Painting bottom of receiver.

I am at the point where I have to prep and paint the bottom of my Saiga rifle. I find plenty of topics stating who uses what kind of spray paint. Not much on the process. Can anyone put together a quick step by step? I will have to sand or use steel wool. Do not have access to sand blasting.

I see some info in threads but can't tell the steps or what to look for.

For instance, How much do I need to sand? Just enough to rough up surface?

Cook the gun?

Break cleaner?

Anyhoo, any clarification is appreciated.

Clean the receiver with alcohol, and use a blow dryer to dry it well.

Paint the whole gun instead of just the bottom for a perfect match.

Not much prep work really needed. Tape off or stuff paper towels in both ends of the barrel and gas tube.

Use a heat gun to dry between coats, and use light even coats.

Spray another coat or two coat after installing the trigger guard, I've used this method on about 15 guns, and the finish has held up well.

Edited by Jetmech

I just cleaned mine off with some warm soapy water, and dried it off real well. Then taped off all the parts I don't want to paint with painters tape and stuffed the inside of the receiver with a old sock. Sprayed one coat of dupli-color engine enamel low gloss black. I set a incandescent light very close (to get it just above room temp) and let it dry completely.

That was it for me, may not be the prettiest, but I am happy with the results, despite I tend to be a perfectionist.

I prefer to at least lightly sand any pre painted surface before re painting, if you aren't going to bead blast it first. In fact even bare metal is best sanded or blasted before a coat of fresh paint is put on. It gives the paint something to grip on, and not just flake off the smooth surface. The paint will self level and fill all the scratches if not deep.

• 1 month later...

I cold blued mine. I used brownells oxpho-blue. To my surprise it matched very well. I had to use multiple coats, buffing with fine steel wool in between. it took probably 15 passes and was a nice black. I was skeptical at first, but figured what the hell, and it came out nice.

Just a different idea. Its doing just fine on my rifle and youd never know the difference.

Just finished painting with the duplicolor semi gloss engine enamel that people reccomend. It really is a good color match for cheap. ~$6

I am sure things like Cerakote are better, but this looks perfect, was surprisingly easy, and I can touch up if I scuff it. I am grateful to the others who reccomended it.