Possible to own NFA while in the barracks?

I want to buy a 8" S12 when I get back from deployment. Unfortanately I will be living in the barracks. Now, the way I understand the law, it would not be legal for me to store NFA items with a friend, and I'm not sure if it would be legal in the arms room. Have any of the other military members here dealt with a similar issue?

Not really. When I was in the barrack (Looooooong ago) even having a blade found in the locker was a big no no. I would guess you would have to go thru your CO to get the okay to have it and store it in the arms room before you initiate the NFA paperwork. Really wierd isn't it that those we intrust to operating the high tech select fire weapons of the world we restrict more than the general populace... Not fair IMO. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress so the info can be known and spread as needed.

I believe its possible yes.

Ask your chain of command the process for buying and owning a firearm while in the barracks.

I don't believe they will let you keep it in the barracks, you'll likly have to store it in the company armory. Thats the shitty part.

I can own firearms and store them in the arms room without any issue(other than the armorers fucking with my shit when they get bored). What I'm wondering is if that complies with NFA items, as they would not be in my immediate possession, and others would have potential access.

Thats a interesting point.

Does it count as access? after all federal employees can always ask to see your NFA weapons anyway can't they? Storing them in a federal building along side of fully automatic weapons seems like the only place the man would ever want a NFA weapon...

Somone on another site told me that I could keep it at someone else's place, as long as it was in a safe that I had the only key/combo for. Anoyone know if there is any truth to this statement?

That should be true. If you form a trust and have the firearm registered to the trust, it may also be possible to have the person storing it for you named on the trust.

I can own firearms and store them in the arms room without any issue(other than the armorers fucking with my shit when they get bored). What I'm wondering is if that complies with NFA items, as they would not be in my immediate possession, and others would have potential access.

I heard plenty of horror stories when I was still in in regards to armorers messing with people's personal weapons to include drawing them out and shooting them, then returning them dirty and fucked up. If they have access to your NFA item, I think that would be a No Go.

You would need permission from the base commander, your unit commander, your immediate supervisor, and basically everyone up your chain of command. Then all of the ATF stuff and approval from the Security forces/military police unit commander. I was able to do it back in 2004, and trust me, it's not worth it. Every time I went to get my leopard gun it was filthy and usually screwed up and scratched because the armory guys played with it.

I dunno, a friend of mine got a couple armorers busted and shitcanned for that. 'Disobeying a direct order' times a whole lot of counts indicates a lack of respect for military discipline, which triggers 'conduct unbecoming'. Which triggers misappropriation of goods (how many times did they burn up ammo that they weren't supposed to?), etc. Nasty, nasty investigation which resulted in lots of guys getting busted down or letters of reprimand, in addition to a couple that got drummed all the way out.

While you do have access to a free lawyer (trust/will lawyers at that!), I still don't think it's worth the headaches to try to own NFA while on base/in the service. If you're still determined to do it, either move offbase or find a friend that you trust enough to include in the trust. I would NOT trust someone to hold NFA items for me, even if they did not have a key to the safe.

Edited by Scott Kenny

You would need permission from the base commander, your unit commander, your immediate supervisor, and basically everyone up your chain of command. Then all of the ATF stuff and approval from the Security forces/military police unit commander. I was able to do it back in 2004, and trust me, it's not worth it. Every time I went to get my leopard gun it was filthy and usually screwed up and scratched because the armory guys played with it.

Was that with a NFA item or just simply storing a firearm in the armory? I don't think the BATFE would approve of a NFA item sitting in an armory with others having access to it. Also the fact you have to go through them to get to your property.

Sounds like way to much hassle to be worth it. I will most likey be ETS'ing july 2013, the only way i will stay in is if I can become a warrant aviation officer, in which case, I would live off post. Thanks for all the info guys.

And yeah, I dont trust the guys in the arms room at all, my entire platoon had all our personal slings stolen about 1 month before we deployed.

Edited by forceflow17

That was NFA. It was a 12" double barrel leopard gun, don't have it anymore. There are very specific instructions that have to be followed, You actuallyhave tocall your local field office to get them. ATF doesn't mind the military armory, presumably because there's already so much NFA stuff they can't touch.

Even if ATF trusts those clowns in the armory, *I* don't.

And for the record, I was the unit admin bitch**. Postal Clerk, Disbursing Clerk, Personnel clerk, Ossifer's admin clerk, and legal clerk, all rolled into one overworked, underpaid package.

**Had business cards made to back it up, too.

The ATF dosent trust anyone in your arms room, the militarys guns arent registered in the NFRTR they are sold directly to the DOD. They are exempt from all regulation.

Your options are limited.

Do some paperwork, get partial BAH, and live off post. You'll have to pay part of your living expences assuming your single. You'll have to figure out what to do with them if you deploy. You'll probably have to lock them in the arms room while deployed or get approval for permanent change of address.

Or: Keep your home of record, keep that state residency, pay that states taxes, and you can keep whatever guns you want there. You can do a 5320.20 and temp. take them back and forth to your duty station, exc. (you are allowed to have more than one home)

or: Get married, and get housing or full BAH.

Whatever you do, get a good safe.

Edited by mike123456

I can't get partial BAH, Fort Carson doesn't provide BAH to single soldiers below E-6. (not that many E-5's live in the barracks, they just pay out of pocket.) And, seeing as I don't plan on getting married anytime soon, I think I will just wait until I get out. But again, thanks for all the help guys!

If you do end up keeping it in the Arms Room, you could buy a short thin cable bike lock that you could thread thru the barrel, out the ejection port and lock it to discourage people from messin with it -- at the very least no one will be able to take it and shoot it w/o your permission. Just a thought.

I'm active duty USMC and have several NFA items, however before that fact I still had firearms that I did not want getting finger f*cked in the Armory. All you need to do is get the smallest self-storage unit you can find and you will be a-ok according to the letter of the law. If your folks, or someone you REALLY TRUST, are close to your duty station I would suggest getting a "Revocable Living Trust" (RLT) and making one of your parents a Co-Trustee. This way they can pick up your item from your dealer/SOT and store the weapon without fear of it sitting somewhere and rusting or getting messed with.

Semper Fi,

MCASSgt New River

I'm active duty USMC and have several NFA items, however before that fact I still had firearms that I did not want getting finger f*cked in the Armory. All you need to do is get the smallest self-storage unit you can find and you will be a-ok according to the letter of the law. If your folks, or someone you REALLY TRUST, are close to your duty station I would suggest getting a "Revocable Living Trust" (RLT) and making one of your parents a Co-Trustee. This way they can pick up your item from your dealer/SOT and store the weapon without fear of it sitting somewhere and rusting or getting messed with.

Semper Fi,

MCASSgt New River

I think that is the easiest and best way to go about it. I would go with the family member over the stop and rob self storage unit though. Unless you can lay hands on a hammer drill, welder, square tube, and one of those round no cut padlocks. Build yourself a cage around it and bolt it to the floor. And be sure you get a storage unit that only has interior access, and a gate prefferably with an armed guard,

Another issue with firearms in storage units. you have to declare them to the storage unit owners or you are in technical violation of the lease.

Now, that doesn't really matter, until someone steals your NFA items. Once that happens, though, you're in breach of contract, so the storage place is off the hook for your guns!

A Tromix 8" should fit in a decent sized bank safe deposit box, which is certainly sufficiently secure enough to pass ATF scrutiny. Particularly if you take the shark brake off and put on a thread protector. Safe deposit boxes are usually pretty affordable.

If you have someone you trust locally you can have a custom NFA trust created that prevents them from legally selling or disposing of the items. As long as you can trust them to not use them in a crime spree you would be ok.

Also I don't think it's required that they be in the same state as you, the form must has to state where they will be and they must be legal there.

You might be able to do a form 5 transfer to a local dealer to hold it for you, but you would need to discuss that with the ATF.

Either way, you might want to talk to both the ATF and a competent lawyer who is familiar with the issues.

Another issue with firearms in storage units. you have to declare them to the storage unit owners or you are in technical violation of the lease.

Now, that doesn't really matter, until someone steals your NFA items. Once that happens, though, you're in breach of contract, so the storage place is off the hook for your guns!

Umm... Depends on the lease. A lease is just a contract, and every one is different. That may be common in lease agreements, but I can tell you, factually, that it is not universal.

Yeah. "Sporting Goods" generally covers that little technical issue.

Keep in mind some Military bases/posts are now requiring those living in housing who are allowed to keep firearms to register them with Security Forces/Provost Marshall regardless of what it is.

that has always been the case, since 75 when I first entered the Army.

The Marine Corps is completely open to this idea. When I first got arrived in Yuma I went straight to the base police. Well regardless to say they were a little surprised to see me whip out my 8" Tromix, a SMG and a few other NFA goodies to get them registered so I could apply for base housing. Bad part is I never really needed to since I opted to live off base.

MCASSgt New River