Saiga Arrival

I just got in my Saiga IZ132 from J&G Sales. It's one of the TGI ones that has the ugly "velcro" stippled rectangle. Other than that, the rifle looks great. I normally disassemble a weapon and clean/oil it before shooting it, but it looked great. It wasn't gunked up with cosmo and seemed to be oiled pretty well from the factory. I took a flashlight and looked inbetween the shroud and barrel and saw what looked like threads. I used a pipe cutter as recommended by many and it worked great (and I did find threads). I went outside (I live on 27 acres) and popped off 10 rounds real quick and it functioned perfectly. Without a flash hider or anything on there, the flame coming from the barrel was pretty big. The recoil didn't seem so bad though. I was shooting one of those self healing shooting cubes at about 40-50 yards and was hitting it without needing to make any adjustments.

I then started doing some of the conversion with some of the pieces I had. I filed the back of the mag lever down some with a dremel. I was then easily able to fit some of the "chugo" mags I ordered from AIM (they came in excellent condition BTW) into the mag well. I went to line up the bullet guide. I did have a round trunnion. I placed the bullet guide in the center, center punched where I needed to drill, and tested the bolt/bolt carrier to make sure it didn't hit it. I easily drilled and tapped it with the kit from CSS. I need to pick up some red loctite to lock down the screw as I only found some blue in my toolbox.

I test cycled a few rounds then went and shot another 10 rounds with one of my 30 round mags. Everything functioned perfectly. I test fit the russian gas tube I got from KVAR and it fits perfectly. I got in the Saiga-AK.com lower handguard retainer, but have yet to install it. The piece looks very nice though. I'm going to start the rest of the conversion tomorrow

I just got in my Saiga IZ132 from J&G Sales. It's one of the TGI ones that has the ugly "velcro" stippled rectangle. Other than that, the rifle looks great. I normally disassemble a weapon and clean/oil it before shooting it, but it looked great. It wasn't gunked up with cosmo and seemed to be oiled pretty well from the factory. I took a flashlight and looked inbetween the shroud and barrel and saw what looked like threads. I used a pipe cutter as recommended by many and it worked great (and I did find threads). I went outside (I live on 27 acres) and popped off 10 rounds real quick and it functioned perfectly. Without a flash hider or anything on there, the flame coming from the barrel was pretty big. The recoil didn't seem so bad though. I was shooting one of those self healing shooting cubes at about 40-50 yards and was hitting it without needing to make any adjustments.

I then started doing some of the conversion with some of the pieces I had. I filed the back of the mag lever down some with a dremel. I was then easily able to fit some of the "chugo" mags I ordered from AIM (they came in excellent condition BTW) into the mag well. I went to line up the bullet guide. I did have a round trunnion. I placed the bullet guide in the center, center punched where I needed to drill, and tested the bolt/bolt carrier to make sure it didn't hit it. I easily drilled and tapped it with the kit from CSS. I need to pick up some red loctite to lock down the screw as I only found some blue in my toolbox.

I test cycled a few rounds then went and shot another 10 rounds with one of my 30 round mags. Everything functioned perfectly. I test fit the russian gas tube I got from KVAR and it fits perfectly. I got in the Saiga-AK.com lower handguard retainer, but have yet to install it. The piece looks very nice though. I'm going to start the rest of the conversion tomorrow

Congrats.

Have you looked inside the barrel where the case neck of the cartridge sits, to see if their is a step in the barrel?

The best way I suppose to know this without looking is: Look at your spent casings, and let us know if any of the case necks are swollen.

I ask because Im gonna receive my TGI imported Saiga this week. The person I ordered it from said their was no step in the one they are sending me.

Here is the thread about this issue: http://forum.saiga-1...-swelling-pics/

Just curious. thanks

Edited by rob0126

I've put 130 rounds through without a single problem. Now that I know the rifle is good to go, I started the conversion.

I've drilled the pins and rivets, taken out the FCG. Dremeled the factory triggerguard and re-mounted it. I left out the BHO on the new installation. I installed the Tapco G2 and was impressed with the trigger for being a cheap $30 trigger. The pull seemed a little heavier than my Geissele on my AR. Just a guess, but it feels like it's in the 4-4.5lb range. The bolt carrier seems to hang a bit more on the hammer than it did with the factory trigger. BTW, does anyone have a good way to limit the over travel on the single hook G2's?

I'm waiting on my ironwood furniture to arrive so I can finish the conversion. I'm going to use a flat sided hungarian lower handguard instead of the bulged handguards. I ordered beechwood furniture and I plan on using some Natural Watco Danish Oil on it. I'm going to put a brown bakelite pistol grip on it too. I can't wait to get these final parts in so I can finish it up.

I also won a free Echo93 v1. sling plate from their facebook page and can't wait to try that out too.

Edited by Erocku