Stored Ammo Is Rusting

Hey, i had some wolf mil classic that i broke up and put in to a good condition cleaned out ammo can. Its been in there for about a month and i opened it up to reload some magazines i shot off and i noticed that the ammo in the can is starting to spot and discolor. Ive read that its fine to store loose ammo this way. i hope i didn't just waste a lot of money and ammo.

Any suggestions and comments are greatly welcomed!

Thank you in advance

madcow

ah christ... sandpaper? its 1000rds too :( oh well... live and learn! thank you all very much for the input. I also have a can of spray rem oil, would it be good/bad/indifferent if i were to coat the ammo in oil? they're sealed bullets and primers if that makes any difference.

Hey, i had some wolf mil classic that i broke up and put in to a good condition cleaned out ammo can. Its been in there for about a month and i opened it up to reload some magazines i shot off and i noticed that the ammo in the can is starting to spot and discolor. Ive read that its fine to store loose ammo this way. i hope i didn't just waste a lot of money and ammo.

Any suggestions and comments are greatly welcomed!

Thank you in advance

madcow

2.bmp

• Like 2

Unfortunately the Russian ammo is not sealed with lacquer the way US military ammo is. I had water get into the South African ammo cases (the dumb fucks had holes in the bottom) which got the ammo wet which won't fire anymore.

i thought 7n6 was sealed? i doubt the commercial shit is. but thats most ammo.

Ive shot lots of rusty tula and wolf and uly ammo. None have given me a single problem. If its just some spotting your good to go. Just be careful it you think its comprimising the strength of your cases, which would probably take quite a long time.

It seemed to me, that the ones I touched with my fingers, rusted where I touched them. Ive even seen some perfect rust fingerprints on my cases. Now I only touch the ones I shoot, and the ones I keep in my mags, I lightly grease with rubber gloves on.

I leave mine in the orginal boxes/paper. Haven't had an issue yet but the longest they've been stored is a year or so. And I store them in plastic tool boxes as well. If your container starts to rust, loose ammo ain't far behind. I like the rice idea.

• Like 1

Anything I'm storing long-term stays in boxes, gets put in a can with desiccant, labeled as to what's in there, and left alone.

Loading mags to store, I always wear rubber gloves so as to not get oil on the cases, and I rub each round with a patch soaked (not dripping) in Lucas rust preventative oil.. makes me feel pretty confident that they'll store well.

If I had some rounds that were starting to look bad, I would go ahead and designate them as my range ammo and shoot them up first. Then just start fresh with some stuff to store and make sure you don't touch the rounds with your bare hands, add plenty of silica, then leave them closed up until you absolutely need them. It's always a good idea to separate your short term stuff from your long term storage. You can never have too many ammo cans.

• Like 1