Question about bolt carrier hitting the trunion.

I would not use a buffer, or consider welding up the barrel and redrilling holes. If it really is a concern, (and it sounds like you fixed it with the brownells spring) an even stronger spring would solve it.

I fixed it with a buffer! The spring change did little for me. After about 600 rounds so far, no negative issues. Time will tell!

• 1 month later...

Just back from the range today, cleaning my Saiga and no issues at all. Now have around 1300 rounds through it since the buffer was installed. The rifle works fine and the buffer shows little wear at all, mostly looks like slight imprint of the bolt.

Problem solved!

• Like 1

I can understand why you were concerned, Bigtwin, but based on your photo, it's a non-issue.

Truly overgassed AKs will cause the rivets securing the rear trunnion to deform and/or shift as the trunnion is actually pushed rearward out of the receiver. Unless something like that is occuring, (extremely rare, and I've never seen it on a Saiga), you don't have a problem.

I used to overly obsess about wear marks on my rifle/s, until I understood them better. ;)

Hey twin,

I used to get serious slap with the factory trigger group. When i converted, the new hammer was a way higher profile than the old. It took me a couple hours of filing to get it down for the carrier to even slide over. When i went to the range with the new converted rifle, there was no more slap. And there still isnt.

Maybe try a new hammer that impedes your bolt carrier a bit.

Edited by Boomsick42

A buffer is good idea. Mt old style Marlin 60 had a factory buffer. They are cheap enough that you can try one - if it causes problems you are not out much time or money. If it doesn't cause any problems, it will extend the life of the bolt carrier - it dampens vibration like touching a tuning fork with your finger.

I can understand why you were concerned, Bigtwin, but based on your photo, it's a non-issue.

Truly overgassed AKs will cause the rivets securing the rear trunnion to deform and/or shift as the trunnion is actually pushed rearward out of the receiver. Unless something like that is occuring, (extremely rare, and I've never seen it on a Saiga), you don't have a problem.

I used to overly obsess about wear marks on my rifle/s, until I understood them better. wink.png

Thank you very much for that input! I was wondering the same but recieved very different input about the impact marks. I was hoping you or another very familiar with this platform would chime in. I have learned so much here about the AK pattern rifle.

No issues with my rifle pounding rivets at all, I just thought the impact marks on the trunion were not normal....I guess it is not a big deal.

Thanks again!

Thank you very much for that input! I was wondering the same but recieved very different input about the impact marks. I was hoping you or another very familiar with this platform would chime in. I have learned so much here about the AK pattern rifle.

No issues with my rifle pounding rivets at all, I just thought the impact marks on the trunion were not normal....I guess it is not a big deal.

Thanks again!

Np, man.