Sign in to follow this  
sndman762

cleaning the new saiga

i havent got my saiga yet but was wondering what u all use to clean the packing grease out of these guns, the last time i had a sks i used break cleaner but it took some of the blueing of the rifle

The saiga is not surplus so it's not packed in cosmoline like the SKS and some other AK variants. It just has a light oil from the factory. Shouldn't need any cleaning. Maybe just a light lube.

Liberty is correct on the point that the Saiga is a new manufacture firearm, that comes lightly oiled from the factory, not a 50yr'ol milsurp dug outta a ComBloc armory and still packed in cosmoline.

However it needs a thorough cleaning, not as in bore scrubbing, fouling removal, but a complete breakdown, wipe down and inspection of all parts.

No solvents needed, just a good oil, perhaps a good dual purpose protectant like CLP.

These can be a little rough from the factory, not unusual to find rough edges/burrs, metal shavings, blocked/partially blocked gas ports and what not.

This is a perfect way to get acquainted with your new firearm, before breaking it in by shooting the crap out of it.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I will toss Ballistol in there. I use it for pretty much everything. Lube, copper and lead deposit removal, everything. and its non-carcinogenic. and smells quite nice :)

• Like 1

finally got my saiga in took it apart cleaned and lubed it up, i have a couple questions 1 do you guys put oil on the piston or run it dry 2 how do you go about cleaning the gas tube looks like i can fit a 12 ga brush in there but dont think i should chance it till i here from u guys with the exp

I use a very light coat of oil on mine. I always figured that it's a moving part so it should have some oil on it.

I usually remove the gas tube and clean with Hoppes 9 and then lightly oil it. A light coat of oil seems to help when cleaning later and helps prevent rust inside the gas tube when not in use, If you have a 12 guage plastic bristle cleaning brush that should got through but the cotton swab brush may not. I use the plastic bristle brush on mine.

Unlike some others that never clean their AK or Saiga I clean mine after every trip to the range for several reasons.

1. Habit from serving in the military

2. It never hurts

3. It lets you form a bond with the weapon knowing it inside and out

4. Easy to find any mechanical issues before they become major (rare with AK or Saiga but some times stuff happens)

5. Prevent corrosion

6. A happy gun is a clean gun.

7. I actually enjoy it.

Hope that helps.

what kind of cleaning rod do u all use, the rod i use seems to be to long cause when i slid the patch through the rod is somewhat at a angle and i noticed the paint on the rod is getting scratched off

Better to have a long rod than too short of one.big_smile.gif

I have several military style web pouch cleaning kits with steel rods that all have black paint on them. Over time the paint rubs off one way or another. The land and grooves in the barrel will make contact with rod as it flexes on it's way through the barrel. The bore on .223 is only slightly bigger than most rods. If you want less flex use smaller patches. They pass through easier, but you may have to make more passes with them to get the same level of cleaning done.

do any of u guys use gun scruber the sell it at walmart i got a can to clean out the gas tube looks like it worked then i oiled a 12gauge mop and ran it through a couple times with clp on it

so when u clean the tube with hoppes #9 how do you get a patch in there to clean the hoppes out or do you just go over it with the oil

i have butches bore shine to clean all my guns but i dont have a patch big enough to remove the shine from the tube so thats why i used the gun scrubber i just sprayed it in there let it set then i took a 12ga brush swipped it out a couple times then put some clp on a bore mop and ran it through a couple of times

IMO I would not ever oil the piston. It is a loose fitting part to begin with, is chromed, and rides into a chromed chamber in the gas block - this is more than enough for the piston to operate freely as a dry part. Oiling the piston or piston rod is unnecessary and will only serve to create a goopy mess by attracting gas contaminants that would otherwise leave the gas system on their own.

A 12ga brush does work well for cleaning the gas tube.