Ak 47 Saiga 7.62x39 bolt carrier

I've used a bulgarian 7.62x39 bolt carrier in my Saiga as well as my Yugo M70 with no problems.

A few years a go I tried testing whether a Bulgarian AKM carrier would work in a Saiga and the carier would not go all the way forward.

The gas pistons AKM versus AK74/AK100 are at least 1/2 inch different in length. The AKM carrier was also a bit too high for my saiga.

AKM carriers are different than AK74/AK100 This is how far forward it went.

1417bi9.jpg

A saiga bolt stem fits way loose in a AKM carrier.

34yu2at.jpg

The bolt size dimensions are not even compatible. Bulgarian AKM in the center. Russian AK100 types on each side.

n477ky.jpg

ohjktw.jpg

Close up of the Bulgarian AKM carrier arm rubbing the Saiga inner front sight block at the point that it can no longer move forward because it is too tall.

33pg2gh.jpg

Conclusion: Go try a surplus AK74 carrier and forget the AKM type carriers.

By the way, Swapping bolts even on rifles with the same exact type bolts requires headspacing the bolt to prevent the rifle from blowing up.

Edited by my762buzz

The reason why i ask is because I had it sand blasted and now it's rusting. Cobra fr this forum gave me a pretty solid deal to refinish it and do it the right away, but i just wanted to see if it was worth switching it out or getting it redone the right way this time, my main thing is that it's a russsian bolt carrier and I would rather keep mine then switch it out with any other foreign part. Chime in with ur thoughts

I've used a bulgarian 7.62x39 bolt carrier in my Saiga as well as my Yugo M70 with no problems.

A few years a go I tried testing whether a Bulgarian AKM carrier would work in a Saiga and the carier would not go all the way forward.

The gas pistons AKM versus AK74/AK100 are at least 1/2 inch different in length. The AKM carrier was also a bit too high for my saiga.

AKM carriers are different than AK74/AK100 This is how far forward it went.

1417bi9.jpg

A saiga bolt stem fits way loose in a AKM carrier.

34yu2at.jpg

The bolt size dimensions are not even compatible. Bulgarian AKM in the center. Russian AK100 types on each side.

n477ky.jpg

ohjktw.jpg

Close up of the Bulgarian AKM carrier arm rubbing the Saiga inner front sight block at the point that it can no longer move forward because it is too tall.

33pg2gh.jpg

Conclusion: Go try a surplus AK74 carrier and forget the AKM type carriers.

By the way, Swapping bolts even on rifles with the same exact type bolts requires headspacing the bolt to prevent the rifle from blowing up.

My mistake for not clarifying the saiga bolt carrier(74 type) and the AKM type. The bulgarian 74 and AKM carriers that I bought from Apex has worked in their respective models. The 74 in the saiga and the AKM in the Yugo M70. Never swaped the bolts themselves though, just the carrier.

Since you mentioned the whole deal with the head spacing and needing additional work, I'm just going to keep my Russian original bolt and just make sure I restore it via chroming it or just sending it to cobra and having him refinish it and I'm sure he's going to do a bang up job, alot of people said alot of good things about him. U think I should go that route or just buy a new Bolt carrier, keep in mind my bolt is fine and don't wanna touch it

Heres some carrier comparison pics top one is from the 7.62x39 saiga second one down is the 74 carrier and the bottom one is the AKM. Both the 74 and the AKM are bulgarian carriers. I've use the second one down(the bulgarian 74) with the saiga bolt in my saiga rifle.

post-16002-0-15039500-1318468288.jpeg

post-16002-0-49976000-1318468299.jpeg

Edited by XXasdf

Damn that's pretty good man, u got alot of pics, that helps alot, ur right the bulgy ak 74 bolt looks very similar to the Saiga, what would i have to do to put in the bulgy ak 74 bolt carrier, u said something about head spacing?

Headspacing is for bolt replacements. The carriers do not require this. The carriers do not interact with the bolt lock up tolerances.

Makes alot of sense, uv been helpful, would you restore your bolt carrier? Or just buy a new Bulgarian bolt carrrier for like $45 opposed to spending about $100 having it recompense the professional way and keeping the original russian bolt carrier?

You can get an AK74 carrier for $20 from http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/56800-wts-bulgarian-ak74-parts/

You could also just spray finish for less than $10 http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/70475-alternative-finish-for-your-762x39-rifles/page__p__684879&do=findComment&comment=684879

I have used the caliper paint lately with great success. It is real easy to do.

By the way, I completely stripped and refinished this rifle with the same caliper paint.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ldfvyx

ThAt finish on the rifle looked really nice, unfortunately I don't have the know how to take the entire thing apart to actually refinish the rifle, which I would if i did. But basically just paint my bolt carrier with caliper spray, or break solvent and it will hold up? It wont slow down my bolt or cause it jam at all?

ThAt finish on the rifle looked really nice, unfortunately I don't have the know how to take the entire thing apart to actually refinish the rifle, which I would if i did. But basically just paint my bolt carrier with caliper spray, or break solvent and it will hold up? It wont slow down my bolt or cause it jam at all?

If your not going to clean the carrier or rifle with break parts cleaner, then it will hold up great. Just use a mild cleaner. Clean the carrier off before painting with break parts cleaner to fully degrease.

Your carrier came from the factory painted. I stripped and painted a few carriers and never had a jam. I would caution to not paint the inner bolt tunnel and leave that as is. The bolt is also another part that does not need painting and should be left alone.

That was one smart thing I never did was not sandblast the bolt, i only had the guy sandblast my carrier. So let me get this straight, i should clean the carrier with degreaser, and then paint it with break parts cleaner? And that should do the job? Or should i paint it with caliper paint instead? After i used a degreaser to clean yhe gun. Cuz I'm sure either way it's going to add a coat on the carrier right? My bad about all these questions, I just wanna get it right.

That was one smart thing I never did was not sandblast the bolt, i only had the guy sandblast my carrier. So let me get this straight, i should clean the carrier with degreaser, and then paint it with break parts cleaner? And that should do the job? Or should i paint it with caliper paint instead? After i used a degreaser to clean yhe gun. Cuz I'm sure either way it's going to add a coat on the carrier right? My bad about all these questions, I just wanna get it right.

Brake parts cleaner Is a degreaser not a paint. It's a quite harsh degreaser that will peal paint and degrease well. Yes you will have another coat on the carrier. Like buzz said just dont paint the inside of the bolt channel or the bolt. And I would recomend not painting the bottom of the carrier which pushes the hammer down and strips a round. Actually on these sections polishing is best.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did you read the thread?

The Saiga requires an AK-74 bolt carrier and an AK-10x series 7.62x39 bolt. So in other words, you are pretty much stuck with a replacement bolt from Russia (Saiga, SGL, or VEPR).

Bulgarian SLR series 7.62x39 bolts will NOT work.