I understand that the conversion is pretty easy. However I am the guy that always has parts left over after he puts anything together... I just picked up a Saiga in the sporter configuration. I want to have a pistol grip put on it. I understand that you have to move the trigger group forward and etc. I need to find some one in Florida that does this that does not have a five month waiting period. Any ideas? I might even a basic conversion done if it can be done cheaper than the ridiculous quotes I have seen by some companies online.

No matter what the cost is, you're needlessly spending money by paying to have a basic conversion done. It literally involves grinding the heads off a few rivets, pulling old parts out and dropping new parts in. But, if you're set on paying someone to convert it, ask if you can watch them do it. It will give you a better understanding of just how simple it is and you will regret having to pay them.

I'm sure there are a few forum members in your area that might be willing to meet up with you and help you convert it for a few beers. A better thread title would help. Such as "need help converting 5.45 in (city name here), Florida.

Dude, it is so easy as to be laughable.

There are excellent step-by-step, written and video guides, to aid you in a basic conversion.

Don't pay to have something such as this done.

I'm in Mobile, AL, and more than willing to help, if you just happen to live in the extreme western end of Florida's panhandle.

AK or AR, I've the proper tools, knowledge and experience.

It's easy, my 5.45 is my FIRST rifle I have ever owned so I was a little nervous too. But once watched some how to videos, and really looked in my gun. I then realized how simple it is, the hardest part for me was to get the new butt stock on while not hitting the nylon replacement plugs. The longest part was waiting for the paint to dry, (you need to paint underneath the trigger plate.)

Edited by ben4345

I 100% agree on the bullet guide comment. As far as the videos go making this look easy, I really don't believe they are using the correct drill bit size for their tap. Without the use of my drill press to help me, drilling and tapping would have sucked. I also used the drill press (manually hand cranking) to start the tap by the way and I finished it off with the T handle.

• Like 1

I 100% agree on the bullet guide comment. As far as the videos go making this look easy, I really don't believe they are using the correct drill bit size for their tap. Without the use of my drill press to help me, drilling and tapping would have sucked. I also used the drill press (manually hand cranking) to start the tap by the way and I finished it off with the T handle.

I did mine with out a drill press. Just take it slo0o0o0oow, it took me awhile.

Yeah, the one YouTube video I used cracked me up when I saw the guy tap his by sticking his tap in a cordless drill. There is no way that would have worked on the hard steel on my rifle. It would have snap my #6-32NC tap like a toothpick. I can't explain that part of the vedio but I will say that it was very detailed and very helpful.

Yeah, the one YouTube video I used cracked me up when I saw the guy tap his by sticking his tap in a cordless drill. There is no way that would have worked on the hard steel on my rifle. It would have snap my #6-32NC tap like a toothpick. I can't explain that part of the vedio but I will say that it was very detailed and very helpful.

Yeah don't use a drill, LOL!

um...i've done two conversions and used the corless drill to tap the BG. I use the lowest setting on the clutch and notch it up a couple setting. works like a charm. i still use cutting oil as well. once the clutch kicks in i reverse a coiple of turns and then oil and go forward. it only turns maybe a 1/4 turn, locks up with the clutch, reverse and start again.

I am seconds on the handheld drill to tap. I did it just fine and had no lock ups... The key is to use cutting oil (or the oil I used to clean my rifle!) and go slow! Like one revolution per 3 seconds. My hand held drill did have a level attached to the back so drilling centrally was not an issue...