How does one put a side folding stock on a Saiga 5.45?

Romanian side folders require no modding to the receiver, and installs in minutes.

They are a little hard to find, and are still in the $70-$80 price range.

Perfect for a the low recoil of the 5.45.

Where would I look if I wanted to buy one of those? I haven't seen them anywhere.

The Ace on my 5.45 is fine. It is straight with a little wiggle that isn't an issue when firing. Would like to pick up a Romanian wire folder and a AK100 folder for future projects.

The most affordable/simple quality set up would be the wire folder.

45mag2.jpg

• Like 1

I have never gotten around to installing an ACE, it's a popular option and their stocks are pretty high quality. It involves adding an adapter and cutting the rear tang on the trunnion, which means you can never put a regular fixed stock on it again.

I don't particularly like the Romanian wire folders, but they don't require any mods to your gun and lock up pretty tight. They will beat up your cheek unless you pad them.

Tapco is sub-standard, even though it is easy and cheap. Had one and will never get another.

If you really want a good folding stock, and don't mind paying for one, get a 100-series poly folder. They rock. But require $300 in hardware plus labor for installation. It's not simple. But it's worth it.

K-VAR has a screw-in 100-series style that doesn't require modifying or replacing the rear trunnion. I have never shot one, they look kinda fugly and aren't cheap, but in some ways it's a reasonable compromise. If you're a big guy and don't mind an extra LOP maybe worth looking into.

Edited by rob-cubed

I am patiently waiting for Slidefire to release a stock for AK's and am hesitant to install another ACE because I am pretty sure they will require the tang. I have an ACE on my 12 and I am happy with it although it does have some wiggle. I wish it were more like an AMD folder as they lock up very tight with no wiggle.