Saiga .308 Firing Pin... Anyone???

Does ANYONE have information on how to obtain a replacement firing pin for a .308??? With all the Saigas on the market there must be somewhere to get a pin besides Russia! I have talked to Brain at Dinzag Arms as well as several other places with no success. Fabricating one does not look feasible as the spring is captured. The AK47 spring is completely different as well so that is out. HELP!!!

post-36750-0-97312400-1317132009_thumb.jpg

I have come to the conclusion that there are no .308 firing pins in the USA - plenty of rifles but NO spare parts. I called both big importers as well as every shop listed on Google. I even called a couple that were not on line but suggested by the other shops. I think I am going to have to go through Russia directly. Now... I wonder how long it will take to learn Russian???

Tromix had replacements made for the Saiga 12. Perhaps he could arrange for them to be made.

Would anyone have an idea what steel these are made of? D2 perhaps?

It could be made using a lathe and mill. Start with round rod, shape the tip and the body. Then mill the body flat.

The problem is that the spring is captured meaning that it does not come off the pin. This makes the fabrication process a little harder Hopefully Tony at Tromix can find something he can work with to come up with a solution. He has a TON of experience!!!

I am still working on my Russian connection. Anyone have any Russian (or surrounding area) friends with family still over there?

There has to be a way to remove the spring. As you said, a firing pin couldn't be machined with the spring in place. The photo you posted looks like the spring could be removed by "unscrewing" it off the front of the firing pin. Hard to tell just from a photo, but they got it on somehow.

The parts problem is one of the drawbacks to owning a Saiga 308. I wish you luck at finding that part.

I wonder if any of the AK based 308 rifles like the Yugo would share the same firing pin?

But that being said, it would be just as hard finding a firing pin for that AK also.

I own a Saiga 308, so this topic interests me greatly too.

And of course the firing pin spring is removable, found that out when I stripped one of my S308's down for refinishing.

Edited by Sunset_Va
  • 2 weeks later...

Does ANYONE have information on how to obtain a replacement firing pin for a .308??? With all the Saigas on the market there must be somewhere to get a pin besides Russia! I have talked to Brain at Dinzag Arms as well as several other places with no success. Fabricating one does not look feasible as the spring is captured. The AK47 spring is completely different as well so that is out. HELP!!!

An AK74 non-spring captured firing pin should work without the spring. Yes, these are cheap and easy to buy. See KVAR You can use a non spring pin in your rifle. My Vepr also has a captured firing pin spring, but I have tried installing a regular AK74 firing pin with no problems. Just beware of the softer primers and perhaps be extra carefull when using them.

http://www.k-var.com...&cat=288&page=1

$11.19

Edited by my762buzz

So who is going to try the Kvar East German pin in their 308?

Asked Kvar for dimensions on it.

Length 3.382 inches

Width 0.146 inches

Thickness 0.065 inches

Also,

I have some actual Izmash saiga 7.62x39 extractors that are 0.270 inches wide-side facing out

and 0.525 inches long. The radius cut on the blade fits a .308 case head recess very tightly.

From looking at a .308 bolt head on another thread, I would be willing to bet that they might work in a .308 bolt.

Unfortunately, I don't have a .308 bolt to try them out. Anyone with a .308 bolt and a micrometer might be able to check the dimensions on the extractor against the ones above of the 7.62x39 extractor.

zko5ds.jpg

Edited by my762buzz

Well aint you just the patron saint of timely info! smile.png

Thanks!

The extractor would be good news and they can be modified to fit if too tight. I do the same with my Marlin boltie, the Savage extractors are steel not Injection Molded as the Marlin and just need a bit of material removed to fit.

Excellent all the way around.

That takes care of the two most common things that could go wrong on a bolt.

Edited by Rhodes1968