Saiga 223 side mount issue

Ok friends, here is an issue I have. Hopefully you can help me out.

I have a saiga 223. I recently bought a Tufforce AK double rail side mount MT-2AK12RS. I have tried installing it on my saiga for a few hours now and it just seems too small to slide on. It seems to be catching on the bottom side of the "t" the saiga mount has on it. The grooves just seem too small. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be more forceful with it? Or did i perhaps purchase the wrong item? I havent received a reply from Tufforce.com yet so I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks in advance!

I don't think you purchased the wrong mount. If it fits an AK it should fit a Saiga. It's possible that either the mount or mount base (or both) is out of spec enough to make it not fit. See what Tufforce says and also if possible try another mount from a local gun shop or individual to see if it's the base or not.

That is odd. I threw that model number in a search box and it is described as fitting a "Variety of AKs". Maybe just not this one? It should slide on if aligned properly. The reason the "tool free" models have a screw is to adjust the tension on the release lever. You can't remove the receiver cover without first removing the side mount. Unless there is a burr or something is bent somehow I would guess it doesn't fit??

I was curious and I looked it up online ... Well, this Tufforce mount looks cumbersome and very heavy , and specially looks like it is crap . As everything else , you get what you paid for . There is no tension screw , just 2 crews that will hold the thing to the rail . I think that with all those rail adjustments it will be a nightmare to keep an optic correctly in place on this mount once you start to shoot... Perhaps I am wrong on this , but I doubt it .

There are 3 types of side rail mounts : 1) The AK mount , which is a kind of simple skeletonized type with a lever that will adjust the tension and compresses the bottom of the mount, 2) The SVD type , which is a covered type with a tension screw, spring and nut that adjust the height of a moving rail piece , placed off center and more to the rear of the mount and it is a much better system . 3) The Saiga mount , which is also a covered type mount with the same mechanism of the SVD type , but it is placed at the center of the mount , so it will fit the Saiga rifles . The SVD will not fit a Saiga . You can use either the AK type or the Saiga type on a Saiga .. Since I don`t like the AK type I choose the KV-04S , which was designed for the Saiga rifles , and it is high quality and perfect fit . The only problem is that it cost $95.00

Edited by josey88