Any good US made 5.45 Mags?

Ok the title says it all pretty much. Who has actually tried the domestic mags on the market and what is your opinion of them? Answers based on reliability first, would be appreciated....followed by any other comments you may have on what is available.

With the surplus Tantal and 74 mags becoming more and more hard to come by, it would be nice to have a good thread about the US mags, not to mention some folks want real Russian or Bulgy furniture and brake, so compliance can be an issue.

Only choices I'm aware of are Tapco and Promag. Has anyone tried both?

(Please keep the anti-promag comments out of this thread, unless you have actually tried the new Promag 5.45 mags and had a bad experience with these particular mags...thanks.)

Thanks for the input guys. Any other people with experience with these new mags, please chime in also. Haven't really heard anything about the domestic mags yet. I have some 7.62x39 mags from both MFGs, and they work great.

Think the Tapco's will work in a Saiga .223? Kinda a weird question, I thought they were only for 5.45, but if they work for .223 they'd be a great low cost option.

I have a Tapco 10 rounder 5.45x39 mag. Works perfectly in my Tantal and in my WASR-3, with 223 ammo. Picked up a couple of ProMag 30 rounders cheap. Wont lock in. Needs to have some taken off the top of the rear lug. Might works but I havent tried it yet.

Well I haven't tried feeding .223 from the Tapco mags, but I do remember back in the day having to modify the follower if you wanted to feed the .223 ammo from an AK-74 Bulgy Mag.

I guess I'll go ahead and order one of the Promags just to see for myself if it works. My bet is it will be fine for a range mag. I'm still ordering a couple of Tapcos also.

Oh before you mod your mag to fit the Saiga.... it's not the top of the rear lug you need to trim, it's the bottom. Reason for this is the Saiga mag catch is a tad longer, just for that purpose, to keep you from using standard AK mags. You need to either file the catch just a little to work with AK mags, or file each mag you plan to use in it, along the lower side of the rear lug, keeping the same angle for the catch to lock into.

Think the Tapco's will work in a Saiga .223? Kinda a weird question, I thought they were only for 5.45, but if they work for .223 they'd be a great low cost option.

I only have a 10 rounder. Some types of 5.45x39 30 rounders will work in my WASR-3 with 15 rounds. After that the base of the case starts dropping down at the back of the mag and the bolt rides over it. The 10 rounder is great for the bench. Tapco may have a Saiga 223 mag, check the net.

The 2 ProMags in 5.45x39 that I have dont come up far enough at the back when inserted. Taking some of the top of the lug will bring the feed lips up high enough to feed.

Edited by ironhead7544

Ahhh typical flawed design. I was referring to surplus mags and how you can fit them to work. Maybe I will wait to hear from someone who has them working before I waste any money on them. Thanks for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

Tapcos are good, they appear well made and don't break the bank either. However they lack the metal reinforcements of the Bulgarian polymer mags, but I have yet to break a Tapco. I haven't tried Promags in 5.45, but I have in 7.62x39 and .223, and I am not overwhelmed about them (a lot more loose fitting and some worked and some didn't, misfeeds and such if you held or pushed on the mag while firing). Personally, I would choose Tapco over promag any time.

• 1 month later...

Lots of people pooh-pooh ProMag magazines, but are just regurgitating what they've heard.

I haven't tried any in my Saiga yet, but I'd like to get a couple just to see if they would work well as a domestic source. I have however had ProMag magazines for three different handguns (and a Beretta CX4 Storm) and they all worked FINE. No mods needed.

I have 4 Tapco's, i had i FTF on the last round. I only shot 1 30 rd mag, and 1 20, and 2 15 rounders (I was just trying to see if i needed a bullet guide) I am not using a bullet guide, It has the flat trunion. i did absolutely nothing to make it fit in my rifle and they fit great. i am very happy to have bought these.