Primary Arms Micro Dot Review

Last week I decided to get some optics going on my Romanian 5.56 WASR3. I mounted my Russian PK-01 on it when I went for Carbine Drills last week just to make sure the rifle ran how I wanted. It ran great. Only one Failure To Feed due to shitty magazines.

So I began to do some research and decided to go with a Primary Arms Micro Dot. It is only $90 plus $11ish for shipping. Can't really beat the price. It is basically an Aimpoint H1/T1 Clone, and for the price, I was willing to risk it.

th_IMG_20111011_195617.jpg

th_IMG_20111011_195626.jpg

The Optic itself feels very solid. It has a nice heft to it. The glass is coated very well (from what I know about coating, which is nothing). When looking through the optic, it turns everything a bluish green hue, same as my Russian optics... There must be a reason for this.

The brightness knob is really stiff. So stiff I thought it was broken at first. Takes a bit of work to turn the thing.

th_IMG_20111011_200036.jpg

As you can see, I have a PSO-1 mounted on the Side Rail. I found out a few nights ago, that an SVD/PSL style optic WILL mount to an AK style mount. I wanted to see if I could still use the scope with the Aimpo...Primary Arms mounted and vice versa.

To my joy, the Scope does work with the Micro Dot mounted. Not the other way around, however.

th_IMG_20111011_200044.jpg

This is the Midwest Industries Rail that came with my Romy AK. As you can see, it is specifically made for this optic (aimpoint).

th_IMG_20111011_200607.jpg

th_IMG_20111011_200621.jpg Optic Mounted on the top rail.

th_IMG_20111011_200945.jpg

Both optics mounted. th_IMG_20111011_201004.jpg

th_IMG_20111011_201249.jpg

th_IMG_20111011_201259.jpg

View down the sight line.

So far I am very happy with the purchase. I tacticooled around the house a bit with it to see how it felt and such and I must say, I like it a little more than my Russian setup so far. Field of View is much smaller, but the dot is crisper. I also feel it will be slightly easier to aim with on the move since it is closer to the muzzle, but this remains to be seen.

Tomorrow I am going to zero it in, as well as zero in the PSO-1 4x Scope and recheck the zero's on my PSL and Saiga 5.45

As of now, Two Thumbs way up

Edited by SergeK

Got my gen 7 PA micro (on an UlitmAK M2-cool.png) about six months or so- had it out in the pouring rain, the hot sun, the dirt, sand... Everything. It is still on it's original battery, so battery life is awesome as well, although probably not on par with the aimpoint.

post-20073-0-56347000-1318420952_thumb.jpg

post-20073-0-95692500-1318421063_thumb.jpg

Just painted mine too, works great still! Just left the bikini cover on and taped off the ring on the intensity settings. Also left the windage and elevation covers on, and taped off the vent holes near the gas block (for I don't know now what reason). Two coats. I need to either find an appropriate ring to make my own, or see if PA will sell the applicable killflash for this unit. I noticed you don't have one either. You're going to want one- the coating really flashes something wicked. I'm also going to try "skateboard tape" on the flat sides of the UltimAK unit... Saw somebody else using it as a rudimentary heat guard/index point.

post-20073-0-65059700-1318421108_thumb.jpg

Edited by bohound

PA Makes a killflash for it. Didnt really think I needed it. I may pick it up though eventually.

I knew they made one, but it's sold as part of a package... I don't know if it's available as an accessory?

Got it Zero'd this afternoon. VERY happy and impressed with it. Even some AR guys a few lanes down with Aimpoints said they are going to pick some up.

My one gripe, and a minor one at that, is I wish the zeroing screws were finger adjustable. You need a screw driver/penny or somesuch to adjust, which can be a PITA if you want to look down the sight and adjust at the same time.