So, what did YOU do with your original butt stock?

Used a piece as filler material for beefing up some worn mags, thanks to advice from Cobra.

Got a couple more to do then I can put the soldering kit and alcohol away.

I also use them as a prop when people ask me about getting a saiga 12 to show why restoration is worthwhile.

I've also thought for a while that cutting a chunk out of the top or bottom would be a decent way to make a clean screw on cheek riser for some other stocks.

I don't convert all my Saigas. Some of them I want to keep sporting because I like the feel of a traditional "American rifle" or shotgun, and they blend in a little more in mixed company. They ones that I keep sporting, I fill with thermoplastic adhesive. It makes them solid as a club and adds just enough weight to counter-balance the weapon. This brings the thin-walled, seemingly cheap buttstock up to par with the more fortified handguards.

• Like 1

Tony has the Izmash buttstock.

As far as I'm concerned, the Tromix stock Tony put on IS the original buttstock.

There's a thought, I wonder what Tony, Will, and other similar shops do with them? Think they're recyclable? And by that I mean like the beer cans and news papers kinda way, not like using it to break ice or hold up tables lol.

• 5 weeks later...

^^ or here in the WTS section. They are still nicer than a monte carlo stock. There are plenty of people who don't want to convert for one reason or another who will find it to be a welcome improvement. $80-95 is reasonable if it is clean.

• 2 months later...

I just thought of a new novel idea, what if we used them to make "parade rifles" to carry to demonstrations. It would not be that difficult for those of us with access to machinery, a piece of square tube, a piece of round tube, the left over trigger guard a couple pieces of scrap could be fashioned into a reasonable facsimile. I am not sure if this is a good idea or not though it might just stir up a bunch of shit!

My thought is to have people dressed like UN troops round up demonstrators at gun point and take them away, maybe even do "mock" executions! I know this is extreme that is why I am not so sure it is a good idea.

Edited by misterT
  • 5 months later...