Promag compact drum quality

Its been a while since I've been around but now I see that promag has come out with a 10 round compact drum. I do have 10 round AGP mags but I just don't like how long they are. I've been waiting for a 10 round drum and was hoping MD arms would come out with one but I doubt that will happen. So I have seen some positive reviews on the promag compact drums. Anyone have some experience or pics to get an idea of the size? Here is a pic of my Saiga, I had CGW do the conversion a year and a half ago while they were fixing my vodka special:

DSC00079.jpg

The promag drum holds 12rds not 10. I have 4 and they all work flawlessly.

They make a 10rd and 12rd mini drum.

I've had two 12's, sold one kept the other. They both have worked perfectly

It protrudes out of the receiver about (roughly) as far as the factory 5rd mag does.

I have a MD -20 drum which was so tight out the box, that I had to shave off a little from the very front sides and also had to perform the A and B rear fitment as well. The fit now is very good. Very tight and no wobble whatsoever. However, the Promag 12 rnd drum that I just got (and hadn't fitted yet), is very loose and wobbles from side to side. It even seats all the way down but doesn't click and lock. I guess a little shaving off of the rear is needed but I question it, as again, it seems to be all the way down. My concern though is how loose it is with so much "side to side" wobble. Am I the only one with this and if not, when I get it to lock, will it operate fine regardless? Really like the size and don't want there to be a problem because I'd like to get another one also.

Edited by In-Guage

I have a MD -20 drum which was so tight out the box, that I had to shave off a little from the very front sides and also had to perform the A and B rear fitment as well. The fit now is very good. Very tight and no wobble whatsoever. However, the Promag 12 rnd drum that I just got (and hadn't fitted yet), is very loose and wobbles from side to side. It even seats all the way down but doesn't click and lock. I guess a little shaving off of the rear is needed but I question it, as again, it seems to be all the way down. My concern though is how loose it is with so much "side to side" wobble. Am I the only one with this and if not, will it operate fine regardless? Really like the size and don't want there to be a problem because I'd like to get another one also.

Both of the ones i have had, have had a loose, wobbly fit but function was/is perfect. For comparison sake, my MD20 only needed a slight amount fitting per directions on fitment "B" .

Edited by Mullet Man

ordered one last week and had to file the sides (shelves) a bit on each side. wound up with some side wobble and a little front to rear play but clicks in solid and has no effect on function, works perfect. would definitely buy again.....nice compact size too. 032.gif

I have a MD -20 drum which was so tight out the box, that I had to shave off a little from the very front sides and also had to perform the A and B rear fitment as well. The fit now is very good. Very tight and no wobble whatsoever. However, the Promag 12 rnd drum that I just got (and hadn't fitted yet), is very loose and wobbles from side to side. It even seats all the way down but doesn't click and lock. I guess a little shaving off of the rear is needed but I question it, as again, it seems to be all the way down. My concern though is how loose it is with so much "side to side" wobble. Am I the only one with this and if not, will it operate fine regardless? Really like the size and don't want there to be a problem because I'd like to get another one also.

Both of the ones i have had, have had a loose, wobbly fit but function was/is perfect. For comparison sake, my MD20 only needed a slight amount fitting per directions on fitment "B" .

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear, I guess. There does seem to be quite a "night and day" difference between MD Arms and Promags.

ordered one last week and had to file the sides (shelves) a bit on each side. wound up with some side wobble and a little front to rear play but clicks in solid and has no effect on function, works perfect. would definitely buy again.....nice compact size too.

032.gif

I had to fit my (nut-sack) 12 round drum by shaving a little off the shelves, but once fit it works great! I would have no problem owning a stack of those mags. I have an ACE folder,and it just barely locks in place with the drum. Overall size is a little wider than two factory mags put together, and about the same length. Don't hesitate to buy one! I like the 12 and 10 round drum size better than my 20 round drum for sure.

I have 2 12rd drums and they are alittle loose was told by promag that it is ok to have alittle wobble.And both work perfectly was warned by dealer to stay away from 20rd (feed issues)don't like the bulk of 20rd drums.

I have a promag 20 and it works fine. The people who say that are elitistists or haters. It too does wobble but has never given me any issues at all. I want a couple 12 rounders for their size. The 20 round drums are a novelty, but the 12's are actually practical.

For those with defective mags above, promag gave me good customer service and I will almost guarantee if you call they will fix your issues.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I've got a 10 rounder. It's junk.

It locks in fine without much fitting, but it won't feed reliably with any of the 10+ types of ammo, both high and low brass in 2 3/4 shells that I've tried. Multiple emails to the tech support email address at promag have gone unanswered.

I would avoid them. I'm waiting for someone else to come out with a 10 round drum as I can't use the 20 rounders here in California.

What kind of carrying pouch would hold a 12 round drum? SAW 200 rnd? I don't have one yet so I was hoping that one of you owners could let me know.

Thanks, Russell

the best pouch I have found is the blackwater pvs14 nightvision pouch. Padded and a perfect fit. You can find them on clearance with with a little google-fu

To confirm, both the 10 and 12 round ProMag drums are the same size, except the latter holds two more rounds. Please advise. Thanks.

Correct, same size. The 10s are for those who insist to live in states where their constitutional freedoms are limited.