CSS Performance Puc range test review/report

When I saw the CSS performance Puc I knew that it would help out if a gun's gas block was set too far forward, or the op-rod was set too far rearward but upon just looking at it was unsure what difference it would make for just a performance gain on a gun that was set up correctly.

CSS%20Puc.JPG

My prototype S-12 usually runs like a raped ape & I didn't have any lousy running guns to test it on.

When I test a gun that I've had a hand in they always run with the factory puc or MD-arms stainless, so I was never able to do a good test to see if a puc was indeed a reliability increaser.

Well I finally had the opportunity.

I worked my personal gun into rotation to paint it because after 9 months being bounced around the shop to test your guys FCGs for proper function in GlassBolt it looked quite shameful.

Of course I masked off my polished rails, chamber & barrel hood & put rolled up paper in the end of the barrel, gas tube & gas block to mask those areas off.

Well I went up to do a test & my personal S-12 dumped a Russian 8 no problem with the factory puc.

However mid drum dump it turned in to a single-shot straight pull P.O.S.

Upon inspection I found that I'd missed removing a small piece of masking tape in the chamber & the paper part had worn through exposing the glue so shells were sticking to it creating quite a bit of added resistance. oops.gif

I fingered the tape out of there but couldn't get ALL the glue out, being as some of it was beyond the reach of my finger & I didn't bring adequate cleaning supplies so the hulls were being glued to the chamber as each were fired, not to mention the chamber obstruction decreasing chamber size slightly...

Well, I didn't think about the dremel I had for fine tuning of guns at the range (my car has a power inverter)

I tested again (winchester bulk pack crappy 8-shot ammo) & would still get an FTE every few shots.

(It did run well on setting 1 with Win-super-x .00 buck, I just test on ultra-crappy ammo to make sure it'll run it.)

So I had a CSS performance puc in my bag of testing tricks for just such an occasion, so I tossed it in...

Surprise! No more FTEs! 027.gif

To confirm that it wasn't just a fluke, I re-installed the factory puck & got occasional FTEs again, but switching to the CSS performance puc cured the FTEs once again.

My prototype personal gun is a 3 porter @ .093 with 1 partially obstructed port. & of course Pauly's GlassBolt System.

It ran great through most conditions before this (after tuning) so I never bothered to unobstruct the 1 port.

As many know, I build guns with enough gas to run without overgassing because that greatly increases the risk of carrier failure/cracking.

Removing the obstruction is now on the to-do list in the future when I get time.

But now I'm pleased to say Pauly's Steelin' Custom Fabrication can now officially endorse the CSS Performance Puc as a reliability increaser from first hand experience with emperical data backing my endorsment.

Those of you that know me well know that I'm not a snake oil salesman & if unsure of a product I generally just keep quiet about it & will not put my name behind an endorsement of said product being as my credibility is on the line with every endorsement.

Sure, Greg of CSS's a great guy with stellar customer service & ships lightning fast, but I don't vouch for something unless I've played around with & tested first hand, or seen MANY reports of function gain.

This is no longer the case with the CSS performance puc.

I can confidently state that this puc will make a borderline gun cycle much better after this test & additionally with its earlier contact with the op-rod than the factory puc, the initial contact is less violent due to the reduced running start before contact with the op-rod & it now being more of a long-stroke system it's a bit closer to a true AK's system of operation.

This will substantially reduce stress on the carrier & op-rod thus lengthening the service life of the weapon. smile.gif

On a side note, I re-polished my chamber after realizing I had my dremel & portable polishing kit & I removed the rest of the glue from the chamber & the gun ran tits again with the factory puc, but I was pleased that I screwed the pooch & had the opportunity to test the CSS performance puc to compile actual empirical data rather than subjective assumption.

Thanks Greg.

The Puc works as advertised & will now be the puc that I run in my personal S-12. 032.gif

I see it as a fail-safe in-case something goes wrong. Additionally I really do like the idea of a long-stroke system & the reduced wear on the carrier & op-rod from its earlier contact.

For the latter reason, I see no drawbacks to using this puc in a properly gassed gun, just benefits.

Plus, with my Russian wood, I needed another compliance part.

I run the MD-Molot grip for actual use. I just put the Polish bakelite PG on for pictures

Done1.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to test our products. That is great to hear from someone that has set the standard for bolt and carrier work.

The md booster puck works awesome too. Its the only reason my gun works. We need a comparison video with federal bulk on the farthest open gas setting with both pucks to see which one ejects farther, and test the factory pucks ejection to so we know how it compares to the performance pucks.

We have found that the Booster puc works slightly better on low brass weaker ammo, but is not recommended for any shells but low brass by the manufacture. The CSS puc can be used with all ammo sizes and power.

We have found that the Booster puc works slightly better on low brass weaker ammo, but is not recommended for any shells but low brass by the manufacture. The CSS puc can be used with all ammo sizes and power.

I'm curious what this puc would do in my over gassed saiga 12, I wonder if it would smooth the action out any or possible make it shoot even harder. I'd planned to get one when I do my conversion but since I've found my gun runs alittle hot I'm kinda thinking it'd make it even hotter. Have you had any experience with the puc's in over gassed saigas?