recoil buffers

I won't say no one uses them, but I don't. I tried using one on my .308 Saiga when I had a Tech Sight installed, because the Tech Sight did not have the mechanical buffer the .308's recoil spring assembly did. It started sticking up the works when the weather changed though.

That said, the addition of the buffer was for functional purposes rather than ergonomic ones. On a .308, the difference between using the buffer and not using it was imperceptible. Maybe it would have a greater relative effect on the light-kicking .223 Saiga.

I have a Blackjack buffer on my Saiga .223 since day one . After 400 rds , no problems at all . It is insurance that no damage will be done to the carrier or the trunnion , so I am keeping it installed . I have another Blackjack buffer on my PSL 7.62x54R for the same reasons ... also no problems .

Edited by josey88

A buffer would not reduce recoil at all . It is designed to prevent the carrier hitting the trunnion . It is a cushion device . In many rifles , it happens ... in others not , but many people (me included) prefer the insurance of having the buffer installed if there is no interference , just in case.

A buffer would not reduce recoil at all . It is designed to prevent the carrier hitting the trunnion . It is a cushion device . In many rifles , it happens ... in others not , but many people (me included) prefer the insurance of having the buffer installed if there is no interference , just in case.

My point exactly - cheap insurance at sub-$20.