I'm considering getting a Ruger 10 22 and getting one of those tactical kits for them which make them look like a G36 or an AR. I like the idea that it's a dirt cheap rifle to shoot. I'm just wondering if it will lose its fun really quickly. I love my Saiga 12 and shoot it all the time, but I've gotten it just about to the point where I dont want to add anything else so I'm looking for a new project. I dont have any handguns ATM so that would be the other option, although that could be much more expensive than a $200 Ruger 10/22.

Thoughts?

Agreed. I have plenty of firearms, but, I never get tired of the P22 or 10/22. The 10/22 is also very simple to disassemble. Makes cleaning it and replacing / upgrading parts a breeze. I go through a few bulk packs before cleaning the bolt or anything but the barrel. Can't beat the reliability of the 10/22, even with all factory parts. I take it with me any time I go shooting and I plan on buying one for my girlfriend's 7 year old son this Christmas. 032.gif

Well if you want to work on the basics of shooting rifles you can't go wrong with a 22 bolt action. They are cheap to shoot and if you are just shooting at paper targets or spinning targets why not? Honestly I think everyone should learn to shoot on a 22 bolt action. Great to teach kids also.

I have a FDE S&W MP 15-22 and love it. Controls and takedown mirror the std AR. 25-30rd magazines are cheap and very easy to load thanks to the press down lever. I also got the pistol version which takes the same mags so lot's of cheap plinking fun.

I think everyone that's ever owned a 10/22 loves theirs. You can go out and shoot 500 rounds for about $20... you just can't beat that amount of practice. You can even scope them out with a decent .22 optic for fairly cheap, and they're pretty damn accurate. I like to stand up spent 12 gauge shells downrange and pick them off with mine. The cheap .22 spinner targets are a lot of fun too.

I don't have a 10/22, but a Marlin .22lr. It's alot of fun to shoot and very accurate. But it's a bear to find mags for and when you do they are relatively expensive. If I didn't already have a .22, I'd be getting the 10/22. Parts/accesories are plentiful and inexpensive.

You cant go wrong, so enjoy.

I saw the title of this thread & I thought... either this guy is making fun of .22's or he's joking

I guess not huh

I love my .22 though

I've got a Marlin Model 39 Lever action

A .22 conversion for my AR

a .22 conversion for my Glock 26

I had a .22 conversion kit for my 1911 (which I recently traded both towards my Vector)

& just yesterday I bought a sweet little Ruger 22/45 to fill the gap left by selling my 1911 & .22 conversion

$319 for it (minus the muzzle break & red dot)

I plan to get a silencer for it so I had to get the threaded barrel!

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

I like all my .22's and they never anything less than fun to shoot

I think if you don't own a pistol then that would be ALOT of fun for you.

500 Rounds of plinking for under $20 bucks! ...Can't beat it!

Edited by ItsAllCreated

Haha! Yes, the Fiesta is a lost cause! A few mods for the 10/22 that may help are simply getting a nice easy trigger and floating the barrel. They are usually pretty awesome right out of the box. Mine has the Bull barrel and a fancy stock, floated barrel, but the standard $200 10/22 really is not far off the mark. It really doesn't need any mods to be a fun and accurate rifle that is cheap to shoot. Get one and you will be happy even before it has Laser beams and Black things on it!

Rob Rez, I dont fire anything without a quad rail. haha j/k and I see what you're saying now. I like the tacticool stuff but I keep noticing everyone is putting airsoft stuff on their 10/22's. I think it'd feel more like a toy than anything.

Alright you guys talked me into it.. I'll get one over the weekend!

What's a good price for a new Ruger 10/22? I noticed on Bud's they range from $198.99 to $299. Is there anything I should make sure to get?

.22s are a BALL to shoot! The Ruger 10/22 is one of the best little rifles on the market. No need to hang a bunch of plastic crap off of it. They're reliable, accurate and FUN! Groundhog kills @ 125yds? No problem. Headshots @ 75yds? Same thing. Pretty easy stuff with a 10/22 and a decent scope.

Mine like Federal 40gr hp.

I'm cruising the pawn shops and used gun racks for two decent 10-22s so I can build one of those gatling guns. And I know it is illegal, but that thing fairly begs for an electric motor to spin it - I won't do it, I won't do it, I won't do it - I'll keep telling myself that!

A foot-powered crank like a sewing machine treadle would be good too.

If you don't know what that is, it's a pedal or lever operated by the foot for circular drive, as in a potter's wheel or sewing machine.

• Like 1

"AND you can put a Whole bunch of USELESS MALL NINJA CRAP all over it and it won't be any better! You can also put some Rad Spinner wheels on a Ford Fiesta as well!" +1 on that Rob.

I love my 10/22. My brother had one when we were kids and it was the jam. I learned how to shoot on my dad's Nylon 66 which is a slick little rifle, but the detachable mags are a big pluss for the 10/22.

I also have 2 10/22's and think they are great. They are built much better than most .22's but I won't go as far as these others in claiming them to be reliable. 10/22's are known for frequent stovepipe jams. I think they are great, but this issue is a constant hassle for many of the people who own them. also variances in the casting of the reciever, and other parts in the magwell means that all of them work great with the factory rotary mags, but the guns are hit and miss whether they work well with banana clips.

I love the crossbolt safety, and the ergonomics and utility of a stainless 10/22 with a butler creek side folder with in easy reach on the job are near impossible to beat.

I also have a smith and wesson target pistol that is a blast. Everyone loves it who tries it. Any time I take it out, it gets the most use. Even when there are big fancy guns, people try them out, but then mostly take turns with the little smith .22.

I bought this 10/22 new in 1990 as well as the Ramline stock and Eagle (I think) flash hider. This little thing has eaten thousands and thousands of rounds without a hitch as long as a Ruger mag was feeding it. Lots of aftermarket high cap mags don't last long and cause failures. The standard 10 rounders and new Ruger 25 rounders are the shit!

DSC01750.jpg

ETA: This Ruger plus my P22 and GSG5 see just as much, if not more, trigger time on range days.

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 1

I also have 2 10/22's and think they are great. They are built much better than most .22's but I won't go as far as these others in claiming them to be reliable. 10/22's are known for frequent stovepipe jams. I think they are great, but this issue is a constant hassle for many of the people who own them. also variances in the casting of the reciever, and other parts in the magwell means that all of them work great with the factory rotary mags, but the guns are hit and miss whether they work well with banana clips.

I love the crossbolt safety, and the ergonomics and utility of a stainless 10/22 with a butler creek side folder with in easy reach on the job are near impossible to beat.

I also have a smith and wesson target pistol that is a blast. Everyone loves it who tries it. Any time I take it out, it gets the most use. Even when there are big fancy guns, people try them out, but then mostly take turns with the little smith .22.

i had problems with mine jaming with remington ammo, and aftermarket magazines. since i now only use ruger mags, and dropped the remington ammo, my problems have stopped and it IS reliable. .

I bought this 10/22 new in 1990 as well as the Ramline stock and Eagle (I think) flash hider. This little thing has eaten thousands and thousands of rounds without a hitch as long as a Ruger mag was feeding it. Lots of aftermarket high cap mags don't last long and cause failures. The standard 10 rounders and new Ruger 25 rounders are the shit!

DSC01750.jpg

ETA: This Ruger plus my P22 and GSG5 see just as much, if not more, trigger time on range days.

i really like that rifle MT. what kind of color scheme is that?

• Like 1

pew! pew! pew! Ya can't go wrong with the 10/22! :lol:

I've loved my little stainless 10/22 carbine since the day I got it, (back in '96).

More recently, watching Swamp People gave me a new-found respect for what the .22LR can do! 'Choot it, Elizibet!! :D

I haven't "tacticooled" my rifle because I haven't wanted to spend the money for what I consider pretty minimal gain...

ruger221.jpg

ruger222.jpg

ymmv.

i had problems with mine jaming with remington ammo, and aftermarket magazines. since i now only use ruger mags, and dropped the remington ammo, my problems have stopped and it IS reliable. .

DSC01750.jpg

i really like that rifle MT. what kind of color scheme is that?

Not really a planned color scheme, was just playing around one weekend. I hit the entire rifle with Krylon Ultra Flat Tan, then blotches of the same in brown and OD green. Then stretched some $1 Walmart fishnet stockings from the Halloween costume isle over it and dusted it with the tan again. It's been on there a couple of years and holding up good. As far as the rifle goes, for a non bull-barreled factory rifle, it's damn accurate. I highly suggest the new Ruger 25 rounders! ETA: The mag on it in the pic is a shitty Eagle one I think. Wouldn't feed worth a damn so it became the guinea pig for the spray session.

Edited by MT Predator