Hi guys, had a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone dealt with Ak-builder?

2) Has anyone here tried to build an Ak from the receiver up? If so what kind of tools will be needed? (barrel press, jigs, How the heck do you bend a receiver flat?)

I'm prepared for the process to be slow and reasonably difficult, it just looks like it would be both challenging and fun to do.

Finally, if it does turn out to be fun and the challenges lessens over time, what are the legal ramifications of building rifles and receivers? A. As a hobby and B. to sell. What hoops would have to be jumped through to keep it all legal.

Thanks in advance for the help and info.

Have ordered AK-Builder with no problems. They are located about 30 minutes from me.

You can build as many as you'd like for personal use. However, you cannot build them for the purpose of sale. If you decide to sell one that you built later on, you can as long as it's serialized, you just can't build any for the sole purpose of selling them without a license.

So if I did, in the future, decide to sell, I'd need to get an FFL? or is there another license for manufacturing?

So far, other than the usual jigs particular to the Ak I'l need a good basic shop setup with a shop press, vises, benches, drill press etc...

Curtis is good to go! Order from AK Builder with confidence. He may seem arrogant at first, but his tools are truly the best out there for DIY'ers not looking to build a $100,000 machine shop. He will also answer your questions via phone and is easy to get a hold of.

I would personally look into Nodak Spud receivers as they are cheap ($55-$110 shipped) and can be transferred like any other firearm.

If you plan on ever selling your AK as a complete weapon, you would be best off using the Nodak Spud Receivers or other registered firearm receivers because home bent recievers are for personal use only and you walk a fine line if you decide to transfer one as a complete weapon in the future without a manufacturers license, excise tax and insurance (meaning big fines and lots of felony prison time if you are prosecuted and convicted).

Most guys to limit liability demill their reciver by cutting through it into 3 pieces and then selling it as a parts kit.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

As said, Curtis is great to deal with and makes excellent product.

Building your own is rewarding, but unless you are doing several just get a built receiver. It's very difficult to fully heat treat at home and the cost in jigs and a spot welder can get prohibitive.

Yes, AK Builder is gtg, and yes to just using a NODAK Spud receiver, they're cheaper than buying all of the tooling to bend and properly heat treat a flat, as well as all of the welding involved with putting in the rails and pressing and peening the rivets. It takes more tools than you expect and the results aren't as great as they seem. And they are sellable, not commercially mind you, but if you go the route of bending your own, you have to serialize it anyways (that's the law whether you sell it or not, I've done a few with milled receivers when I worked in the machine shop and had access to a CNC machine) and it is transferrable as a "sporting arm" however being US made it does it still have to comply with 922r but the configuration is whatever is legal where you're at. Whereas with a NODAK receiver it's just another gun as the receiver is what is considered the gun.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all the info. As I expected there's more to it than I first thought. I'll be checking NODAK in a few minutes (cooking as I type). I think I'll stick to "home build" as it's likely to be easier to stay legal.

Heck I can always open my shop, once completed, to friends that want to build their own.

EDited to add: My spelling sucks. LOL

And wow. NODAKSPUD rocks.

Thanks again guys., now I have to plan out my work space and settle down to ordering tools and such. I'm slow so it'll be about 18+ months before I turn out my first rifle, but that's cool.

Edited by Ken1961

+1 for NODAK. Great product, saves much time, more important it is properly heat treated and all dimensions are spot on! A home bent receiver is not the best way to go on a first build. Hand folded top rails, and hand spot welded inside rails will not be as nice and accurate as the NODAK -especially on your first try.

AK Builder has the best rivets - and lots of other good stuff. Never any problems with him or his stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

NoDak Spud make great AK receivers including RPKs and Yugos.

My question is how to build with a US made barrel:

1. How do you drill the gas port hole and what size hole?

2. How do you press the gas block and front sight block on the barrel?

I've seen tutorials about pressing the barrel into the trunnion using a hydraulic press but the gas block is more critical for operating the rifle.

Do any US barrel makers sell barrels drilled for the gas port and do any suppliers sell the barrels ready to press into the trunnions? That would make life a lot easier for builders.

Edited by uzitiger
  • 1 month later...

sorry it took so long, but to answer your questions 1. I use a drill press and a pair of V-blocks to clamp it to the table, make sure you get the hole in a groove not a land, sorry, I don't remember what size hole it is and my build manuals are in the shed and we have snow on the ground 2. use a hydraulic press, pretty much the same as pressing your barrel, what i do is drill the gas port hole where it needs to be then the press the barrel, drill the hole for the lock pin, and seat the pin, then press the front sight base, if you use one, most of mine don't

A virgin build, or mismatch barrel/receiver NEEDS TO BE HEAD SPACED! I used the East German go/no go gages. I read that SAMMI gages are too tight for comblock steel cases. I drilled the barrel with an end mill in a bench top drill press. Went part way and then reversed and cut through. If the bolt and front trunnion are a mis match, lap them first. Be damn particular about the head space before drilling the pin. If it is a used barrel you will need to drill for an oversize pin.