TAC 47 Industries " M.A.G. 12 " Magwell

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One Poster In this Thread will Win a M.A.G. 12 Magwell for free. All You have do to enter is Post.     Tac 47 is now in full production with a new Push Button release Magwell with an intergrated tr

we will make a cali compliant model.

Just got finished shooting a 100 rounds through the very first magwell off the CNC, and I must say I am blown away at how well the it did! We shot a mix of low brass birdshot and didn't have one FTF o

Posted Images

Hmmm... interesting....After seeing the pics, not too confident that mags already modified for a JT magwell will work as-is. There may be enough side rib left for the catch. Might have too much side-to side play though. Adding material to the mags should fix them. I cannot see how R&R modified mags would work without major re-work. Since I have a JT magwell with several modified mags, looks like I get to find out what will be required.

Hmmm... interesting....After seeing the pics, not too confident that mags already modified for a JT magwell will work as-is. There may be enough side rib left for the catch. Might have too much side-to side play though. Adding material to the mags should fix them. I cannot see how R&R modified mags would work without major re-work. Since I have a JT magwell with several modified mags, looks like I get to find out what will be required.

If you need to add material....

http://plasti-weld.com/

The stuff is badass and I have used it when a fix seemed impossible. It gan be cut with a carbon cutter, filed, or sanded. One kit is about $12 and would do a whole collection of mags. This will even work fine on pressurized water lines with longitudinal cracks. I have heard of it being used on 8" pvc running at 40 psi, so adding a rib to a mag is child's play for this.

ETA: If you need any help/advice/tips using the Plasti-weld, let me know.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I've got the magwell installed. First impressions are very good. Fitting the magazines is proving to be a little more complex, though. Aside from removing the front and rear lugs, I've contoured the top rear right side of the magazine, removed the first section of rib to clear the catch, then notched below the second rib to provide more room for the catch to 'bite'. See the pic below.

dsc04099tb.jpg

After doing this, though... the magazine seriously locks in with ZERO wobble.

P.S. If you're planning on using the Hogue AK grip... you're going to have to remove a LOT of material in order to get it to fit. The magwell's grip nut is parallel to the receiver, not the grip screw.

• Like 1

Just got my box of cool stuff too! Really slick design.

Upon a quick fit... my JT modified mags will not work without adding some material. Where can I get the Plasti-weld?

The only place that I know of is a local poolbuilder supply house, but you could probably find it at any poolbuilder supply house near you, or at least call them and maybe they can order it. I have some around here somewhere, but no telling where. Business has been crazy lately and any organization of materials like that has gone to hell. I will look around over the next few days and see if I can find it.

When you apply it, make sure that the area has been scuffed with some sandpaper (150 grit) and make sure it is oil free. Clean it with some alcohol after surface prep. It comes in a retail bubble pack. There is a bottle of liquid and a pill looking bottle (vitamins) of powder. For your application, you would probab ly be best off mixing a very small amount at a time in a medicine cup like comes on cough syrup. Mix the powder and liquid with a popsickle stick or something else that you do not mind throwing away.

dsc04104y.jpg

All set and ready to go... hopefully I'll be able to shoot some rounds off and come back with a report sometime after christmas. I'll make a video, too. I'm really surprised at how well the mags lock in and are still drop free. After fitting four mags to the gun, only one of them has the slightest movement and they all fall free and loose as soon as you hit the release. Super impressed at this design.

Got mine about 90% installed. The front hole did not align with the hole from the JT magwell (about 1/2 of the hole off). I may drill 2 new holes in the front and plug the center factory hole.

Preliminary bench testing has been great. I started with a brand new 8-round mag. It is still a little tight and needs a little tap to get to drop out. But that is part of the fitting and I do not what to take too much off before range testing. In regards to the mag, I did not fix the pinched top or fix the rocking follower. I tested with some not-so-perfect rounds and they manually cycled flawlessly. The mag has a good snug fit.

The JT magwell modified mags fit fine. They do not wobble, a concern since the ribs are ground parallel with the mag body. The mag is positioned/centered by the receiver. The problem lies with the release. If the ribs on the mag have been ground too much, the release may not have enough material to hold it securely. I believe a little JB Weld could fix this. I used some of the factory mag to get it to fit in the JT magwell. Also, the factory mag locked in as well. I did not fit (rocked front to back) as well as the SGM mags, but that can be fixed. Yes my S12 is 922r compliant with a non-US mag.

TAC47...

One thing I would suggest... radius the end of the mag release lever. Being square it has sharp corners. I filed the corners to keep from cutting my finger.

Also, the relief milled out on the right side could have been a little cleaner. It had some chatter.

Looks like mags modified for use in a JTE magwell will not work in the Tac magwell. The side ribs are ground off. Need to either buy new mags or add ribs (or shims) to replace what was ground off. It would have been nice to have this info up front.

Please keep in mind, this information could be completely inaccurate. I do not have a magwell in hand yet, so I can't say for sure what is really going on with the means of magazine retention. From what I understand, SGM mags that have been modded for the R&R magwell will work in the M.A.G.12, and I am under the impression that the same mags will work in the JT magwell.

ETA: On CSS' site, the item description does not say anything about the rear locking tab or side ribs being ground off. Picture does not show that feature either.

From CSS....

SGM MAGAZINE WELL MODIFIED 12 RD MAGAZINE

SKU: MODIFIED-12/12

This magazine has the front lip removed to work with the JT Engineering and SGM Tactical Magwell

SGM TACTICAL

post-22401-0-11827700-1324220918.jpg

When we believed it would work with the CSS Mag it was from this picture that we based our assessment. Which a Mag in this configuration would work fine.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=60708

Looks like mags modified for use in a JTE magwell will not work in the Tac magwell. The side ribs are ground off. Need to either buy new mags or add ribs (or shims) to replace what was ground off. It would have been nice to have this info up front.

Please keep in mind, this information could be completely inaccurate. I do not have a magwell in hand yet, so I can't say for sure what is really going on with the means of magazine retention. From what I understand, SGM mags that have been modded for the R&R magwell will work in the M.A.G.12, and I am under the impression that the same mags will work in the JT magwell.

ETA: On CSS' site, the item description does not say anything about the rear locking tab or side ribs being ground off. Picture does not show that feature either.

From CSS....

SGM MAGAZINE WELL MODIFIED 12 RD MAGAZINE

SKU: MODIFIED-12/12

This magazine has the front lip removed to work with the JT Engineering and SGM Tactical Magwell

SGM TACTICAL

post-22401-0-11827700-1324220918.jpg

When we believed it would work with the CSS Mag it was from this picture that we based our assessment. Which a Mag in this configuration would work fine.

http://forum.saiga-1...attach_id=60708

I just landed 3 new clear 12 rounders and 2 used clear 12 rounders, so I'm ready to have a filing session, lol.

Just recieved my box of fun, all of it looks awesome and my saiga is all torn down already. I just have one questions so far, I got the AK hogue grip as well and it isnt very close to working, do I remove the material from the grip ot from the trigger guard? Ricky if you could help me out a bit that would be awesome.

Just recieved my box of fun, all of it looks awesome and my saiga is all torn down already. I just have one questions so far, I got the AK hogue grip as well and it isnt very close to working, do I remove the material from the grip ot from the trigger guard? Ricky if you could help me out a bit that would be awesome.

Remove material from the grip, not the magwell. You'll need to take about 3/4's of an inch of material inside the top and square it out, then about a 1/4 inch from the front where it meets the trigger guard. I used a dremel cutting disc, but there might be easier ways. I tried using a heated flathead screwdriver with poor results first, but a soldering iron might work well. When I get home, I'll post up some pics of where I removed material... but if you hold the grip up and under where the magwell's grip nut is, you can get a good idea of where you need to make room inside the grip.

Remove material from the grip, not the magwell. You'll need to take about 3/4's of an inch of material inside the top and square it out, then about a 1/4 inch from the front where it meets the trigger guard. I used a dremel cutting disc, but there might be easier ways. I tried using a heated flathead screwdriver with poor results first, but a soldering iron might work well. When I get home, I'll post up some pics of where I removed material... but if you hold the grip up and under where the magwell's grip nut is, you can get a good idea of where you need to make room inside the grip.

That would be great, thanks Risky.

sorry for the shitty quality... my camera's card is UA, so I had to revert to the webcam:

image1lnl.jpgimage2mt.jpg

MD MOLOT?

ETA: Nevermind.

Well, how do you like the M.A.G.12?

Edited by evlblkwpnz

MD MOLOT?

I'm really impressed with it. I did go out and shoot some today in the miserable rainy snow crap thats been coming down. It makes reloading a breeze... no fumbling on a closed bolt or having to lock it back. Just slap the mag in and rack it.

I had some problems cycling federal bulk, though. My gun is still undergassed and I have been compensating with the booster puck. It might be one of those odd harmonic problems like some folks have with some quad rails... I really just need to stop beating around to bush and open up my ports. I shot a few dozen remington and federal 2.5 inch slugs and 10 rounds of remington 3 inch buck without a hitch, though, so the magwell is feeding perfectly fine.

MD MOLOT?

I'm really impressed with it. I did go out and shoot some today in the miserable rainy snow crap thats been coming down. It makes reloading a breeze... no fumbling on a closed bolt or having to lock it back. Just slap the mag in and rack it.

I had some problems cycling federal bulk, though. My gun is still undergassed and I have been compensating with the booster puck. It might be one of those odd harmonic problems like some folks have with some quad rails... I really just need to stop beating around to bush and open up my ports. I shot a few dozen remington and federal 2.5 inch slugs and 10 rounds of remington 3 inch buck without a hitch, though, so the magwell is feeding perfectly fine.

Awesome. I had them hold my magwell until a new Saiga 12 came in for me. I'm excited. Looks like everyone likes their M.A.G.12.

Holy cow, thats a huge amount of material gone. So is it just this grip that doesnt fit the new magwell or is it every grip? Also, can your mags just fall out if you push the release mag button? Mine wont, im sure its just how i shaved the mag though, might need to do a little more work on it.

About the gas ports, I have a 4 port gun, what size should they be? I have had jams almost every mag recently with the cheap walmart bulk pack ammo.