Nice job sir!

Like others have said, you may have saved the lives of the next victims as well as your own and your girl's.

Any chance the thug's .25 round hit your Keltec and jammed it, and possibly scratched your hand?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was standing outside of my girlfriend's house on sunday night, smoking a cigarette and drinking a beer. I was next to the staircase (she lives on the first floor of a 2 story motel style apartment),

Don't hold your breath. If Elvis was unarmed & got shot they would have covered it because it suites their agenda. The story would have gone something along the lines of "We need gun control bec

I sat out there and drank about 4 beers over the course of 2 hours in front of the police while I was telling them what happened, over and over. They're fine. They knew what happened, and were cool wi

I am waiting to get the gun back from evidence, but really don't know if I want to carry it anymore. I'm carrying a Glock 23 now. I feel alright, certainly don't have any regrets, and i'm glad that no one I care about was hurt.

Good job on keeping your head & being sharp enough to create a diversion.

You probably really did keep someone from getting harmed in the future when the douchebag escalated or twitched the wrong way with his finger on the trigger.

Also, thanks for posting about the jam.

I was thinking about a PF-9 but not any longer.

At the range a couple weeks ago I was shooting my carry piece (Sig P-239 in .40) & it jammed after 400 rounds.

The only jam I've ever had with my G-17 was from the extractor binding due to the extractor & embutment not being cleaned for over 4000 rounds, so I'm carrying my G-17 with glock-clip again.

A jam in the middle of a close quarters gunfight is the stuff that nightmares are made of.

I've decided I need to get a G-39 (with glock-clip & Trijicon Night Sights) for CCW now after reading about your issue instead of the PF-9.

I bought my dad a Keltec P-11 a while back & it's had instances of ammo jamming up in the keltec mag causing FTF, but I figured the PF-9's single stack would cure that.

For anyone reading with a P-11, get the S&W mags for the P-11. They feed better than the Keltec mags.

Pop's is carrying a S&W bodyguard .380 in his pocket now & that's never had 1 issue.

This report ends any consideration of Keltec by me ever again.

Thank God that he panicked & ran off rather than emptying his mag into you while you were clearing the jam.

The Lord was watching out for you there brother.

Sure, maybe it was just a .25, but a .25 at close range can get the job done none the less.

But with the guy running off...

That's why cops unload on people.

It's not because they're bloodthursty & sadistic, it's because you can be shot directly through the heart & you have 8 seconds before your body begins to shut down.

Someone with a gun in their hand can do a lot of damage in 8 seconds. You're better off keeping them busy getting shot. As you saw, it's not like the movies where the bad-guy just drops dead.

Really glad to hear you fared well & good job keeping your head. 032.gif

I have a feeling that with the rising long term unemployment rates posts like this may very well become more commonplace.

• Like 1

Glad everything turned out ok and good job defending yourself!

On the beer issue.... at least from what my CCW training class here in NC taught, here we are not allowed to concealed carry at all while consuming alcoholic beverages.... not even on our own property.

Yeah...I know.... rolleyes.gif

Glad everything turned out ok and good job defending yourself!

On the beer issue.... at least from what my CCW training class here in NC taught, here we are not allowed to concealed carry at all while consuming alcoholic beverages.... not even on our own property.

Yeah...I know.... rolleyes.gif

Seriously?? Thats a new one to me. I knew you couldnt carry while consuming at all but your own property? I hate our handgun laws even more now!

Yeah it's friggin stupid. I even asked the instructor specifically, if I was to see someone trespassing on our land and causing some kind of trouble, would I be within my rights to walk down there carrying a shotgun or a HG, to make damn sure they left immediately....and he said no. They person trespassing can actually charge the property owner with brandishing a firearm and communicating threats. I wonder if my 100 pound German Shepherd is considered deadly weapon if I walk his big ass down there to make em leave....

The other thing I thought was completely ridiculous..... if an ARMED intruder breaks into my home, even literally smashes a window and crawls inside.... the only way I can cap his ass (no questions asked) is if I shoot him while he is literally half inside and half out at the time, whether forcing his way in the door or crawling through a window. Once inside they are protected by the law and you then have to convince a jury that you were in fear for your life. With a woman they have it easy because they can always play the fear of rape card, but a man has to jump through hoops to defend himself with deadly force, even inside his own damn dwelling. That's crazy.

eyes_droped.gif

Yeah it friggin stupid. I even asked the instructor specifically, if I was to see someone trespassing on our land and causing some kind of trouble, would I be within my rights to walk down there carrying a shotgun or a HG, to make damn sure they left immediately....and he said no. They person trespassing can actually charge the property owner with brandishing a firearm and communicating threats. I wonder if my 100 pound German Shepherd is considered deadly weapon if I walk his big ass down there to make em leave....

The other thing I thought was completely ridiculous..... if an ARMED intruder breaks into my home, even literally smashes a window and crawls inside.... the only way I can cap his ass (no questions asked) is if I shoot him while he is literally half inside and half out at the time, whether forcing his way in the door or crawling through a window. Once inside they are protected by the law and you then have to convince a jury that you were in fear for your life. With a woman they have it easy because they can always play the fear of rape card, but a man has to jump through hoops to defend himself with deadly force, even inside his own damn dwelling. That's crazy.

eyes_droped.gif

You do know NC passed a castle doctrine law right? Goes into effect Dec.31 but we have a pretty good self defense law now so some of what you mention may not be true anymore. Im pretty sure the part about convincing a jury of fear for your life no longer applies because I remember the law stating we will be given the assumption we were in fear for our life, or something along those lines. Plus protection against civil litigation!!

• Like 1

Yeah it's friggin stupid. I even asked the instructor specifically, if I was to see someone trespassing on our land and causing some kind of trouble, would I be within my rights to walk down there carrying a shotgun or a HG, to make damn sure they left immediately....and he said no. They person trespassing can actually charge the property owner with brandishing a firearm and communicating threats. I wonder if my 100 pound German Shepherd is considered deadly weapon if I walk his big ass down there to make em leave....

eyes_droped.gif

Ouch, that sucks.

The only thing that sucks about SC is that you can't carry where "alcohol is sold and consumed on premises", which includes pretty much every damn restaurant down here. Once that gets lifted, I'll be a happier man.

But as far as your home, we have a very good Castle Doctrine here (which also protects you from civil recourse from the shithead who broke in). Basically, the state has already handed you the assumption that anyone who enters your house unlawfully is there to do great bodily injury or kill you. You don't have to wait and see if they have a weapon, you don't have to say anything to them, you don't have to retreat further into your house, etc, etc. On top of all that, the person doesn't even have to break-n-enter, or enter by a means of force. You can literally have your door unlocked, or wide open, and you're still protected by the Castle Doctrine. If you didn't invite them in, they're entering "unlawfully", and the Castle Doctrine is now in effect.

From what BigJ is saying, sounds like you guys are getting the same sort of deal.

Well done. Gut shots are nasty and he likely won't be able to eat solid foods ever again...more then he deserves IMO.

Ya know, this isn't the "Old West" anymore where people got shot in the gut and ended up dying from sepsis in a week. :lol:

Medical science is remarkably advanced these days in treating most intestinal injuries from handgun bullets. That's why you got to shred those intestines with a load of bird shot. It's the only way to be completely sure. ;):up:

Glad to hear that everything turned out OK. I've got a PF-9 that turned into a jam-o-matic last time I was at the range. I hear that if you polish the feed ramp it clears up a lot of the problems, but I'm iffy about carrying it now.

Did you shoot that ammo before? You said that a buddy gave you a box

Reason I ask is that many auto loaders are finicky about bullet shape, as the spent round has to travel over the next round in the magazine. So it could simply be a conflict between the ammo and gun.

Not saying anything for or against Kel-tec, as my only experience with their firearms is, one time picking up one of the carbines at a gun show and then setting it back down.

Good job clearing the jam under stress, takes a cool head to think that clearly.. Also reminds me why that is a good thing to include with every range session.

Edit: to change 'chamber' to 'magazine'.

Did you shoot that ammo before? You said that a buddy gave you a box

Reason I ask is that many auto loaders are finicky about bullet shape, as the spent round has to travel over the next round in the chamber. So it could simply be a conflict between the ammo and gun.

Not saying anything for or against Kel-tec, as my only experience with their firearms is, one time picking up one of the carbines at a gun show and then setting it back down.

Good job clearing the jam under stress, takes a cool head to think that clearly.. Also reminds me why that is a good thing to include with every range session.

Good point. From my experience, PF-9s handle FMJs fairly well, but have only had luck with Speer Gold Dot for hollows.

two hits with a .45 would have put him on the ground for good......

I hope you're joking. The performance difference between 45acp and 9mm is relatively minor and there have been plenty of people hit with 45acp that lived to tell about it. What matter most, BY FAR, is shot placement.

Of course he was. Kinda sideways. Above eye level and sideways, that's how he walked up.

csspecs, I did shoot this ammo through the pistol prior, I believe a magazines worth, just to make sure it didn't have any serious hiccups, and it ran fine. I think the jam had something to do with either me limp wristing on shot, or my hand placement, the slide could have gotten slowed down enough when it was slicing up my left hand. Either way, it could have totally been me and not grabbing the thing tight enough when I was trying to take a follow up shot. I haven't practiced tactical response with my pistol much, I always figured that it would be a gut shot at close range. But either way, I'm carrying a .357mag snubby now, I had bought it a few weeks ago for cheap and fixed the yoke retaining pin/spring, so its good to go.

Here's a funny thing that I remember about the evening. So the police had set up sort of a perimeter, with about 3-4 cars. I'm sitting on the steps, smoking another cigarette, and this gay dude from across the street infiltrates the perimeter and was like "Oh my God, what happened?" He had the stereotypical lisp and was pretty fruity. I told him that some guy tried to rob us and I shot him. So he started asking me questions, I guess getting the full story for his neighborhood gossip ring. Hopefully he won't take too much artistic liberty with the story. haha.gif

Everyone I've talked to, you guys included of course, has told me good job. With the exception of one of my best buddies, who's a total liberal (he can't help it, he's an a academic scholar working on his PHd). He was like, "I'm glad you're alright, but you know, really, he probably wouldn't have shot you if you'd just cooperated." WTF? So he's supposed to be able to take my stuff, and I just give it to him, because he 'probably' won't shoot me? Even though he's standing there with a gun pointed at me? Sometimes that whole mentality just blows my fucking mind.

Edited by elvis christ

Everyone I've talked to, you guys included of course, has told me good job. With the exception of one of my best buddies, who's a total liberal (he can't help it, he's an a academic scholar working on his PHd). He was like, "I'm glad you're alright, but you know, really, he probably wouldn't have shot you if you'd just cooperated." WTF? So he's supposed to be able to take my stuff, and I just give it to him, because he 'probably' won't shoot me? Even though he's standing there with a gun pointed at me? Sometimes that whole mentality just blows my fucking mind.

I'm a liberal (or, more accurately, a progressive) and I think your friend is a frickin' idiot. The only thing I would have said to you in response is, "Next time, aim for the head."

• Like 1

Excellent! Damn fine job.

I'm lookin' for a link to a Birmingham newspaper. Cain't find one.

Help me out.

I live in bham. Try Birmingham news.com or al.com. News stations (which may have something about it) are. Fox6 / NBC 13 / ABC3340 / WIAT 42. Hope this helps

Where's the newspaper account of your encounter?