What v-plug setting for each type of ammo?

I've been doing some searching but haven't found what I was looking for concerning the v-plug. I know on the stock plug, you use setting 1 for high brass ammo [slugs and 00 buckshot] and setting 2 for the lighter loads.

On the v-plug, what is considered the "setting 1" and "setting 2"?

What setting should I use for the following ammo in 2 3/4 size:

Slugs

00 Buckshot

000 Buckshot

Wal-mart bulk birdshot

From what most people experience, it's - for 3" buck and slugs, and + for 2 3/4" field and target load low brass. Personally setting 3 works for 3" high brass (anything lower fails to eject) and + works for low brass, yes including the infamous walmart federal bulk packs. Don't believe me? proof is in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sataomawas

The - sign means less gas to the system so it is used for high brass. So for slugs and 00 buck use it. If it doesn't work move 1 click over until it does.

The + is basically wide open allowing a ton of room for gas to get into the system. This is for low brass where the gun needs all it can get to cycle it. If it slings the shell what seems like a long way turn it "down" a click so you aren't over gassing your system. If your gun is newer and seems to efficiently run low brass this may be the case. This is basically fine tuning it.

Start with the completely closed off "-" setting and adjust it until it cycles properly. There is no exact position. It varies per-gun. One of mine will cycle Federal bulk on setting 4, another has to be on setting 5.

If you twist the plug a full 360 degrees do you start back over?

Yes you do. But you do want to use all the available threads if possible.

I only ask because I find my plug works better after a full rotation and I wanted to make sure it wasnt a bad thing. I am thinking when it bottoms out it needs to be reset further then expected. I have not been able to figure out why I need to spin it a full rotation to get better results.

Edited by Lord Ak-47

If the - is past the detent when it bottoms you should turn it counter-clockwise until the - is lined up with the detent pin. that is your "1" setting. If when it bottoms out the - is before the detent the back it out until it reaches the pin 3/4-1 turn. That is "1" backing out 4 clicks to the + being 5.

On mine, settings 1 and 2 are useless. I have to turn it up to setting 3 in order to function with 3" magnums. Standard birdshot will function on setting 5; light birdshot will usually function but is not totally reliable.

Mine functions on the same setting as yours...perhaps you need to do a little polishing on your carrier and hammer face.

Mine functions on the same setting as yours...perhaps you need to do a little polishing on your carrier and hammer face.

I've already done that. Makes for smoother hand cycling, but made absolutely no difference in functioning. With the factory plug, it functions the same on setting 1 as the V plug does on setting 3, and setting 5 seems the same as setting 2 on the factory plug. My brother's S-12 appears to function identically with both plugs, and it hasn't been polished or converted yet.

My current goal is to have the barrel shortened slightly and modified for internal chokes, and then gradually open up the gas system so the 3" magnums will function on setting 1 of the V plug. Hopefully then I'll pick up some function on the lower end with some of the lighter birdshot, and will be better able to adjust my gun for all loads.

I've been doing some searching but haven't found what I was looking for concerning the v-plug. I know on the stock plug, you use setting 1 for high brass ammo [slugs and 00 buckshot] and setting 2 for the lighter loads.

On the v-plug, what is considered the "setting 1" and "setting 2"?

What setting should I use for the following ammo in 2 3/4 size:

Slugs

00 Buckshot

000 Buckshot

Wal-mart bulk birdshot

This is a customer's review of his 3 saiga 12's with GlassBolt & proper port sizes when using the v-plug.

He utilizes all 5 settings for optimal performance throughout the full range to be able to shoot all ammo practical out of a "do everything" gun.

These are 2-19" & 1-24" barrels.

I like how he did a very concise test there.

All three guns ate Winchester 3" Magnum slugs and Remington OO Express Magnum with the V-Plug on setting 1; Remington #4 nitro mags and 2¾" slugs on setting 2; 2¾" Remington Express OO and Express #4 Long Range on setting 3; Remington 2¾" managed recoil slugs on setting 4; and all US brands of 2¾"#7 ½ through #9 birdshot and skeet loads on setting 5. The only thing they won't eat are Winchester's low noise, low recoil ammo, which the box warns you is not for semi-auto guns, but only pump and break-top weapons.

http://forum.saiga-1...post__p__665795