Rob Rez, I dont fire anything without a quad rail. haha j/k and I see what you're saying now. I like the tacticool stuff but I keep noticing everyone is putting airsoft stuff on their 10/22's. I think it'd feel more like a toy than anything.

Alright you guys talked me into it.. I'll get one over the weekend!

What's a good price for a new Ruger 10/22? I noticed on Bud's they range from $198.99 to $299. Is there anything I should make sure to get?

CDNN usually has them new for $187.00 + shipping. Great price if you have a dealer in your area that does cheap transfers.

.22lr equals good cheap shooting fun of all sorts, regardless of the rifle's make/model.

I've two .22lr rifles, a Marlin Model 60 and a Ruger 10/22.

I'd like to get a nice bolt gun next, perhaps a CZ 455 Lux?

Model 60 done as a Liberty Training Rifle for RWVA Appleseed Shoots.

60inSunshine.jpg

My 10/22 to M1 Carbine conversion next to my M1 Carbine... History meets Utility.

1022M130carbinesidexside.jpg

• Like 1

I love my 10/22. Wallmart special with a few mods. I was thinking about buying another 10/22 and using a kit to mod it. I like the 22 for the price and the report. Doesn't piss off the neighbors like the 308 does.

I would like to get one with a threaded barrel and add a suppressor some day. That would be a great setup.

Everyone should have a .22, whether it's a pistol or rifle (preferably both!). I have a Rem597 that's been great to me, and I plan on picking up one of those new M&P .22 pistols (not the AR pistols) once they've been out for a little while longer.

I've actually been thinking about picking up a target .22. Was on a shooting team in high school and over the summer got to shoot a couple of nice anschutz rifles. Looking at about $1,000 for one. CDNN has some used Russian target .22s for $279. Anyone ever shoot one of them?

The Ruger 10/22 is a great rifle and a better platform for screwing with. Left alone it is a fine shooter(as Posty has said). If you want to make it a mans version of a "barbie doll" there is much available for that(probably more than any other firearm on the planet). And if you wish to make it into a tack driver, again many options to do so(though you may need deep pockets)!

Edited by Bigtwin

I agree wholeheartedly. Well except with the lack of reliable 25 round mags. I didn't have much luck until I bought a couple of 25 rounders from TacticalInc.com. Kind of pricey but they were the only ones that worked for me. Now that Ruger has brought out their own, that would probably be the way to go.

As to aftermarket parts, there are probably more available for the 10/22 than pretty much any other weapon except maybe the 1911.

I got Stevens 300 ($175 new)... Why? Easy... cheap... worst trigger ever (means best rifle for practice)... completed "training" set with Walther P22... as result in next month I shot more rounds than in years before... after 1000's .22 rounds with Stevens and Walther i went back to Tikka and found that my groups with .308 went down to sub-MOA... and my followup shot delay with 9mm decreased twice.. best investment ever...

Edited by shalamov

unlike fat girls

easy..full figured women need love too.

as for the 22. its about all i shoot. my kids want the ak/saiga/mosin. i tell them ok mow the grass, heres your $15, go buy ammo. funny how their $15 ammo doesnt last as long as mine.

i ended up getting a second hand kimber 22 kit for my 1911. the 45 slide hasnt been back on the frame since. between the 1911 and my 10/22, everything else collects dust.

Edited by smartbomb

I got my 10/22 when I turned 18 back in 1988. The day after my b-day when I could buy my own gun. Still have it. Beat up some but never an issue with it. Saved up the money bagging groceries at the local store after school. Guy at the gun store was like you need to be 18. I whipped out my licence. He said very good and took my $125.00 + tax of course. Expensive for a 22 back then. The marlins were cheaper but not as cool. My father gave me guns before I was 18 but that will always be MY first gun.

I have a 10/22T. Very accurate rifle. I bought a 22/45 in '91, one of my all time favorite guns.

I just bought a S&W MP15-22 MOE. Nice little rifle too, and it has a threaded barrel. I have a Ruger 22/45 MKIII w/threaded barrel on order. It will be in next week. I'm getting a can, the AAC Element seems to be the best.

Wow! All this love for the 10/22 surprises me. Out of the box, the 10/22 is neither reliable nor accurate. Spend 500 dollars on one and it can be made reasonably accurate and reliable.

I have a bunch of .22s. The Rugers are NOT my favorites.

You want accuracy at a reasonable price? Either a CZ or Savage bolt atction will deliver 3/8" groups at 50 yards right out of the box. My semi-automatic T/C Benchmark Classic groups almost as well ... as does my made in 1952 High Standard semi.

You want fun? Almost ANY .22 is fun, but the Evil Black Rifles are truly a gas. My GSG-5 with it's 110 round drum will put a smile on anyone's face (as well as making their trigger finger tired!). My S&W M&P 15-22 is tons of fun although not quite as accurate as the SIG 522.

Yeh, .22s are fun ... and cheap to shoot. I can spend a day at the range with family and freinds with centerfire rifles and it'll cost 300 to 500 dollars. With the rimfires, that cost is way under 50 dollars. AND ... we probably have more fun with the rimfires.

Shootin' a small (as opposed to medium, large or extra large) egg off a golf tee at 100 yards with a .22 can be quite challenging as well.

Wow! All this love for the 10/22 surprises me. Out of the box, the 10/22 is neither reliable nor accurate. Spend 500 dollars on one and it can be made reasonably accurate and reliable.

You Sir, must have got a Lemon for a 10/22. Mine is all factory apart from the stock, scope, bipod, and flash hider. I practice with golf balls at 100 yds and it hits just fine. Ever since I bought it new in 1990, no reliability problems to note except for shitty aftermarket mags not feeding. Ruger mags, no problems, EVER. The new Ruger 25 rounders are just as reliable as the factory tens with all the rounds I have put through them. My 10/22 will eat anything fed into it, birdshot, sub-sonics, you name it. My GSG5 will choke up on certain ammo that the Ruger will eat all day long, not talking birdshot or sub-sonics, bulk Remington is one.

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 4

Wow! All this love for the 10/22 surprises me. Out of the box, the 10/22 is neither reliable nor accurate. The Rugers are NOT my favorites.

Would love to know why you feel this way? I have had my 10/22 for 8years and love it for what it is. I have not spent a dime on acuracy improvements. I did buy a t6 stock just for fun(that made no difference in accuracy). I can easily shoot 1" and sometimes slightly less at 50 yards. Never had a FTF or FTE or stove pipe. The rifle eats any brand I feed it. It is not a bolt action or an expensive tack driver. I do know some folks that have close to a grand in custom parts though.(a total different animal, hardly a Ruger after that change)!

I bought this 10/22 new in 1990 as well as the Ramline stock and Eagle (I think) flash hider. This little thing has eaten thousands and thousands of rounds without a hitch as long as a Ruger mag was feeding it. Lots of aftermarket high cap mags don't last long and cause failures. The standard 10 rounders and new Ruger 25 rounders are the shit!

DSC01750.jpg

ETA: This Ruger plus my P22 and GSG5 see just as much, if not more, trigger time on range days.

Plus one!

If you're looking for that magical sword, get an old browning a bolt.

Browning does make a nice .22 also. Got a really old T Bolt I'm waiting to restore one day when I find a stock and some mags for it.

You Sir, must have got a Lemon for a 10/22. Mine is all factory apart from the stock, scope, bipod, and flash hider. I practice with golf balls at 100 yds and it hits just fine. Ever since I bought it new in 1990, no reliability problems to note except for shitty aftermarket mags not feeding. Ruger mags, no problems, EVER. The new Ruger 25 rounders are just as reliable as the factory tens with all the rounds I have put through them. My 10/22 will eat anything fed into it, birdshot, sub-sonics, you name it. My GSG5 will choke up on certain ammo that the Ruger will eat all day long, not talking birdshot or sub-sonics, bulk Remington is one.

Another big plus one to that.

Also on these new 25 rd Ruger mags. Flawless feeding, real Ruger quality, and can be taken apart for cleaning too. Until now, all I have trusted in mine have been the Butler Creek Hot Lips mags in the center and on the right. Edit...that one on the far RT is one of the new Ruger 25's.

post-1293-0-16825300-1317960900_thumb.jpg

Those Eagle mags on the left are pure cheap ass junk, don't waste your money on them. Plastic feed lips and unreliable feeding... I really do like the new Rugers though. Just wish they had witness holes. I'm gonna see about modding mine to show how many rds are in there, or at least when it's about to run dry.

As for that "mall ninja add on crap"... and it not adding a thing to the rifle... well I beg to differ. They do shoot great right out of the box, but for a different look and feel, you just can't go wrong with the Krinker Plinker kit from Matt and the guys at C&S Metall-Werkes. Everyone who's ever handled or shot my 10/22 absolutely loved it. It's also a great size for the small tykes who come to the range with their dads. I'm not really keen on the AR style rear peep sights, but with this baby scoped I can pick a hair off a knat's ass with it!

cool.png

post-1293-0-41321300-1317960885_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

And how! My 10/22 is scary accurate and feeds 100% (when clean) with factory mags and TacticalInc 25 rounders. I will admit that my baby does prefer to be clean for top cycling performance but so do a lot of other guns out there. I have a cheap (60 buck) SightMark red dot on it and can do a 3 shot ragged hole at 50 yards. Absolutely nothing done to it to improve accuracy.

Yes, you can spend a ton of money on it and make it even better but I've never felt the need. Still though, I wouldn't criticize anyone for putting money into it as I've put a lot into my Saigas just for the fun of it. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

BTW, it ain't fair to bring bolt actions into the comparison, but whatever.

And how! My 10/22 is scary accurate and feeds 100% (when clean) with factory mags and TacticalInc 25 rounders. I will admit that my baby does prefer to be clean for top cycling performance but so do a lot of other guns out there. I have a cheap (60 buck) SightMark red dot on it and can do a 3 shot ragged hole at 50 yards. Absolutely nothing done to it to improve accuracy.

Yes, you can spend a ton of money on it and make it even better but I've never felt the need. Still though, I wouldn't criticize anyone for putting money into it as I've put a lot into my Saigas just for the fun of it. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

I have a Savage bolt gun and 2 10/22s, one a basic model and one a stainless bull barrel laminated stock (factory). All are accurate.

The stainless Ruger is 1st, barely edging out the Savage bolt gun, making tight little clusters of overlapping shots with a whole magazine @ 35 yds.

The plain Jane 10/22 is last, but not by a whole lot. Still minute of groundhog out to about 70 yards.

Both 10/22s like all 3 flavors of my magazines, the Steel Lips mags, I forget who makes the machined metal hi caps, and the factory 10 rounders.

Oh, and my Ruger MKIII Hunter and Single Six shoot very well too. The sights on the MKIII are better for me. I've done some shots you'd have to see to believe with it.

I don't know what CT's problem was. Mine all work well. Could be ammo. .22s are the most ammo-sensitive guns I've ever seen.

I have two 10/22's now. The first was a Synthetic stock with a blued barrel. After putting a scope on it and

a better hammer. It shot so good I did not want to disassemble it to put it into an Airsoft body of a P-90.

So I purchased a used one at the local gun show with a Ramline folding stock and Simmons scope on it

for that conversion.

New price $238, used $185. The Tactical Innovations Mags are fully adjustable to get proper feeding

and reliability.

I want to get a third one to do the Tommy Gun dress-up kit. I use the guns as props with the models

I photograph.

Malodave

The title of the thread is "Are .22s any fun". It didn't say "Are semi-auto .22s any fun?" or "Are single-shot .22s any fun?" or tube fed, box fed or ...

I'm a big fan of Ruger guns, a big fan. I own a bunch of 'em. It's just that the 10/22 isn't on my favorites list. Oh hell yes! Theree's a jullion of 'em in circulation but my opinion (to me, the only opinion that counts) they're at best mediocre guns.

Ruger revolvers are superb ... among the best of mainstream revolvers.

Ruger shotguns ... the same.

Ruger Rifles are damn fine .. the 77/22 is close to world class.

The Ruger 10/22, in my opinion (remember, that's the only one that counts) fall short of the excellence of the other Ruger offerings.

Oh, and I don't have a very high opinion (the only one that counts) of Ruger pistiols either.

The title of the thread is "Are .22s any fun". It didn't say "Are semi-auto .22s any fun?" or "Are single-shot .22s any fun?" or tube fed, box fed or ...

I'm a big fan of Ruger guns, a big fan. I own a bunch of 'em. It's just that the 10/22 isn't on my favorites list. Oh hell yes! Theree's a jullion of 'em in circulation but my opinion (to me, the only opinion that counts) they're at best mediocre guns.

The Ruger 10/22, in my opinion (remember, that's the only one that counts) fall short of the excellence of the other Ruger offerings.

Oh, and I don't have a very high opinion (the only one that counts) of Ruger pistiols either.

My, my. I'll restate it a bit so as not to cause any offense. "It ain't fair to compare the accuracy of most any bolt gun to a self loader." That better?

And, seeing as how we're strictly dealing with opinions here, I suppose a jullion people are wrong and you're right. A solitary position indeed from the looks of it. All well and good, but then as you said, that's just your opinion. While you've made it abundantly clear that your opinion is what is important to you, it isn't worth much of anything to me compared to my own personal experience with said gun. And besides that, my opinion is the only one that counts on the matter. I can't remember where I heard that but it sounds good to me.

In the end though, I'll shoot what I enjoy and you are more than welcome to shoot what you enjoy and perhaps everyone can be happy.

I get the part that it is your opinion...and you sir are very much entitled to have one as well as I am. I want to know why you don't care too much for the 10/22.

What has your experience been with the 10/22, that makes you feel they are poor or less than expected?

I love my 10/22 to which I added Tech Sights aperture sights with the accompanying front sight. I also made an AR retractable stock using an adapter made from aluminum bar stock by a local machine shop to install the stock and later added a Yugo AK pistol grip stock to it. It's more enjoyable to shoot with the peep sights and stock. I did this before TAPCO made their retractable stock and someone else made one in a straight line stock, mine has a stock drop to it. It's a very versatile rifle with many possible modifications.

I saw the title of this thread & I thought... either this guy is making fun of .22's or he's joking

I guess not huh

I love my .22 though

I've got a Marlin Model 39 Lever action

A .22 conversion for my AR

a .22 conversion for my Glock 26

I had a .22 conversion kit for my 1911 (which I recently traded both towards my Vector)

& just yesterday I bought a sweet little Ruger 22/45 to fill the gap left by selling my 1911 & .22 conversion

$319 for it (minus the muzzle break & red dot)

I plan to get a silencer for it so I had to get the threaded barrel!

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

I like all my .22's and they never anything less than fun to shoot

I think if you don't own a pistol then that would be ALOT of fun for you.

500 Rounds of plinking for under $20 bucks! ...Can't beat it!

That pistol is sweet dude!!!

They are more fun with cans

post-1914-0-97421500-1318777519_thumb.jpg

Kinda hard to get sub-sonic to run through a belt though but oh is it fun.

If I need to put 10 shots into a dime I'll get my Savage bolt, 10 shots in a heck of a hurry the 10/22 gets the nod. My single six and Bearcat isn't bad to shoot either.

A .22lr is a must have...just depends what "you" want.

My .22 stable:

I have (1) Ruger 22/45 5" Target pistol, (1) Ruger 22/45 4.5" Threaded Barrel pistol w/can, (1) Ruger 10/22 with 18" Heavy Barrel, and (1) Spikes .22lr conversion kit for my AR15's.