What unconventional foods are your favorites and how do you prepare them?

I have heard of grilling rattle snakes, but wondered if there are any snakes to avoid eating.

I never tried turtle soup and don't know which turtles to avoid.

What is the better tasting ways to prepare rabbit?

My favorite food that no one I know eats is sushi. I have never had any prepared with raw meats. I would also like to try sashimi. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi

ETA: I also want to try Fugu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu

Edited by stnls1911
  • Like 1

Last summer, my car broke down in Oklahoma, driving from Minnesota to Texas. Two other guys and i ended up "stranded" on a beautiful lake for eight days, with two days of food. Once we did the math it was okay, we just ate minimal rations. So when we found a one foot rattler we killed it, skinned it and roasted it over a fire, and ate the meat off the bones. It wasn't much, but after living on a third of a can of beef stew and a spoiled pear a day, it tasted amazing.

Edited by Jackalope

I've ate rattlesnake, mako shark, elk, bear, coyote, creek(freshwater) clams, pheseant, quail, dove, crow, and buffalo. Deer, raccoon, squirrel, rabit, and possum, both hunted and road kill.

I think it's Ragnar Bensson(?) that basically says, if you marinate most any meat long enough, you can eat it, and it usually taste pretty good. My favorites are elk and shark. I can't eat shellfish and wont pay big bucks for lil' bits of raw fish n rice. :lolol:

Remembering some more. This is Russian/e.european. Cow tounge with horse radissh, chicken feet, heart, liver. Dried and smoked hearing with beer. Pork fat (sala) with beer.

We gotta lock this tread cause Im getting hungry now :)

In order:

Elk is wonderful.

Buffalo is really good.

Venison of course.

And a one timer: Cashew cat was good. I didn't know what I was eating, until later, but it was gooood!

That one would be a survival meal. Cats are filthy, disease-ridden creatures.

Deep fried Gator is GOOD!

Squid and Octopus are tasty too, altho Octopus is pretty chewy. Smoked and grilled Shark fillets are really good, just prepare and cook'em like Salmon.

I have had deep fried gator tail. It was a freshly harvested Caiman Alligator less than 6 foot long. You could cut it with a fork it was that tender I couldn't believe it could be that tender compared to restaurant served gator tails which were always gummy and tough to chew.

god only knows what the mystery meat on a stick was I ate after a binger on okinowas gate 2 street.

after enough booze everything covered in teriyaki sauce tastes the same.

As best i can tell it was probably yakitori which is a very generic term for meat on a stick. think of it as the asian equivalent of the american hot dog as its often gizzards or garbage cuts of meat.

Wikipidia came up with this list...

• hāto (ハート) or kokoro (こころ), chicken heart
  • rebā (レバー), liver
  • sunagimo (砂肝), or zuri (ずり) chicken gizzard
  • tsukune (つくね), chicken meatballs
  • (tori)kawa ((とり)かわ) chicken skin, grilled until crispy
  • tebasaki (手羽先), chicken wing
  • bonjiri (ぼんじり), chicken tail
  • shiro (シロ), chicken small intestines
  • nankotsu (なんこつ), chicken cartilage
  • toriniku, all white meat on skewer

[edit] Common non-poultry dishes

• ikada (筏) (lit. raft), Japanese scallion, with two skewers to prevent rotation
  • gyūtan (牛タン), beef tongue, sliced thinly
  • atsuage tōfu (厚揚げとうふ), deep-fried tofu
  • enoki maki (エノキ巻き), enoki mushrooms wrapped in slices of pork
  • pīman (ピーマン), green pepper
  • asuparabēkon (アスパラベーコン), asparagus wrapped in bacon
  • butabara (豚ばら), pork belly
  • ninniku (にんにく)garlic

Deep fried Gator is GOOD!

Squid and Octopus are tasty too, altho Octopus is pretty chewy. Smoked and grilled Shark fillets are really good, just prepare and cook'em like Salmon.

Boil the octo with wine corks, they'll remove most that rubbery texture. Same for squid.

god only knows what the mystery meat on a stick was I ate after a binger on okinowas gate 2 street.

after enough booze everything covered in teriyaki sauce tastes the same.

As best i can tell it was probably yakitori which is a very generic term for meat on a stick. think of it as the asian equivalent of the american hot dog as its often gizzards or garbage cuts of meat.

Wikipidia came up with this list...

• hāto (ハート) or kokoro (こころ), chicken heart
  • rebā (レバー), liver
  • sunagimo (砂肝), or zuri (ずり) chicken gizzard
  • tsukune (つくね), chicken meatballs
  • (tori)kawa ((とり)かわ) chicken skin, grilled until crispy
  • tebasaki (手羽先), chicken wing
  • bonjiri (ぼんじり), chicken tail
  • shiro (シロ), chicken small intestines
  • nankotsu (なんこつ), chicken cartilage
  • toriniku, all white meat on skewer

[edit] Common non-poultry dishes

• ikada (筏) (lit. raft), Japanese scallion, with two skewers to prevent rotation
  • gyūtan (牛タン), beef tongue, sliced thinly
  • atsuage tōfu (厚揚げとうふ), deep-fried tofu
  • enoki maki (エノキ巻き), enoki mushrooms wrapped in slices of pork
  • pīman (ピーマン), green pepper
  • asuparabēkon (アスパラベーコン), asparagus wrapped in bacon
  • butabara (豚ばら), pork belly
  • ninniku (にんにく)garlic

ROFL meat on a stick. Have eaten a few things that I am sure I regret. How about cicada? Anybody try those? A nutty crunch when cooked properly.

Oh ya, dog. My Pltn Sargents wife was Korean and they actually sold it at the PX on Ft. Polk. She did it like Cashew Chicken, damn that was good.

Frog legs(unless they're really big) are like eating dove to me, too much work for too little return.

And ya, Cicadas, but I tried them raw. They tasted "green" for lack of a better term. Maybe next year we'll try em cooked, lol.