Problem with Ace Pushbutton Sidefolder, pn A500PB

This is more of an FYI for people contemplating cutting off their tang.

Cut the tang off my Saiga 7.62 in the hopes of using an ACE sidefolder setup which I heard was rock solid.

I bought the Ace A500PB with the pushbutton. Almost $100 from Midway. As soon as I got it, I thought it was a tiny bit sloppy, but thought it a compromise since it was a folder.

The design looked flawed and had an adjustment screw that corrected the slop.

Well, over time it appears that the hardened set screw has warn it's way ..056" of the way deep into the other side of the folder. I keep adjusting it, but now the stock is 20 degrees off when the stock is in the shouldered position. I'm disappointed, but knowing that it's a US gun part, the manufacturer will stand by it.

So I email Ace last Wednesday. I include a model number and Tim's secretary emails me back the following day asking me some qualifying questions about the folder. I answer her questions within minutes of receiving the email, but don't get a response until the next day. Once again I get an email from Tiffany stating that the model is defective and they have a newer version. She doesn't tell me if they will replace it or anything else. That response was Thursday. I emailed her back immediately asking if they would replace it and no email as of yet.

First couple of posters were right, Tim (boss) was out of town. Man, I'm really impatient .

Kind of disappointed in the part and even more disappointed that is has been 3 business days of correspondence and I don't know if they cover it or not. I almost feel like returning it to Midway, even though I bought it a year ago. I might want to have the tang re-welded back on. I don't want to deal with this crap anymore.

I want to vent to you guys and set up some info on the web for other guys before they cut off their tang to put on one of the few options out there for a sidefolder.

I'll keep you posted if they rectify the situation.

**************** UPDATE ***************************

Email from Tiffany to me:

"Thank you for your prompt reply. Unfortunately with it being a year and a half since you purchased the folding stock mechanism we will not be able pay for the shipping to us or the shipping back to you. In most cases if it has been over 30 days since you purchased the product we will not exchange it, unless it is a warranty issue. The mailing address you will need to send the FSM-PB to is"

I think that this is absolute garbage. This piece of crap was $100 bucks and now I have to spend $15 to get a new one, that'll probably be a piece of crap after a year, too.

I'm going to send it back to Midway for credit on my account. Unbelievable.

Horrible customer service. They could at least come out of pocket a whole 2 dollars for shipping to send you the new unit.

Email Tapco about a defective product. They don't even ask you to send your item back. They ask for your address and you have the product a few days later.

Edited by KC913

They should have sent you the newer model without ANY cost. How were you supposed to know they had a newer model of the push button folder without trying to get the defective part fixed? I definitely don't want to think a $100 part I bought won't be good 2 years down the road. At least Midway will give you a credit, that's some pretty rough customer service.

You know, you're not the only one with problems with the ACE stock sets. I have one of their non-push button folding and it's EXTREMELY sloppy. It's on my Saiga 12, which when fired with higher powered loads, actually has enough recoil to push the folding mechanism up and fold the stock. I've emailed ACE about this before and never got a response. I cut my tang for the stock, so I can't really go back to a normal stock set without welding the tang back on.

I'd advise staying WELL AWAY of anything made by ACE.

You know, you're not the only one with problems with the ACE stock sets. I have one of their non-push button folding and it's EXTREMELY sloppy. It's on my Saiga 12, which when fired with higher powered loads, actually has enough recoil to push the folding mechanism up and fold the stock. I've emailed ACE about this before and never got a response. I cut my tang for the stock, so I can't really go back to a normal stock set without welding the tang back on.

I'd advise staying WELL AWAY of anything made by ACE.

Agreed. Any standard ACE folding mechanism I have used on my own Saiga 12 or on friends' has folded under recoil even when rapid firing Federal bulk after it has been installed and used for a short period of time. The only way to avoid them folding up under recoil is to set them up to fold to the right, as the force of the recoil going into your shoulder pushes the folding mechanism in the opposite direction to keep it locked up tight.

maybe you guys are the most unluckess guys I know, I have had mine for about a year and shot nothing but 00 buck, easily 500+ rounds, out my S12 and I have zero problems with it, didn't unfold on me or anything.

is your internal block solid in the receiver? I know I had to shim the bottom of the internal block a bit to get it rock right against the "ears" of the rear trunion, and added a alum plate in the crapco saw grip and replaced the screw with a more substantial screw then LOC-TITE the threads and really cranked that down, hence the need for a alum plate in the grip. I also LOC-TITE the screw thatscrews into the folder. that is the only thing I can think of of why yours would unfold, there is wobble somewhere. I didn't even need to mess with the set scew on the folder.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I'm with Matthew on this. I haven't had a single issue with my ACE folding mechanism on my S-12 after hundreds and hundreds of rounds (probably around 8-900). It's not the push button model though. Mine folds to the left too. Never had it come unlocked under recoil. Weird. +1 for the loctite.