What handguard is this?

Mod is easy to do, pencil, ruler, drill and/or Dremel, flat/round files and some sandpaper.

Measure out the vents, draw it right on the stock, then make it happen.

Cut the front at angle and smooth it out.

I just did the vents.

100_9801.jpg

That happens to be my handguard in the first pic. Also note that I removed the welded cover over the stock gas tube. What you don't see in the pic, is I lined the handguard with insulated aluminum foil. Some have stated that under high rates of fire, the stock handguard has been known to melt.

That happens to be my handguard in the first pic. Also note that I removed the welded cover over the stock gas tube. What you don't see in the pic, is I lined the handguard with insulated aluminum foil. Some have stated that under high rates of fire, the stock handguard has been known to melt.

I like your handguard, nice work and also like the idea of adding a heat shield. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

How did you go about removing the top cover on the gas tube?

• 1 month later...

so the whole thing is still only held on the rifle by the one screw? I assume it still feels solid? I want to do this mod but am concerned about a loose fitting guard.

Yes, there is only one bolt, but the outer end is held in place by two little pins on the barrel sides that slide in grooves in the sides of the hand guard, at the front. That's why you can't cut too much off the front end (low) or you will get into those two grooves and then you have no front support. I sloped mine as low as I could at the front so as not to get into the grooves.

I saw another one in a post yesterday that I like. It was cut horizontally along the barrel at about the height mine is at the front and then angled up at the same angle and parallel to the protruding side bulges. I may modify mine more like that some day. It shows more of the gas tube that way, which I like. If I can find that post, I'll add a link.

Edit: found link I discussed ( by ShawninTN, 1st post photo, click to enlarge) .... http://forum.saiga-1...__fromsearch__1

Edited by Foxtail207

Too Cool! I like the feel of the factory handguard as well and these mods make it look great as well! I'm not sure I am bold enough to try it, though.

J.

No big deal, just a, drill, a Dremel, a file, some sand paper, and a steady hand. Go slow. Make a pattern and have at it.