scope mounts

im not a big fan of mounting anything on the dust cover i had a sks i did that with the scope never held zero dont know if the ak is the same way but just dont feel comfortable with the dust cover mounts

this is what im looking at for around 50 bucks fits low on the dust cover and says it lines up perfect with the bore of the rifle med_835.jpg

The TWS rail actually attaches positively to the rear sight block and rear trunnion. It isn't just a dust cover with a rail on it. They used to make a rail that didn't replace the dustcover. I'm not sure why they discontinued that one, but it's a more stable setup than those that just replace one dust cover with another dust cover.

Other routes to consider include the DPH rail sold here by CSS. It complicates field stripping and iron sight use, but it's a sturdy mount with a lot of real estate for positioning rings.

• Like 1

The only thing I don't like about the Berryl type mounts, and please correct me if I'm wrong really I may be, but from what I've seen in order to use an internal stock block you have to cut off where the berryl mounts to in the back. Takes away an option I'm very interested in, I like the fit of the AR adjustable stocks and the ACE folders.

The TWS Gen 2 Rail is a far cry from any of the old, afterthought, railed dustcovers.

As already stated, the way it mounts to the firearm is greatly improved, the design and construction is sound and it has been thoroughly tested.

And with the Gen 2, go ahead cut the tang and mount a internal block, it doesn't mount to the tang, unlike older Beryl rail type Over the Dustcover rails.

It locks into the recoil spring assembly and onto/around the rear of the receiver... It holds a zero.

I have the TWS Gen 1 on my Saiga.308-ver.21, love it! But my ver.2 is a range toy and hunting rifle

I've no real interest in scoping my 762, nor any other AK type MBR, but If I did, my first choice for a rail would be the TWS Gen 2.

• 2 weeks later...

if you are converting your rifle, make sure you keep up with eye relief on the scope. the shorter ak stocks drop the allowed relief to about 2 -3" total. most american scopes require longer eye relief. i imported a cheap 3-9x40 from Ukraine with a 2" eye relief and that was still hard to focus in on with a warsaw stock @ 9x. switched it up to the Nato length and got the extra 1.25". now its great at all settings.

I use a VOMZ mount. It has a forward facing angle. If you can find a type III, they are more forward angled. You can get them and other mounts at Kalinka optics warehouse. I also use a BP-02 mount. i found a used one cheap on gunbroker (35$).

Edited by GregM1