I have not fired it yet because I'm planning on exchanging it.

Mine has absolutely no play.

Does the play you mention occur in the forward to rear axis only?

Yes, back and forth only. The side notches keep it from rotating side to side but the notch on the top of the barrel is slightly too deep for the retainer lever cam. In the fully clamped down position it does not make contact with the bottom of the notch so it has some wiggle room within the notch forward and backward.

I am glad to hear it is not a common issue. I just wanted to see if this might be considered 'within factory specs' by K-VAR/ Arsenal.

I want emphasize again that otherwise the gun is

Mine has absolutely no play.

Does the play you mention occur in the forward to rear axis only?

Edited by Kalash103
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally heard back from Arsenal. They say it needs to be sent in to determine whether it needs to be replaced or repaired. I'm holding off posting the video for now because all products have a few units with factory defects and I don't want to give the Arsenal haters on youtube any more troll bait.

Edited by Kalash103

My SGL 31 had the same issue with the original handguard. A very small bit of front and back play. Very annoying, but not worth the trouble of invoking the warranty in my case. I found though that the used black Russian handguards K-Var sells that appear to be identical to the new U.S. ones are actually a little bit longer, enough to remove the front and back play.

My SGL 31 had the same issue with the original handguard. A very small bit of front and back play. Very annoying, but not worth the trouble of invoking the warranty in my case. I found though that the used black Russian handguards K-Var sells that appear to be identical to the new U.S. ones are actually a little bit longer, enough to remove the front and back play.

This is very good to know. If the factory fits a longer Russian handguard in Russia and exports it to the USA, the shorter USA made one can be tightened to fit with a shim placed between the forward handguard steel prongs and the inner retainer. A piece of sheet metal can be cut to fit for this application.

Thanks for replying. I was actually wondering about this. I assumed they came from Russia with the notch already cut but was not sure. I might try the russian version but then I'll need to put in USA mag plates or followers to remain 922r compliant.

I noticed some reports of the newer saigas with the ak style factory front-end from Atlantic and others also having wobbly handguards. I'm not sure whether these use Russian or USA handguards though.

Edited by Kalash103

Thanks for replying. I was actually wondering about this. I assumed they came from Russia with the notch already cut but was not sure. I might try the russian version but then I'll need to put in USA mag plates or followers to remain 922r compliant.

An SGL should have one extra compliance part, so you shouldn't need to do anything unless you've changed something else already.

An SGL should have one extra compliance part, so you shouldn't need to do anything unless you've changed something else already.

Even with the russian folding stock of the 21-94? I thought it was already at the limit.

I can't believe this horrible customer service. I have to pay for the privilege of sending back a factory defective brand new rifle that I paid full retail plus shipping for.

And if anything should happen during shipping I eat that as well. Nice.

Oh... and it will only take 3-5 (MINIMUM) weeks before I get it back or replaced. So after this beautiful prime shooting weather has passed I finally get to shoot my brand new $1200 'premium AK' in the freezing cold.

Edited by Kalash103

I can't believe this horrible customer service. I have to pay for the privilege of sending back a factory defective brand new rifle that I paid full retail plus shipping for.

And if anything should happen during shipping I eat that as well. Nice.

Oh... and it will only take 3-5 weeks before I get it back or replaced. So after this beautiful prime shooting weather has passed I finally get to shoot my brand new $1200++ 'premium AK' in the freezing cold.

We apologize for the inconvenience of having to return the rifle and look forward to resolving the issue with it. The turnaround time will be a minimum of 3-5 weeks. We‘ll give you a call or e-mail when it’s ready to ship so there is no need to call for status updates.

We reserve the right to charge you if we determine that firearm has been abused or damaged, altered or modified in any way to create the issue or has improperly installed parts.

The product must be returned with all the original parts, components and accessories. If anything has been changed on the product, the original components must be put back. Please include the quality certificate and the instructions manuals.

Please package the rifle securely to avoid damages during shipping. Please keep in mind that any damage that occurs due to improper packaging will not be covered by Arsenal Inc. I advise that you ship the package through a traceable company, i.e. UPS, FedEx, DHL etc. not USPS.

Please include a note with the package with the RMA number, your full contact information and a description of the problem.

Edited by Kalash103