BHO, anyone cut it down some?

The BHO's dont bother me at all but alot of guys trim it down. Just dont take to much off, it can slightly increase the chance of it getting lodged in the receiver.

Push it up to lock it in and then mark it. I've read of some just rounding the front edge off also.

• Like 1

+1^^^

That's what I do, but make sure you put the slight outward bend in your BHO side mainspring leg.

The bend will both ensure that the spring leg cannot creep into the center of the trigger bars which will cause the trigger to fail to completely reset & ensure that the BHO cannot tilt inward into the receiver & easily get sucked up in there.

While you're at it, notch the "dog-ear" that the BHO spring sits on so the spring cannot slip off it.

Good luck. :up:

Round the front of the lever off with a Dremel, won't affect function at all and gives enough clearance for comfort.

The notch to hold the rear leg of the spring in is a must-have on an S-12 but I didn't do it on any of my other Saigas. Unless you are in the mood to disassemble the FCG it'll be OK without it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On both my conversions I locked the BHO up and marked it with a pencil. Then after tearing the rifle apart I put the BHO in a softjawed vice and filed almost to the line. After conversions the BHO was nowhere near my finger and still long enough to not get wedged up in the reciever.

Yep... this is what I did also.

Left pic is with the BHO up (holding bolt back)... Right pic is down (doesn't touch finger anymore)

Saiga-BHO.jpg

I wouldn't trim anymore than that... or it could possibly get stuck up in the receiver.

What about just leaving the BHO out when you reassemble the FCG?

You can do this... many folks do... just be sure to get an UNmodified/full width hammer with your FCG. The modified hammers are shortened on one side to allow room for the BHO lever... like the stock Saiga hammer. An unmodified hammer... like this Tapco in the pic below... is full width and will takeup the space when you remove the BHO. Here's a good page with great pics about it

http://www.stu-offro...iga/saiga-8.htm

saiga223-41.jpg

Cheers!