AK47 Reliability...

someone on another site was talking about how they would rather have a MN because it is a bolt gun and less likely to fail.. I then stated if you lived long enough to see an AK47 reach end of life... then you might as well "cash out".. implying that the guns literally run forever with next to no maintenance.. so that got me thinking.. I have had MANY apart.. and I understand the gun inside and out.. how many of you have ever broken your AK? what broke? I have yet to break anything that caused the gun to not work..

• Like 1

Isn't that kinda like compareing a S&W .357 to a Colt 1911 .45? Both have their advantages/disadvantages and are very different animals.

One thing to thing about, if that Mosin goes down in a hostile environment and you don't have the parts to fix it, will you be likely to find them? Excessive proliferation has it's advantages too.

I wonder how old the AKs their using in the Mideast are, on average?

• Like 1

One thing to thing about, if that Mosin goes down in a hostile environment and you don't have the parts to fix it, will you be likely to find them?

You won't need parts, just a hammer. biggrin.png

Seriously, though, you are not likely to find parts for _any_ gun in a hostile environment, though you might find a new gun.

• Like 1

I wonder how old the AKs their using in the Mideast are, on average?

Most pictures you see are stamped receiver, Russia switched in 1959 from milled and others followed so I'd guess from mid 60's to late 70's production with a few bunches from early 80's. As for the life span of an AK, it greatly depends on the caliber and ammo used I think. lower pressure 7.62x39 if wiped down once every few weeks will probably last until the rifling in the barrel has worn away, then it will probably just blow apart in the middle and you can go grab another. 5.45 however deals with higher pressure so one would think it would fail sooner. My best guess, 25-50 years depending on how well it's maintained.

During a one week class at Front Sight, about 18 of us fired AK's and Glock 17's, thousands and thousands of rounds. I never saw a single stoppage from any of the Glocks, but 3 of the AK's went down, including mine. One of the legs on the trigger broke off causing the hammer spring to jam the trigger. I am not sure what went wrong with the other two guns.

Tony

During a one week class at Front Sight, about 18 of us fired AK's and Glock 17's, thousands and thousands of rounds. I never saw a single stoppage from any of the Glocks, but 3 of the AK's went down, including mine. One of the legs on the trigger broke off causing the hammer spring to jam the trigger. I am not sure what went wrong with the other two guns.

Tony

Tapco trigger?

Tony

crazy... thanks for relaying the story.. I would also be interested in what FCG it was..

Well I've seen axis pins drive out but that was more of the users fault for not putting the retaining plate in right lol.

Most malfunctions I see of the AK are either magazine related or ammo related. If you're going to run cheap-ass battlefield eastern european surplus commy-tastic shit thru your guns, expect a few malfunctions. If you stick to decent new production ammo and military contract mags, it'll go bang every time.

Edited by Floyd

If this isnt a torture test then I dont know of one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESos3gQUfyI&feature=player_embedded

You think its done for but it was only on a smoke break.

They pour some water on it and go again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmbIKpkQtqg&feature=player_embedded

Edited by Shadoh
  • Like 1

If this isnt a torture test then I dont know of one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESos3gQUfyI&feature=player_embedded

You think its done for but it was only on a smoke break.

They pour some water on it and go again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmbIKpkQtqg&feature=player_embedded

LOL I thought milspec quality wood handguards are suppose to be able to go over 350 rounds without melting, smoking, or burning.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/70574-anyone-else-see-this-video/

My brother has a PSL that is not reliable. The bolt carrier does not slide freely towards the rear end of its movement and sometimes stops in the rear position and does not go forward.

When it does this you need to forcibly push the carrier forward and after moving a bit it will fly shut (kind of like how you charge the first round an M1 Garand). It will do this periodically and "jam" in the rear position with no relation to the number of rounds. When you charge the first round it often gets stuck in the rear position as well. It is not related to the ammo, it will do it with no magazine in there as well.

I think the receiver is warped/twisted.

With the few thousand rds I have put thru it, my eaa 2002 7.62x39 has only jammed up when loading the first round of a mag. Never with hp, once with fmj, and twice with sp. Other than that, It has never failed to feed, extract or fire.

On a side note, I have around a thousand rds thu my Ruger SR9c, all types of hp and fmj, without a single malfunction. Im happily surprised.

My brother has a PSL that is not reliable. The bolt carrier does not slide freely towards the rear end of its movement and sometimes stops in the rear position and does not go forward.

When it does this you need to forcibly push the carrier forward and after moving a bit it will fly shut (kind of like how you charge the first round an M1 Garand). It will do this periodically and "jam" in the rear position with no relation to the number of rounds. When you charge the first round it often gets stuck in the rear position as well. It is not related to the ammo, it will do it with no magazine in there as well.

I think the receiver is warped/twisted.

Try removing the spring, trigger and hammer. Manually cycle the bolt/carrier. If its the receiver you should be able to easily feel where its hanging up. I had a Draco that the rails werent exactly straight and i had to clean them up with a file. If it cycles smooth by hand then start putting parts back in until you find which one is hanging it up.