muzzle brake made my rifle louder?>?

hey guys i finally got to shoot my rifle today after installing the 74 brake and after the duracoat job and it seems louder? is this normal? i can tell a hell of alot of difference in the rising of the barrel and its def more stable but seems much louder? is something wrong?

hey guys i finally got to shoot my rifle today after installing the 74 brake and after the duracoat job and it seems louder? is this normal? i can tell a hell of alot of difference in the rising of the barrel and its def more stable but seems much louder? is something wrong?

It does not increase the overall sound energy. It just redirects hot gases like a jet engine closer to your ears.

The whole point is it is there to keep your rifle on target when rapid firing or full auto.

• Like 1

^^^ what he said. You think it is louder. But it only changes the sound of the the rifle to you and those close to you. You should be wearing ear protection anyways. naaaa.gif A muzzle brake has a very specific purpose, it serves this purpose very well. Unless you are trying to hide flash then a muzzle brake is great. If you want to hide the flash of the muzzle then go for a flash suppressor. But these will also change the sound of the rifle.

"It's louder"?!

Who the hell isn't wearing hearing protection when they fire their Saiga rifles? :unsure:

Yes, the '74-type brake, (more especially if it's a true reproduction, i.e. not the Tapco), might be louder for those standing to the sides of the shooter...

muzzleflashlvl31.jpg

I'll agree to a point about wearing ear protection, but in a real situation are you grabbing ear protection first, I think not. I make it a point to shoot some rounds without ear protection, just to keep myself aware of what it's like in actual shooting. You won't always have ear protection and shooting glasses on. I can't imagine how loud my saiga would be in a some what enclosed area would be!

• Like 1

I'll agree to a point about wearing ear protection, but in a real situation are you grabbing ear protection first, I think not. I make it a point to shoot some rounds without ear protection, just to keep myself aware of what it's like in actual shooting. You won't always have ear protection and shooting glasses on. I can't imagine how loud my saiga would be in a some what enclosed area would be!

Not too bad, maybe. I wouldn't fret on this matter too much. I hate to admit this, but I had a negligent discharge in the house once with my Saiga 5.45. My primary rifle was partially disassembled for some changes, so I picked up my backup for HD duty that night. I hadn't used it in a while, and had forgotten that I had not fully reassembled the FCG the last time I had messed with it. When I ran the bolt to load in a round, it fired. (I was lucky it did not slamfire, considering the condition of the FCG). Fortunately, the rifle was pointed toward the floor. I was amazed how not-loud it seemed to me; my ears weren't even ringing. However, my freaked-out wife, who was to the _side_ of the rifle, did have ringing ears and a headache for a while. It helps to be behind the rifle, as we all know from being on the firing line. (Quite a bit, actually). Also, in certain parts of the house, carpet, furniture, drapes, etc., will absorb a fair amount of the sound.

Edited by Jim Digriz

The first shot I fired through my x39 with an FSC 47 made my ears ring even though I was wearing earplugs. Earplugs had always served me fine with every other firearm I've ever fired (including the 308 I was firing immediately beforehand). I decided that the flinching the brake induced was more detrimental to follow up shots than whatever marginal improvements in recoil and muzzle rise that brake provided over a slant or A2-style flash hider/comp. If you're already deaf, you may not be as sensitive to this issue. I decided I'd rather keep my hearing than shoot a tiny bit faster.

Admittedly, it's the only actual brake I have any experience with. I'd like to try a proper 74 brake someday, but I'm not willing to go through the hassle and expense of buying and installing new FSB and brake when what I have now suits me fine and only cost $25..

Jim - did you ever try out the AK battlecomp?

The first shot I fired through my x39 with an FSC 47 made my ears ring even though I was wearing earplugs.

I was near a guy the other day who was shooting a PTR91 with an FSC30 on a 16 inch barrel. It's the loudest thing I ever heard at the range. Fortunately I had already doubled up with ear plugs and muffs.

Jim - did you ever try out the AK battlecomp?

No, but I have the BABC Battlecomp for my S308 waiting in the wings, as soon as the gunsmith becomes ready to install it. After my experience with the FSC30 mentioned above, and also my experience with the standard Battlecomp on a 5.56 rifle, I'm wondering whether in fact the planned 17.25 inch length for my 308 will be too short, in terms of blast and noise. I'm sure the Battlecomp will be more tame than an FSC30, but how much more?

I tried the Battlecomp on a Kel Tec SU 16. VERY noticeable reduction in muzzle rise, but it is pretty loud. I also have the Manticore Arms Night Brake for the AK74 front sight block. The design is similar to the Battlecomp, but I can't say I've noticed it causing the rifle to be a lot louder; but then, I've barely used it so far.

Jim

• Like 1

lol yeah i didnt have my ear plugs in at first.. then i def put them in after a few shots. but that 74 brake helped dramatically with muzzle rise.. it works awesome. i have to say that my ak is way louder than my new 12 guage i just got.

i have to say that my ak is way louder than my new 12 guage i just got.

Try firing a Ruger Alaskan .454 with full power loads at an indoor range.

It will probably make you forget how loud your AK is.

I shoot the 7.5 inch barrel version at a local indoor range with mid level loads

and that has caused the range to evacuate fairly quick.

I want the snubbie version even though I know it will get much louder.

RugerAlaskan3.jpg

i have to say that my ak is way louder than my new 12 guage i just got.

Try firing a Ruger Alaskan .454 with full power loads at an indoor range.

It will probably make you forget how loud your AK is.

I shoot the 7.5 inch barrel version at a local indoor range with mid level loads

and that has caused the range to evacuate fairly quick.

I want the snubbie version even though I know it will get much louder.

RugerAlaskan3.jpg

NICE revolver !

I'm well aware of the colorful tape concerning full blown silencers, but can you legally quieten your rifle say to 65 decibels or so?

Noise suppressors are legal to own with tax stamp paperwork.

yes, hence the "tape" reference. I didn't say suppressors were illegal. I'm just talking about making a rifle less noisy. Is there a muzzle device that would dampen the sound somewhat, but not fall into suppressor territory. A 22 rimfire is plenty quiet, can I make my 7.62 sound like a .22?

Sorry if I didn't seem clear.

I don't think you can suppress the report without putting a suppressor on, at least by ATF rules. The best you could probably do would be to get a longer barrel which wouldn't suppress the report ,just put it farther from your ears, thus make the report you actually hear less.

I don't think you can suppress the report without putting a suppressor on, at least by ATF rules. The best you could probably do would be to get a longer barrel which wouldn't suppress the report ,just put it farther from your ears, thus make the report you actually hear less.

Yes, the ATF considers any direct attempt to lessen the noise even by 1 decibel as NFA territory requiring a tax stamp.

A longer barrel will not only keep the blast farther away from your ears but will also absorb more expanding gases and reduce

the overall muzzle blast. This is the only method that is free from legal implications.

As a reference example of this method.

www. metrogun .com

Question: Is Metro Gun legal?

Answer: Yes, the US Government agency, USDA, uses the Metro Gun System for nuisance pest-control as do several other agencies. This gun system has been cleared by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and is not considered to be a silencer.

Question: How quiet is the system?

Answer: 72 Db, or about as loud as a car door closing, or two people talking at a range of about 150 feet. (Just above the level of a silencer.)

Actually, a longer barrel WILL result in a lesser report.

Yes, the ATF considers any direct attempt to lessen the noise even by 1 decibel as NFA territory requiring a tax stamp.

A longer barrel will not only keep the blast farther away from your ears but will also absorb more expanding gases and reduce

the overall muzzle blast. This is the only method that is free from legal implications.

www. metrogun .com

Answer: Yes, the US Government agency, USDA, uses the Metro Gun System for nuisance pest-control as do several other agencies. This gun system has been cleared by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and is not considered to be a silencer.

Answer: 72 Db, or about as loud as a car door closing, or two people talking at a range of about 150 feet. (Just above the level of a silencer.)

Thanks for the replies.

I think the idea that you can't reduce the sound by 1 decibel is rediculous. How do they intend to regulate that? Really, depending on where they measure from, you could have substancial differences in noise levels.

Let's say you buy an Ar rifle and remove the factory muzzle device, if the ATF where standing there measuring noise levels (at that time), they would notice a difference.

Do they have a set standard on how they measure the noise?

If a .22 is no more illegal than a .223 or 7.62 then when will they make the law stating that all calibers of all firearms must have the same report level?horror.gif

• Like 1

www. metrogun .com

Thanks for the replies.

I think the idea that you can't reduce the sound by 1 decibel is rediculous. How do they intend to regulate that? Really, depending on where they measure from, you could have substancial differences in noise levels.

Let's say you buy an Ar rifle and remove the factory muzzle device, if the ATF where standing there measuring noise levels (at that time), they would notice a difference.

If a .22 is no more illegal than a .223 or 7.62 then when will they make the law stating that all calibers of all firearms must have the same report level?horror.gif

There in lies the problem as to what is legal. From some reports I've heard, many times it depends on a case by case thing and how froggy a given ATF agent feels at the time. And since they don't have to worry about legal fees/court cost, they usually win, even though their original point many not be legal. Even if you get something in writing it still may not hold up in court, depending on whose signature is on a written report giving you legal permission to do something. Be very careful when dealing with questionable firearms and modifications! Kind of like an LEO can lie to you, but you can't lie to them type of deals. Just get the proper stamp and be done with it. It's money and time well spent on your part.

www. metrogun .com

Thanks for the replies.

There in lies the problem as to what is legal. From some reports I've heard, many times it depends on a case by case thing and how froggy a given ATF agent feels at the time. And since they don't have to worry about legal fees/court cost, they usually win, even though their original point many not be legal. Even if you get something in writing it still may not hold up in court, depending on whose signature is on a written report giving you legal permission to do something. Be very careful when dealing with questionable firearms and modifications! Kind of like an LEO can lie to you, but you can't lie to them type of deals. Just get the proper stamp and be done with it. It's money and time well spent on your part.

This sounds about par for the course. Thanks Federal Government, you rock.booo.gif