metal core shooting

Modern tula ammo ain't steel-core. It is the CASING that is steel. The projectile itself is copper and lead.

ok while they are staying if it holds a magnet placed on the tip, you can not shoot it.

Most recently imported 7.62x39 ammo since the mid 1990s usually has a steel thin jacket material NOT THE CORE..

The US Federal government does not allow steel core 7.62x39 ammo to be imported and so no distributors would have any.

Unless you happen to have bought some old 1990s ammo, there is zero chance your ammo has a steel core.

A magnet will stick to the steel jacket which is why many range employees are often not the brightest people.

I can't begin to discuss how many range employees tried to certify that Wolf or any other Russian ammo is steel core.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Modern tula ammo ain't steel-core. It is the CASING that is steel. The projectile itself is copper and lead.

ok while they are staying if it holds a magnet placed on the tip, you can not shoot it.

Most recently imported 7.62x39 ammo since the mid 1990s usually has a steel thin jacket material NOT THE CORE..

The US Federal government does not allow steel core 7.62x39 ammo to be imported and so no distributors would have any.

Unless you happen to have bought some old 1990s ammo, there is zero chance your ammo has a steel core.

A magnet will stick to the steel jacket which is why many range employees are often not the brightest people.

I can't begin to discuss how many range employees tried to certify that Wolf or any other Russian ammo is steel core.

It may not be imported but it's still around. I've bought Herter's from Cabelas twice now, once in a sealed spam can, and both times I've recovered rounds fired, their FMJ is steel core.

Edited by iarneau
  • 7 months later...

Cut some wolf ammo in half you will find a steel cylinder..and yes the trula ammo also has a steel core..look at the description on any website that sells then there called bi-metal rounds steel jacketed woth copper.

A steel jacket isn't a steel core. The core is lead - there is a very thin steel jacket underneath the copper jacket. If it is imported with a true steel core, it is being imported and distributed in violation of the ATF's interpretation of federal law.