Slow motion .308 videos.

Alrighty, still learning the camera a little. We made a plastic protector to shield the lens from the cases/hulls, so some of the bluring in a few videos is coming from that.

I was able to see whats happening to brass in my rifle. I'll try to get those videos up next.

If you have something in mind that you would like to see please feel free... Yes the videos are silent, I don't own the rights to any music and I don't feel like getting sued. But I left the video open for editing so if you want to screw around with it feel free.

And NO I'm not really that flabby :lolol:

First up:

Ten round mag dump, 480fps shown at 30fps (1/16th real time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUxKp_ImStU

• Like 2

On the brass being dented I figured out with the mag fully loaded at full spring pressure the third lug on the bolt was hitting on the way back. So I did some minor dremel work to smooth the hard edges and shot some steel case and the dent and scratch is almost none existent on brass now except light scratch on first couple rounds .

I've never seen the third lug dent, but had the ejection port dent on all of my brass, until I added a recoil buffer. I only have a slight dent every tenth round or so now, and my sizer die can pull it out fairly easily (most of the time). Great videos, but now I'm tempted to take a dremel to the ejection port.

• 2 weeks later...

Just made a trip to the range ran several types of ammo and during her bath while field stripping her i notice some wear and residual brass on dust cover that may be wear the brass is being dented during ejection

Pen oiler points to place on dust cover where brass was left on worn metal

post-36604-0-21037500-1318015379_thumb.jpg

Edited by funkytrain
I've never seen the third lug dent, but had the ejection port dent on all of my brass, until I added a recoil buffer. I only have a slight dent every tenth round or so now, and my sizer die can pull it out fairly easily (most of the time). Great videos, but now I'm tempted to take a dremel to the ejection port.

The third lug dent hits where the case necks down and leaves a scratch towards the bottom of the case . Didn't keep dented cases or I would post pic . But you said putting a buffer helped minimize the amount and severity of ejection dents . What kind of buffer if more than 1 cuz I only know of 1 ?

The third lug dent hits where the case necks down and leaves a scratch towards the bottom of the case . Didn't keep dented cases or I would post pic . But you said putting a buffer helped minimize the amount and severity of ejection dents . What kind of buffer if more than 1 cuz I only know of 1 ?

Just the standard recoil buffer I got from CSS. I got the idea from someone on this forum and it seems to work.

I'd guess its hitting the buffer just as the case is contacting the ejector. So your slowing the bolt travel speed just at the moment of ejection... Seems like one good way to reduce denting.

I'm going to play with making a weld on piece to hold a rubber bumper on the top cover. Because several AK variants do the same thing.

Just ordered a buffer from css as soon as it arrives I will go do some testing at the range to see if it helps on my s308 and I'm wondering if a small piece of rubber trim or like csspecs said some sort of fixed rubber bumper or more recoil spring pressure but spring pressure increase may be bad for weak or light loads hmm somethin to think about ima use all the engineering skills that I don't have to figure this out

• 1 month later...

Finally made a range trip since I received the buffer and the buffer didn't help the case dents during ejection and the point in which the case is dented on the dust cover is more evident . So maybe the recoil spring is weak and needs replacing or has something to do with the angle in which the ejector is contacting the case . And the third lug dent only occurred this time with a fully loaded sure fire mag (25rd) didn't happen if only loaded 20 rd and didn't happen in fully loaded fbmg and promag.

I recently orderes an ak74 parts kit, the top cover on a AK74 is the same size as the Saiga 308 but the cover ejection port is rolled over. The Saiga is just a straight cut sheetmetal. I'll let you know how this works out because a AK74 top cover is only 8 dollars. See MArkW for sale add for bulgy parts in the classifieds.

I recently orderes an ak74 parts kit, the top cover on a AK74 is the same size as the Saiga 308 but the cover ejection port is rolled over. The Saiga is just a straight cut sheetmetal. I'll let you know how this works out because a AK74 top cover is only 8 dollars. See MArkW for sale add for bulgy parts in the classifieds.

Cool I'll check it out because the dent in brass is so bad that there no good for reloading . I'm thinking bout ordering a new recoil spring but let me know how that 74 cover works out might do that also .

I greatly reduced denting by using some automobile strip molding on upper port to cushion the the impact. Stays on with just some locktite so far but may not even need that. This problem has been around for a long time and plagues all Saigas I've used,

If you remove the cover and fire it you should see no denting at all. Have not tried that yet, I should have though.

Went to the range yesterday with my AK74 top cover that has a rolled lipped ejection port still dented the cases, What I like about the 74 top cover is the small bump on the front part of the cover that takes up the slack and won't let the top cover slop around. I guess I'll try some sort of moulding rubber..

My third lug is dinging the cases also, I need to polish that I guess.

Edited by LtDan