http://81131127-dan-wheldon.jpg

Terrible news from Las Vegas, ALOT of People here in Central Indiana either have something to do with racing or most of us at least know someone who does.

I know quiet a few Indy Yellow Shirts (Volunteers) they are a GREAT source of inside information about the People who both run and participate in the many Races in Speedway. And to a man/women they all have great things to say about Dan.......just terrible.

Edited by Bean.223

I add my condolences. terrible news.

I started going to the 500 as a youngster and remember several wrecks in particular - the big one on the straightaway with Swede Savage was especially scary.

Another way back when Mark Donohue was racing and I saw a guy stop his car, get out and pull another driver out of his burning car - Ill never forget that.

People who watch racing to see wrecks are sick

Harv

+1 Harv, I can still remember the crash that killed Swede Savage all these years later. I knew something was bad when an hour later nothing seemed to indicate the race was going to restart anytime soon. I watched the crash over and over on youtube and it's a miracle that Wheldon was the only driver that died. I can't remember the last time there was a crash that bad, even in NASCAR at Daytona and Talladaga. I feel for his family, the guy was only 33 with a wife and two sons. It's always exciting to see a car crash only due to the fact that the cars have become so safe, this one was really bad to the point when I first saw it happen you just know sad.png

Watched the race. Terrible wreck, terrible tragedy. Ironically the race broadcast was showing footage from his onboard camera when the cars ahead of him began to spin. When the directors saw the cars spin ahead they cut to a different camera, and two seconds later he becomes involved. Somewhere there is footage of how the entire thing must have looked to him... makes me wonder if the camera went black during the impact or if it kept on transmitting through the entire horrible wreck...

Edited by Jpanzer