AR stock conversion help needed.

I posted this image over in the picture gallery but I don't know if it will see enough traffic to get me the answer I'm looking for. So I'm very close to finishing my conversion and I knew I wanted to put a specific AR stock on it, the Magpul UBR.

So I opted for the SGM Tactitcal rear trunion. I removed the factory one and last night finally installed the new part. If you know the UBR you know that unlike most AR stocks it has a propreitarty tube that goes with it, which stays fixed. Here is where I ran into trouble.

th_388aeb54.jpg

As you can see at the bottom of the trunion there is a small indent to hold a standard AR tube in place and keep it from rotating. As you can see below the UBR doesn't thread in far enough so the tube wants to spin, which in turn spins the entire stock.

th_61392818.jpg

Problem 2. The way the stock sits it doesn't really leave enough room to put your hand around the grip without it digging into the top of your thumb.

So any thoughts? I can't change out the trunion now that I have removed the factory one as it has the channel on top that keeps the charging spring in place (don't know if that's the right term but you know what I mean, I hope. )

Any input would be great.

Yes, you can replace the trunnion you cut out.

They are available, find one and rivet it in.

I believe this guy still has Bulgy 74 rear trunnions, and IIRC they are compatible... Don't quote me on that though.

Then use a Internal Block and Pig Nose adapter to mount the UBR.

Internal block: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-372/Saiga-AK47-Internal-Stock/Detail

Pig nose: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-170/ACE-CAR15-SAIGA-AK47/Detail

I must say that looks like a damned $hame.. Like the Chile guy said put another trunnion with tang in there.

http://www.parts4ak47.com/ak-47_accessories/product/Stock_Adapter_Accept_AR-15_Stocks.html

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ar-15-to-ak-47-stock-adapter.aspx?a=506925

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/931749/mako-ar-15-style-stock-adapter-for-ak-47-rifles

After doing that get one of these ^

Its an adaptor I have use on both of my saiga 12s and an AK. Yes its plastic but it brings the stock up at just the right height so its not rubbing on your thumb. Its like a seemless transistion that I suspect you are looking for. Its alot more solid than you think. It gives the buffer tube full support and bolts in tight. There is a bit of a trick to installing but its well worth it in the end. It looks like you have about a $250+ problem. This thing is between $20-$30. Its worth trying ''Trust me'' I know it will solve that problem and still have the look and feel you're looking for.

Might want to be carefull with welding it. Weld metal is harder than the russian receiver metal. It doesn't flex the same and over time it will crack where the strength difference is. There is a guy on here that had that problem. A few AK rivets are not hard to find at all. With a rivet gun and a bucking bar it should take 5-10 minutes to do.

From Ace, Use this:

FSM-AR-big.png

And from Carolina Shooters supply, use this:

CSS%20INT%20BLOCK.jpg

Mount the folding Mechanism high, so the stock tube is in-line with the barrel.

Trust me. This is the best set-up even though you may not need the stock to fold, especially with a UBR.

ETA: Love mine, and it shoots awesome:

CIMG0042.jpg

Edited by headshot
  • 1 month later...

keepthatcrapoff.jpg

a member posts a legitimate technical question and you post that tired old bullshit..

nice..

to the OP...

you saved the old trunion.. so no real problem.. just reinstall it.. as pointed out.. no need to weld it.. just rivet it... if you can't there are likely individuals who can.. you might need to think outside the box and look for a metal fabricator VS a gunsmith..

riveting a trunion is not reinventing the wheel...

a far simpler solution would be to just sell that stock and use a normal AR stock?

I have a Magpul CTR on my Saigas and love it.. nice and light.. adjustable for different uses and or users..

just because the gun didn't come equipped with it over 50 years ago.. does not mean there is not room to improve..

saiga12finalvlad1.jpg

It was a joke, I've never installed any of that stuff on a Saiga either so I'm just learning too, I've been told that I have dry sense of humor...

you are totally entitled to your opinion one way or another.. just didn't seem like the time and place.. you know.. someone has invested a lot of money in a gun.. and having it not work out is really frustrating..

no harm done.. was just saying..

OP,

DO NOT WELD THE TRUNNION IN.

You will regret it.... rivets or leave it the way it is.

Good advice.... update the info in your profile (location). There may be people nearby you who are skilled and have the tools to press the rivets for you or let you do it yourself on their equipment, but they will never know that you live in the same town/city or a neighboring town/city if it doesn't show below your avatar.

Edited by evlblkwpnz