Hammer to Pin Contact Question

I just received my 'sporter' Saiga 7.62x39. Imported by TGI w/ 09 serial. Also has no step in the barrel.

After looking over the rifle quite a bit, I noticed how the firing pin is setup, in relation to the hammer.

My question is, is the firing pin free floating? Because it looks like it is, and was wondering how, when the hammer drops, that it hits the pin consistently, with no tension on it to stick out from the rear body of the bolt?

I dont understand how the pin gets hit by the hammer, thus popping the primer on the cartridge.

I do see how the bolt rotates as it comes up to connect and lock with the barrel.

You can see how the pin slides a bit back and forth by turning the bolt upside down, and visa versa.

Can someone shed some understanding on this mechanism for me?

thanks

Edited by rob0126

I just received my 'sporter' Saiga 7.62x39. Imported by TGI w/ 09 serial. Also has no step in the barrel.

After looking over the rifle quite a bit, I noticed how the firing pin is setup, in relation to the hammer.

My question is, is the firing pin free floating? Because it looks like it is, and was wondering how, when the hammer drops, that it hits the pin consistently, with no tension on it to stick out from the rear body of the bolt?

I dont understand how the pin gets hit by the hammer, thus popping the primer on the cartridge.

I do see how the bolt rotates as it comes up to connect and lock with the barrel.

You can see how the pin slides a bit back and forth by turning the bolt upside down, and visa versa.

thanks

The firing pin is prevented from moving all the way forward by a live primer. This allows for enough rear length so that the hammer can tag the pin.

thanks

The firing pin is prevented from moving all the way forward by a live primer. This allows for enough rear length so that the hammer can tag the pin.

Still puzzled.

If I turn the bolt upside down, the firing pin will protrude out from the surface of the bolt face hole, and back in by turning it back up.

The manual says the .223 versions have a spring, so Im guessing the rest of them dont.

My concern is slam fires, like an SKS. How is this prevented on a Saiga?

thanks

You’re over thinking it. The firing pin does not have enough mass to set off the primer.

Ahh, ok.

So even pulling the bolt fully back, then letting it fly, to strip a cartridge, and engage, won't set a primer off?

Edited by rob0126

You’re over thinking it. The firing pin does not have enough mass to set off the primer.

Ahh, ok.

So even pulling the bolt fully back, then letting it fly, to strip a cartridge, and engage, won't set a primer off?

If it did you wouldn’t have to ask that question would you. rolleyes.gif

Here's my last question about it:

How exactly does the hammer strike the firing pin, when the pin is not protruding out the rear of the bolt, seeing as the hammer then, will only hit the rear of the bolt face?

thanks

Edited by rob0126

How exactly does the hammer strike the firing pin, when the pin is not protruding out the rear of the bolt, seeing as the hammer then, will only hit the rear of the bolt face?

thanks

Your question was already answered in post #2.

DERP-sonic-the-hedgehog-10015621-640-553.jpg

thanks

No it didn't. Im asking how this mechanism works, so I better understand it. I dont like going blind into anything.

I understand a spring loaded system, not a free floating one: I guess I need someone to lay it out for me technically.

thanks

So does this mean it's a 2 piece firing pin?

What Im trying to figure out is, what mechanism pushes the firing pin out the rear enough, for the hammer to contact it(while the bolt is engaged with the chamber and round), when the trigger is pulled?

thanks

Edited by rob0126

thanks

No it didn't. Im asking how this mechanism works, so I better understand it. I dont like going blind into anything.

I understand a spring loaded system, not a free floating one: I guess I need someone to lay it out for me technically.

thanks

So does this mean it's a 2 piece firing pin?

What Im trying to figure out is, what mechanism pushes the firing pin out the rear enough, for the hammer to contact it(while the bolt is engaged with the chamber and round), when the trigger is pulled?

thanks

As said in post 2, It is the primer itself that keeps enough of the firing pin protruding from the rear of the bolt enough for the hammer to strike it.

thanks

Hahahaha

Yes post two says it. The firing pin rest directly on the primer. With about 3/16 of an inch hanging out the rear of the bolt. The hammer goes all hammer time slamma Jamma on that protrusion.

thanks

Hahahaha

Yes post two says it. The firing pin rest directly on the primer. With about 3/16 of an inch hanging out the rear of the bolt. The hammer goes all hammer time slamma Jamma on that protrusion.

Whoa. Wierd all in one double post

Ok, so the cartridge has to be in the chamber, for the pin to protrude out the back of the rear of the bolt face, while it's engaged with the chamber, right?

I didnt want to put a cartridge in the chamber for safety reasons, being inside the house.

I noticed the manual says dont dry fire the gun. But considering the firing pin doesn't protrude out the back, with no shell in the chamber, I would guess it's only harming the rear bolt face, no?

Edited by rob0126

Well possibly.but If you have the rifle tilted back the then gravity will pull the firing pin rearward and the hammer will contact the pin and slam it forward in the channel smacking the tapered section of the pin into the hole in the bolt face. But damage from this is unlikely.

Excessive dry firing will damage the end of the bolt. Like a couple hundred times in a row.

The firing pin of the one piece type has a mass small enough that it cannot set off the primer unless struck by the hammer. The pin is also too short to touch the primer and protrude at the back of the bolt until the bolt is fully locked.