Barrel Misaligned or Bent

SAIGA 7.62x39 barrel is not algned with the receiver. At first I thought (hoped) that maybe the gas tube was simply a bit crooked. I decided to do a precise measurement. I set the receiver side on two equal blocks and measured from table to end of barrel center. Then flipped it over onto the blocks and measured again. Assuming the breach end of the barrel is mounted on the centerline of the receiver, the muzzle end should be at the same distance from the plane of the receiver sides. Not in this case. The total difference in measurement is almost 1/4 inch (.230) which means the barrel is off center (in azimuth) almost 1/8 inch. It could be off in elevation also. A scope mounted on the side of the receiver is useless.

I don't know for sure if it was assembled like this or if it was bent. Has anyone encountered anything like this? If it is bent, will a new barrel fix it? Could the hole where the barrel presses into the receiver be this far misaligned?

The gun does shoot although I noticed the piston looks like it is rubbing inside the gas tube on the right side.

Scrapping is not an option.

Options are:

1- Remove and refit existing barrel if it is straight. Is this possible?

2- Replace with new barrel. Rebore oversize?

3- Remove and straighten barrel. Better to get a new barrel.

4- Straighten barrel in place. Worst idea ever!

5- Live with it. NO. I cannot. I would rather try option 4 or scrap it.

...any other options...recommendations...?

I am a machinist w/25 years experience but not a gunsmith.

Edited by AlexTM

I would go for option 6- contact the importer and warranty it.

I did not buy it new but maybe that won't matter. It's worth a try. That brings up another issue...the manufacturer. On the receiver it says

"LEGION IZHEVSK RUSSIA ARSENAL LAS VEGAS NV USA" There is an "ARSENAL Inc." in Las Vegas. That's probably it..

I haven't removed the barrel ..yet. so...no V-block runout numbers.

Maybe you could post some pics detailing the exact issue. It's easier to see than visualize based on a paragraph. Try several diffrent angles, looking down the sights from muzzle to hilt and hilt to muzzle, and then straight down over the barrel. Honestly if you can't get it warrantied, and don't want to send it in to a local gunsmit, your best bet might be to pawn it. If you want to play with it, press the barrel out and set it in an indexing head then put a last word indicator in each end of the barrel. Mark your TDC, and check your ID runouts as your rotate it. I'm not sure about the 762, but I know other models such as the 410 have a taper to the barrle OD, so ID is what you'll have to check on. Also look at your trunnion once the barrle is out and check it for being concentric. Another idea that occured to me is if you have a lathe mic your barrel ID then machine a rod that'll slip down the ID if the rod is straight and doesn't pass through unrestriced then it's your barrle. (I've never tried these on a gun, just going down the punch list of things I'd try on any other shafting bore) Maybe some of the more experienced people can give their imput.

Whether new or used, would a converted Saiga (assuming yours is) still be warrantied?

As a well experienced machinest, you may be more of a DIYer, but barrel straightening is a great reason to support your local gunsmith. One here in N.TX that I trust does it for $95.