Sapson brand ammo, 124gr hp

I was just at my local gun shop and found something interesting, Sapson brand ammo. So I took one out and looked closely inside the hollow point, and sure enough, prefail cuts. There was only 5 boxes left so I bought all them, for 6bucks a piece.

Has anyone had, seen or shot these before? Im wondering if these are new or old, and if i can expect to see them more often.

and the spec side...

and the head stamp...

post-31894-0-29432300-1317749286_thumb.jpg

post-31894-0-70470700-1317749378_thumb.jpg

post-31894-0-53163200-1317749464_thumb.jpg

Has anyone had, seen or shot these before? Im wondering if these are new or old, and if i can expect to see them more often.

That is the same ammo that is used in the hog hunt on this thread.

http://www.texashunt...opics/1890654/1

It was also sold in white boxes with blue trim as seen in this picture above the bird and another

version of it as military classic hp. It is the most lethal 7.62x39 bullet design that has been imported from

Russia. The bullet enters flesh and quickly explodes open. The closest US equivalent is the Hornady plastic tip ammo.

I tested both out on milk jugs http://www.youtube.c...u/0/mhyZ9ZoPJ90

Shot 2 is the sapsan aka 8m3 you posted a picture of. Shot 3 is hornady

russia1.jpg

It was also sold in white boxes with blue trim as seen in this picture above the bird and another

version of it as military classic hp. It is the most lethal 7.62x39 bullet design that has been imported from

Russia. The bullet enters flesh and quickly explodes open. The closest US equivalent is the Hornady plastic tip ammo.

russia1.jpg

Excellent info. What do you know about the box in the middle on the top? I had never seen them before and came across them at a store a month or so ago but the box didn't say much and the cartridges were sealed in a paper wrap so I couldn't check the headstamp.

russia1.jpg

Excellent info. What do you know about the box in the middle on the top? I had never seen them before and came across them at a store a month or so ago but the box didn't say much and the cartridges were sealed in a paper wrap so I couldn't check the headstamp.

Barnaul ammo nearly or exactly like Brown bear.

It seems like good stuff. I was getting 2-3" groups with open sights at 100yds( would be better with a scope though). I backyard milk jug tested it against a tula 122HP and it did blow it out a bit more. Im glad I got them, I really hope I can stock up on em.

I know the wolf and the sapson have the same 'bullet', with different factory loadings. What Im getting at is, (maybe a dumb question) should accuracy be close between the three loadings? I know these ones are good, but If I find real sapson m8 bullets in different cartrige, should they at least be close?

Edited by Boomsick42

It seems like good stuff. I was getting 2-3" groups with open sights at 100yds( would be better with a scope though). I backyard milk jug tested it against a tula 122HP and it did blow it out a bit more. Im glad I got them, I really hope I can stock up on em.

I know the wolf and the sapson have the same 'bullet', with different factory loadings. What Im getting at is, (maybe a dumb question) should accuracy be close between the three loadings? I know these ones are good, but If I find real sapson m8 bullets in different cartrige, should they at least be close?

Wolf black box ammo is a different grain weight and different bullet design. The Mil Classic camo box has the same bullet.

As far as accuracy, the same identical bullet should behave the same in various loadings, but the powder load would be the greater defining factor. For accuracy, you want a powder load that produces the same pressure curve every single time and the the same exact muzzle velocity every single time. Sapsan might have been loaded x-amount of pressure and x-amount of velocity. Wolf Mil Classic camo box might have been loaded with a different powder load that produces more or less pressure and more or less velocity. Even cartridges within the same factory loadings, can be loaded with slight variations. This is most observable by measuring a set of velocities and determining the standard deviation range. The lower the standard deviation means more consistent and therefore a more precise flight path.

If your concerned whether or not Mil Classic will impact at the same point of impact as Sapsan, I have noticed that the Mil classic and Sapsan I own seem to be close enough.

Edited by my762buzz

Not any more. Military Classic from WPA no longer has the 8M3 bullet.

"Barnaul ammo nearly or exactly like Brown bear."

Good to know, I got some Red Hammer, which I found out later is another name used by Barnaul, awhile back and the round looks alot like the above pics(need to check the headstamp). Daci(my RPK) REALLY liked it. At one point I was doing 1-2" groups at 100yrds. With several hole to holes, with irons. The next closest was Win SP at 2-3".

Couldn't do it the next trip though, but by the time I got to the RH ammo, the sun was reflecting like a search light off my orange front sight post and I was seeing double.

russia1.jpg

Hornady 7.62x39 is Cabela's brand. The ammo actually made in Russia by the same manufacturer. e.g Ulyanovsk.

According to whom?

russia1.jpg

Hornady 7.62x39 is Cabela's brand. The ammo actually made in Russia by the same manufacturer. e.g Ulyanovsk.

I think that you're thinking of Herter's not Hornady. Hornady is made in NE I believe.

I also would like to know more about the claims of the WPA Military Classic no longer having the 8m3 bullet. That would be a real shame.

russia1.jpg

The bullet itself is a Hornady product made in America. Hornady has some sort of agreement to have their bullet loaded in steel cartridges.

The Hornady plastic tip bullet I tested was on the same level of destructiveness as 8m3 from Russia.

http://www.hornady.com/store/7.62-Cal-.310-123gr-SST/

bullets-sst-pkg.jpg

The next chance I get to buy some of the next Russian shipment of Wolf MC I am going to cut one open and check.

russia1.jpg

The bullet itself is a Hornady product made in America. Hornady has some sort of agreement to have their bullet loaded in steel cartridges.

The Hornady plastic tip bullet I tested was on the same level of destructiveness as 8m3 from Russia.

http://www.hornady.c....310-123gr-SST/

bullets-sst-pkg.jpg

The next chance I get to buy some of the next Russian shipment of Wolf MC I am going to cut one open and check.

Yeap, Herter's. Sorry.

According to whom?

Dealer/distributors and the order I just received.

According to whom?

Dealer/distributors and the order I just received.

Something that might not have even been considered before is that maybe it is an improved version of the old 8m3 that works even better. It is odd that it holds the same 124 grain weight which has been distinct to 8m3 since it was first imported.

Wolf Black box hollow points have been 122 gr

Bear hp 123 gr

Anyone have some of the latest edition of mil classic hp to check for the jacket cuts?

WMCULYHP_3.jpg

Yup. 1K of it.

Is the jacket thinner? Are the cuts there? Is the cavity the same depth?

No cuts, by both visual and probe checking. Same checks against my old stock of MC found them. Depth appears about the same but the tip hole is smaller. Same 124gr bullet weight.

Have you tried shooting water containers to determine any kind of terminal performance indication?

Yup. 1K of it.

No cuts, by both visual and probe checking. Same checks against my old stock of MC found them. Depth appears about the same but the tip hole is smaller. Same 124gr bullet weight.

Have you tried shooting water containers to determine any kind of terminal performance indication?

Nope, just arrived this week and no time to get out for testing.

Of interesting note, Tulammo (out of Round Rock, TX) now has both 122gr and 124gr HP product offerings. Just put 1K of the new 124GR HP on order this morning.

Yup. 1K of it.

Nope, just arrived this week and no time to get out for testing.

Of interesting note, Tulammo (out of Round Rock, TX) now has both 122gr and 124gr HP product offerings. Just put 1K of the new 124GR HP on order this morning.

Wolf importing has traditional imported Tula under the Wolf name.Wolf black box had been repackaged Tula from way back. Oddly, the Tula ammo boxes declare they are not the same anymore even though the weights are identical. Time to go test the new stuff out.

black box 122gr fmj/hp

Tula 122gr fmj/hp

Wolf black box 154gr sp

Tula 154 sp

Wolf mil classic 124 gr fmj/hp

Tula 124 gr fmj/hp

Edited by my762buzz
  • 4 weeks later...

Im happy to report that all of my clips are full of sapsons(110rds), with 150 more for function accuracy check. The 60or so that have already went down my barrel have been perfect. They are actually the most accurate of the brands I have on hand at 100yds. So Im beyond happy. I bought my local gun store out of them at 6bucks a box.

Im happy to report that all of my clips are full of sapsons(110rds), with 150 more for function accuracy check. The 60or so that have already went down my barrel have been perfect. They are actually the most accurate of the brands I have on hand at 100yds. So Im beyond happy. I bought my local gun store out of them at 6bucks a box.

Barnaul or Vympel need to seriously consider loading 8m3 bullets in laquer coated cases. The red sealant on the neck and primers is nice to have.

We need an official petition drawn up with signatures so that the bozos doing the importing lately will get their heads out their asses and import decent ammo like this.

All the Wolf performance poly coated crap needs to end. It has zero benefit and does not protect against corrosion. Laquer coated cases rule.

I found TULAmmo 124 gr HP at Sportsman's next to the 122 gr. HP and 124 gr SP fir $6 a box.

I may have to get a box and check to see if it is the Sapsan 8m3.

I been trying to get the Tula HP locally and no one has it. The next gunshow might have some hopefully Nov 12.

Well I picked up a box of the TULAmmo 124 HP and the bullet sure looks like the Sapsan 8m3 posted above.

I saw what looked like a shallow lead core and a cut in the copper jacket. My pics didn't show it, but I could see a cut in there.

It also says that it is made in the Uly factory. It is not laquered or sealed, but the bullet looks like it is pretty close to the one we are looking for. Hope this helps!

post-4669-0-78627200-1320201610_thumb.jpg

Edited by BuffetDestroyer