So, What's in your BoB/Survival pack

18 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your priority for Survival pack/ BoB

• Firepower - Second MBR/Tons of ammo
    • Food - 15-25pounds or more
    • Survival equipment - tents/ chainsaws/ ect
    • Lightweight - 15-20 pounds or less total kit
    • Agriculture Supplies - Seeds/Other
    • Intelligence Equipment - Solar panels/Surveillance Cameras/Batteries/Radios/1000's Digital Survival Books
    • Balanced Approach - A little bit of everything great for the lone operator
    • Extreme Weight - 70+ pound elephant pack, because your worth it
    • Medical Supplies - Great for a trained professional

*** This was originally a reply to Yarps thread. However, because he requested his thread deleted, i'm starting a new one with a similar topic***

Okay i'm sure a lot of you guys have thought about this kind of thing before and some probably even have their BoB's ready to go,if you don't have one feel free to dream list.

Some things i think would be important to consider are...

1. How much can you carry?

2, Will you be alone?

3. How dangerous is your AO

4. Will you be nomad or set up a Base of Operations?

5. How bad is the SHTF you expect, will be likely to last for over 1-2 years?

6. And if so, How likely is it that you will be able to set up long term animal husbandry/agriculture to sustain your self or will you be a raider?

• Here's my expected situation and my current survival pack

• I have an established Base of Operations 200 miles away from primary residence set up for large scale food production, i have two solid C-operators with me in my team, and one pretty tough woman who i'd trust with a weapon in SHTF, everyone else would be a non- C-operator carrying only their rations and mabye some spare ammo.

• So here's what mind looks like just in case roads are closed and i need to make it there on foot.

• 40 pounds total pack

1. Main Battle Carbine - 10lb

2. 6 mags with 180 rounds loaded - 7lb

3. Dried Food Stuffs, 18,000 calories - 10lb

4. Side arm - 3.5 pounds loaded with spare mag

5. 7 1/2 inch full tang hunting knife 1lb

6. Water filter and a pack of bleach tablets - 2lb

7. Blankets 3lb

9. General Meds - 4 ounces

10. 120 rounds 5.56 for MBR, carried unloaded 4lb

11. HH radio for comm with team members 1lb

And honestly my personal opinion if its a real SHTF like a likely dollar collapse i'm not wasting any time to get in my car and get the **** out of the city while there's still time, Because walking 200 miles in the post apocalyptic Hellscape we all soon face is pretty much a death sentence.

i'm just glad i have land in the wilderness.

Edited by Joebanks

I'm not even worried about it.

If the apocalypse ever happens, I'm bugging in. I'm also going to immediately use it as an excuse to do something I've always wanted to do: become a cannibal.

I'll have plenty to eat.

Edited by Dudethebagman
  • Like 2

If the apocalypse ever happens, I'm bugging in. I'm also going to immediately use it as an excuse to do something I've always wanted to do: become a cannibal.

I'll have plenty to eat.

Ha! Long pork and hairless goat.

But seriously... I'd bug in unless things got too bad. Then, if things were too bad to stay at my home, things would likely be bad where I intend to go...

My BOB stays packed all the time, it's in one of the 5.11 40" COMS cases and includes 2 rifles, a week's worth of clothes, 1000+ rds of ammo for the main rifle and 5000+ for the .22, 2 pistols a 45 and 22, a weeks worth of clothes, some MREs, the biggest first aid kit Wilderness Survival makes, and some Sterno. If the SHTF I'm bugging out after loading the horses and some other assorted things that don't fit in the BOB, like the range box and reloading setup, it's all mounted to coupl portable stands that get C-clamped to the bench when it's time to load or cast (probably have enough components on hand to load another 25000+ rds of 308, just some of the bullets wouldn't be ideal for hunting. Needless to say I'm going 1500+ miles away and up the side of a mountain. Me and the kids will be fine.

I'm an avid backpacker. My "BoB" is tailored to whatever conditions it may require. Eruption of nearby volcano? Gasmask with 2 spare carts. Zombie apocalypse? This is the saiga forum, WTF do you think I'd use? :) Tsunami? Food and shelter. . . essentially my typical backpacking kit.

I do have Costco's pre-built survival pack if something generalist is needed without any warning. I swapped out the crowbar for my 10mm and 100 rounds, however.

I'll have plenty to eat.

So you're not going to leave your house, and you're going to become a cannibal? Can I ask............does whoever you live with, know of your plan? lol

Note to self: Don't venture into Dude's house in the case of an apocalypse-style break down of society.

021.gif

• Like 1

I'm set up for three levels of survival, Bug In, always working on upping my set up, Bug Out in Vehicle, and Bug Out on Foot. Yes, BI, BOV, and BOF, sounds like Valley Boy names, lol. As for the above questions....

1. How much can you carry?

Full load out, 60-80#+/-. I'm set up with full Molle pack and vest so I can shed shit as needed. My pack contains .22 carbine and a couple hundred rnds of .22lr , clothes, old German sleeping bag/parka, a week or more of rations and tent/tarpage, personal odds & ends, etc. My vest has Hydropack, (in mags/drum/speed loaders) up to 400rnds+/- of x39 for the RPK, and/or 113rnds 12ga. for the S12, 40rds of .45 and 18rnds of .357. Extra ammo, 3days of E-rats, Binocs/NV, cordage, basic survival gear, mini e-tool, etc.

2, Will you be alone?

Depends on situation. BI, no, but my SO will likely be of little use save cooking/medical needs. BOV, maybe. BOF, likely until I hook up with my daughter and grandkids.

3. How dangerous is your AO?

Not too bad, semi rural with lots of older folk/families about. Main issue would be those streaming out of town as we're on a secondary highway, property defense could be an issue. Big problem would be getting to my daughter and grandkids, 2 & 1/2 hrs away by truck. Most likely when I would be alone and on foot.

4. Will you be nomad or set up a Base of Operations?

Depends on the situation again, but in EOW situ, likely nomad till I could find a defendible local with sustainalbe resources. Had a canyon in AZ lined up for such, but it's a little far now, lol.

5. How bad is the SHTF you expect, will be likely to last for over 1-2 years?

Most will likely be short term(6mo+/-, but in the event of a EOW scenario, all holds are off and ANYTHING goes to keep me and mine safe and fed. Even a visit to "Dude's Long Pork House" may be an option, lol.

6. And if so, How likely is it that you will be able to set up long term animal husbandry/agriculture to sustain your self or will you be a raider?

Well, I used to know an old man that survived in late and post war Germany by farming/eating rats, so alot is possible. While I would prefer to barter my skills/work for neccessities, I'm not above raiding lightly protected gov facilities/convoys. Or even the occasional asshat.

I'm trying to get to know the locals better, adding to my useful skills resume and building up my supplies. Not to mention updateing my weapons training and passing it on to my family.

I'll have plenty to eat.

So you're not going to leave your house, and you're going to become a cannibal? Can I ask............does whoever you live with, know of your plan? lol

Meh. She doesn't have enough meat on her to bother dressing her out. Something like this would make a better roast:

imagesqtbnANd9GcTksI_HJ-XRIz-xxwAEvi5-s25C-rCGIVBZTOd508wefifzARS5.jpg

I take my cues about the apocalypse from movies like "Deliverance" and "Ravenous."

A lot of people seem to think they'll drive their monster trucks long distances from the cities out to the boonies, feast on roast elk and wild berries, and generally live out some fantasy of how the indians lived. I already live on the edge of the boonies, and I'm pretty sure there isn't enough game to go feed the the hundreds of millions of rugged individualists who share the same delusion. It'd be less like hunting camp and more like the Donner Party. So I'd just skip the intermediate step and go straight to people.

Vanguards of the post-apocalyptic lifestyle:

deliverance-1.gif imagesqtbnANd9GcTksI_HJ-XRIz-xxwAEvi5-s25C-rCGIVBZTOd508wefifzARS5.jpg1.jpg

None of the Above...

• Cheetos
  • 1970's Era Playboys
  • KY
  • Vasoline

Heh. Good choices. These discussions do get a bit masturbatory, eh?

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I'm bugging in too. got enough plywood to cover the windows, basement full of food. Hope to work with neighbors to secure the neighborhood and set up a watch. Got some good people around so I think we can swing it...for a while at least.

This is what is referred to as "Third Line" equipment or (heavy sustainment systems that allow long term living).

My BOB is packed damn near the same as my ruck was when Active Duty. Water and water purification devices are primary to have in a BOB. You cannot live long without clean water. I have a MSR water rig plus a MIOX pen for that duty. The MSR will remove the particles and lots of the taste of shitty water. The MIOX pen will simply disinfect water for drinking but will have particles and taste like shit, but do the deed quicker. (The particles not filtered is where the bad taste comes from). The MIOX stays on my first line equipment should I need to ditch the ruck.

Other gear in my BOB is Military issued SPEAR 7 layer clothing to keep me warm and dry. Dry socks! If you are prior Military and did shit I did, you know what I mean! Military 3 layer sleep system supplemented by a poncho liner and a poncho for a hasty shelter. MREs. Other misc. stuff like paracord, firestarter, etc. I also have a M9 bayonnet that is razor sharp attached along with an E-tool and a Gerber camp axe that actually did serve me well in Iraq. (We didn't get our re-supply and had to buy a cow and BBQ it). Axes are good to have! Extra ammo, spare batteries for equipment, oh I do have a Red Cluster Slap Flare in there too. laugh.png I have a Gerber folding handsaw with a wood blade and one for bone in my hunting gear that will get thrown in as well.

My "Second Line" (which is the main harness to execute the figh)t is a Paraclete Plate Carrier with my ammo for my Primary and Secondary weapons, a dumper, a CAT and an Israeli Bandage, and a hydration pouch out back.. Plus my pace count beads. Forgot the Skedco MOUT extraction pack.

"First Line" which are the bare necessities to live another day are on a "battle belt". I use the HSGI UDHP with a Safariland Glock holster and a Benchmade Nimravus combination. The Benchmade is mounted to the UDHP with a Blackwater sheath that accepts the Benchmade Kydex as an insert. I carry spare mags for both Primary and Secondary weapons on it as well in case the third and second line equipment have to be ditched. Also on the UDHP are two pouches for a multi-tool or spare pistol mags. Also on the belt are my Tritium lit lensatic compass, an Emdom folding dumper that can be used for anything, a couple of 1 quart canteens, and a Spec Ops butt pack that has lots of room in it for maps, candy bars, and other stuff.

I'm sure I'm missing tons of shit on my gear, have to double check it. rolleyes.gif

There are a ton of ways to skin this cat. I kind of went with what I was trained to do in the Military because it works, your mileage may vary.

ETA: Bugging in or even bugging out with my Jeep is a whole different scenerio with much more added crap! smile.png

Edited by MT Predator

Ninjas....millions of them. If I say the magic word they pop out of my BOB, make me a pot pie and then go to work. I also keep six sherpas in there so they can carry me, walking more then 10 yards hurts my feet so I've delegated the task to them. I use six instead of four cause it gets' bumpy when there tired.

That is all and good day to you.

• Like 2

Ninjas....millions of them. If I say the magic word they pop out of my BOB, make me a pot pie and then go to work. I also keep six sherpas in there so they can carry me, walking more then 10 yards hurts my feet so I've delegated the task to them. I use six instead of four cause it gets' bumpy when there tired.

That is all and good day to you.

The dehydrated Instant-Ninja's are great, but make sure you keep them in a plastic bag in case it rains.

I will have some friends or family with me so we can split rations and equipment. Everyone will have a firearm because I am not carrying all of my rifles, but they all won't be operable because I can't trust everyone.

Untrustworthy people wouldn't be going with me. Unless of course... You're bringing them for food! Lol!