Anyone use grease on the bolt carrier/frame rail?

Just trying to see if I should change what I use (weapon shield) and put grease there instead to help the metal to metal contact.

I was thinking maybe the grease can help with this.

I actually also thought of doing that to my slide/frame on the 1911...

Thoughts?

I use grease on my rifles & shotties, where there is metal to metal contact involved in the cycling of the gun.

Yep, that includes the contacting surfaces of the BC/rails, Bolt/BC and bottom of BC, everything else gets lightly oiled.

My ARs are an exception, they get generously greased/oiled, I run them wet.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

At one time I tried some marine grease on the rails and didn't really like it. It just attracted dirt and grime.

Both my S12 and 74M run 100% function wise bone dry and that's how I keep them.

Not for nothing, but it comes with an oil bottle for a reason. Lubrication helps prevent damaging wear, but it's yours so do as you like.

• Like 1

Yep.

post-13534-0-27093100-1317000519_thumb.jpg

I also use this stuff. I'm not a Petroleum Engineer, but I'm not certain that the additives in

common grease creates a molecular bond to the metal to be beneficial.

http://www.expeditio...ge.com/militec/

"MILITEC-1 is different from conventional lubricants. Once treated with MILITEC-1 properly, a weapon can be wiped dry without unduly affecting the lubrication of the weapon and the weapon's ability to operate reliably in all conditions and temperatures. MILITEC-1 forms a molecular bond with the metal and cannot be wiped away. To treat a weapon with MILITEC-1, simply wipe on a light coating of MILITEC-1 to all of the components and then fire the weapon to warm it up. MILITEC-1 will bond to the weapon and will lubricate the weapon even if wiped away."

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

Only intelligent people.

Use Moly Grease for shear (sliding) surfaces & a thick oil such as ATF on rotational surfaces.

You can pay out the ass for a fraction of an ounce of the same stuff labeled as gun lube, or you can pick up a pound tube for 5 bucks.

• Like 1

Only intelligent people.

Use Moly Grease for shear (sliding) surfaces & a thick oil such as ATF on rotational surfaces.

You can pay out the ass for a fraction of an ounce of the same stuff labeled as gun lube, or you can pick up a pound tube for 5 bucks.

ive tried ATF but i hate it for many reasons, it smells like shit and its a very thin oil that dosnt stay on for long and did i mention how bad it smells?

i just use a bottle of Ultra Lube gun oil it works very well and even keeps my weapons lubricated underwater it wont wash off.

I've never tried grease... and I probably won't, because I'm imagining what a nightmare it would be to try and clean it off when you needed to. Basic medium to light weight oils have never let me down... so I've always stuck to that. Even mid century 'grease' guns used oil for lubrication :lol: ... I say stick to it!

I use Quaker State motor oil on everything.

Not really. :lol:

Tetra gun grease on the rails and Slip 2000 or CLP or whatever oil is on hand for everything else.

CLP seems to evaporate though.

no, I use CLP. the only rifles I use grease on is what the rifle calls for, ie. M1 GARAND. the AK doesn't need it or require it. if you want to use it then go ahead, it's really a personal preference.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Only intelligent people.

What he said! I use a TINY bit of molly based anti seeze on the rails and Mobil 1 5w30 on the fire control group. LESS is more! We are talking light films here, no need to use much. Some is good, more will grab dirt and defeat the purpose, if there is enough lube to hold dirt it will INCREASE wear instead of preventing it. The only time to go lube happy is if there are functioning problems with a new or dirty gun in the field. Most field problems can be fixed by taking the dust cover off and pouring some motor oil or ATF all over the internals, put the cover back on and shoot the crap out of it! You WILL get sprayed but the damned thing will cycle.

Only intelligent people.

What he said! I use a TINY bit of molly based anti seeze on the rails and Mobil 1 5w30 on the fire control group. LESS is more! We are talking light films here, no need to use much. Some is good, more will grab dirt and defeat the purpose, if there is enough lube to hold dirt it will INCREASE wear instead of preventing it. The only time to go lube happy is if there are functioning problems with a new or dirty gun in the field. Most field problems can be fixed by taking the dust cover off and pouring some motor oil or ATF all over the internals, put the cover back on and shoot the crap out of it! You WILL get sprayed but the damned thing will cycle.

Same here. Moly grease on the rails and technical grade moly mixed with Ballistol on everything else. Don't forget a little on the gas piston. Slicker than snot on a glass doorknob. A little goes a long way. Too much and you blow it all over the place.

I know a lot of people that use high temp grease on shotguns, aks, and pistols that get heavy use. Talking shooting 1000 rounds in a rifle or pistol over a weekend use. Use a very little amount since it goes a long way. They swear by it. From what I have seen it works great. They use the red hi temp grease you get from walmart, runs 6-7 bucks. With what you get you could take care of a lot of weapons.

I use a little heavy way lube on the bolt. It prevents galling and seems to resist dust contamination to a limited degree. Plus I have at least a gallon on hand on any given day.

On a side note it smells roughly like burning piss soaked shoes on dried cow chips.. So it may not be for everyone.

I recently started using TW25B grease on all my firearms. It's fantastic stuff, and although it's more expensive than some other products, ($25 for a 4 oz tube that'll last ya a damned long time), it's meant to be used on firearms, (it's also effective on various other machines, and can handle high temps), unlike some other greases out there.

tw25bgungrease.jpg

I highly recommend it.