Which is the latest Russian version of the 5.45 rifle?

Why not buy a Arsenal SGL31-61 for $830 and save yourself the hassle of converting and using Bulgarian or other than Russian parts? They just sold out of the Bulgarian SLR-105s again but that was the gun to have. Everyone who has a SLR loves them, for what ever reason they are the best shooting AKs. I have converted a couple of Saigas and what nobody tells you is that for a 100-200 more you could have an Arsenal that will hold its resale value. I have a couple of Saigas that I have put 900-1000 bucks into, I would be lucky to get $650. Now if you want a beater and put cheap parts on it then the conversion is probably the way to go.

Why not buy a Arsenal SGL31-61 for $830 and save yourself the hassle of converting and using Bulgarian or other than Russian parts? They just sold out of the Bulgarian SLR-105s again but that was the gun to have. Everyone who has a SLR loves them, for what ever reason they are the best shooting AKs. I have converted a couple of Saigas and what nobody tells you is that for a 100-200 more you could have an Arsenal that will hold its resale value. I have a couple of Saigas that I have put 900-1000 bucks into, I would be lucky to get $650. Now if you want a beater and put cheap parts on it then the conversion is probably the way to go.

I do not know much about the SLR-105s. What makes them the best shooting AKs? How do they compare with the Arsenal SGL31-61? What are the differences between those and a standard Saiga 5.45? I'm more interested in differences that are functional, like sights, stocks, etc. Cosmetic stuff which is not functional I do not really care about.

bulgarian vs. russian is the main difference. i may be wrong but all the slr 105's have the nato length stock. with an sgl, you can choose that or warsaw length. if your getting a 105, get the A1 R. its the model with the front sight block with bayonet lug, 24mm threaded muzzle brake, accessory lug, side rail for scope. but i think its been archived. prolly be better off gettin the sgl 31 like niner said.

basically if your wanting an ak-74 or an ak-105 as close as possible to the russian military version without having to convert, go with the sgl 31 series.

Edited by Captain Hero

the AK74M is the russian current issue. I ignore all the naw get bulgarian, arsenal this arsenal that junk. and you can too. it all depends on what you want. I take the op as asking how to have all russian, not a bulgarian clone. all a sgl is, is a converted saiga..., some say they dont ever even have the sporter holes in them, but I dont know. I want all russian, and to start where its affordable. so I am thinking this is what the op wants

the AK74M is the russian current issue. I ignore all the naw get bulgarian, arsenal this arsenal that junk. and you can too. it all depends on what you want. I take the op as asking how to have all russian, not a bulgarian clone. all a sgl is, is a converted saiga..., some say they dont ever even have the sporter holes in them, but I dont know. I want all russian, and to start where its affordable. so I am thinking this is what the op wants

Yes, nothing against the Bulgarian ones, but since it is starting as a Russian gun, I'd prefer all Russian. What do I need to do to do that?

Some things may seem obvious to some people, but I'm learning, so I have to ask for detailed help.

you need a 5.5mm folding trunnion, the corresponding folding polymer stock, either with a slot on the bottom rear for a strap on pad, or unslotted(my preference)... you will need a pistol grip reinforcement plate, a pistol grip, a fcg if you havent got one, the sight leaf, the handguards, handguard retainer, gas tube, gas block, front sight base(long collared) and buzzle brake(long collared)...that should be about it other then cleaning rod, optional buttpad, small springs, and plunger for the fsb.

you need a 5.5mm folding trunnion, the corresponding folding polymer stock, either with a slot on the bottom rear for a strap on pad, or unslotted(my preference)... you will need a pistol grip reinforcement plate, a pistol grip, a fcg if you havent got one, the sight leaf, the handguards, handguard retainer, gas tube, gas block, front sight base(long collared) and buzzle brake(long collared)...that should be about it other then cleaning rod, optional buttpad, small springs, and plunger for the fsb.

o yea, rivets, pins, bayonet and mags too :P

I do not know much about the SLR-105s. What makes them the best shooting AKs? How do they compare with the Arsenal SGL31-61? What are the differences between those and a standard Saiga 5.45? I'm more interested in differences that are functional, like sights, stocks, etc. Cosmetic stuff which is not functional I do not really care about.

Well what make the Bulgarians the best shooters is purely subjective but I have owned several AKs as do all the guys we shoot with, none will sell their Bulgys. I think and I am sure Zen will straighten me out if I am wrong, but the SLRs are built on Russian tooling when the Russians introduced the newest AK series. Also in my opinion the QC of the Bulgarians is much better than their drunkin cousins. There is no functional difference between the two.

Yes, nothing against the Bulgarian ones, but since it is starting as a Russian gun, I'd prefer all Russian. What do I need to do to do that?

Some things may seem obvious to some people, but I'm learning, so I have to ask for detailed help.

Buy a SGL, do you know what a Russian gas block and correct muzzle device costs? Not to mention the furniture. If you want correct then buy it, don't piece it together, back in the day you couldn't get a full russian gun so you had to piece it together. Not so anymore.

Edited by NinerRider

What? Yeah a SGL is a Saiga without holes, it has the correct gas block with bayo lug, correct muzzle device and all the furniture for 922r compliance. Have you seen any weld marks on an SGL to fill the holes? No, well good bet it never had them. If you want to make a affordable clone that is correct that isn't going to happen. It is much cheaper to buy the original which as stated from personal and current gun vales will hold its value much better than some pieced together gun.

"Well what make the Bulgarians the best shooters is purely subjective but I have owned several AKs as do all the guys we shoot with, none will sell their Bulgys. I think and I am sure Zen will straighten me out if I am wrong, but the SLRs are built on Russian tooling when the Russians introduced the newest AK series. Also in my opinion the QC of the Bulgarians is much better than their drunkin cousins. There is no functional difference between the two."

No, the Bulgarians don't have the latest Russia tooling.They are not up to AK-100 specs. Izhmash considers their guns to be illegal counterfeits. I saw a thing about this on Russian TV. In one scene from that report, Izhmash and Arsenal Bulgaria were both at the same international trade show and Izhmash people tried to confront Arsenal reps, but those guys were hiding. :)

• Like 1
The Saiga 5.45 on Centerfire ad states it will accept AK mags. http://centerfiresystems.com/sai-545.aspx The ad on JG says it will not. http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/saiga-5-45x39-sporter-rifle%2C-tgi-import%2C-new-/products_id/5887. Are these two different rifles?

The 545 will accept AK mags with no mods.

My 545 works great with Tapco 545 mags and no bullet guide.

If you want to make a affordable clone that is correct that isn't going to happen.

Care to elaborate? The correct Russian parts are available if you know where to look, and they're not really that much more expensive than Bulgarian parts. There really isn't that much to buy if you want a legit Russian clone. $300.00 Saiga and another $400.00 or so in parts. Assuming the work is done by yourself and not by paying someone to do it, you can build a legit Russian clone slightly cheaper than buying an Arsenal. Even if you paid someone to do the work, it's still affordable and correct, if that's what someone is going after.

• Like 1

Aesthetics vs functionality (Capital "F" on that is important!). Get a Saiga 5.45 for cheap, get the minimal parts to convert (about $100-120 roughly) and you have an "ugly" (atypical) AK that is just as accurate as the newly ak-100s that have the furniture on them.... Information is based off of my AK 5.45 saiga with just a Tapco trigger group, trigger guard, stock, hogue grip (for 108 w/shiping) vs a buddy's fully arsenal sgl for close to $700. YMMV... Self convert is the funniest and self gratifying way to get an accurate 5.45 AK74 IMO

• Like 1

Aesthetics vs functionality (Capital "F" on that is important!). Get a Saiga 5.45 for cheap, get the minimal parts to convert (about $100-120 roughly) and you have an "ugly" (atypical) AK that is just as accurate as the newly ak-100s that have the furniture on them.... Information is based off of my AK 5.45 saiga with just a Tapco trigger group, trigger guard, stock, hogue grip (for 108 w/shiping) vs a buddy's fully arsenal sgl for close to $700. YMMV... Self convert is the funniest and self gratifying way to get an accurate 5.45 AK74 IMO

i actually just bought a 5.45 last week and am trying to convert it. what were the exact basic things you had to get for it? i know i need a tapco fcg, pistol grip, stock... do i need a bullet guide as well?

what else is there that i would need to get as far as screws etc for the basic conversion?

also, does yours accept standard milspec mags?

thanks a lot!