I saw this link and article, I thought it seemed unprovoked. The kids or adults were being loud and silly, but it wouldn't seem the use of force was justified at all here. Even if they were obnoxious http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Postgame-Haka-dancers-in-Utah-pepper-sprayed-by-?urn=highschool-wp7506

So pushing the football player back, shouting, dancing, and refusing to "make a hole" so the players can leave is reasonable even after multiple orders?

While I'm no fan of using OC spray, seeing as how it just gets back on you, I don't think it was unreasonable to use it.

If you want to do your act, fine, but don't interfere and force people from leaving.

• Like 1

So pushing the football player back, shouting, dancing, and refusing to "make a hole" so the players can leave is reasonable even after multiple orders?

While I'm no fan of using OC spray, seeing as how it just gets back on you, I don't think it was unreasonable to use it.

If you want to do your act, fine, but don't interfere and force people from leaving.

+1. Pull that shit at a sports event in Europe and you will get a stick upside your head instead of the OC.

I remember being in Belgium some years ago and some "enviro nuts" were protesting in the streets, a big armored personnel carrier with a water cannon on top and about 50 people in riot gear showed up. They cleared out pretty fast.

MACE___In_Yo_Face_by_Ugleboi.jpg

meh.ro1778.jpg

Anyone read the comments on the article's page? Some of it is kinda funny.

I also think it's funny how you immediately hear "I'm gonna sue you!". I wonder if Al Sharpton is going to jump on this bandwagon, and claim the police were prohibiting their tribal dancing. Were those guys Samoan or something?

Did they push him? It looked like they let the one through...you know the more I watch the less discernable it seems.

They let quite a few people through. The ones they let through appeared to not be players. It's when the uniformed player tries to walk through that you hear "Ay, back up, back up foo" @ about 31sec, and you can clearly see him walk, hesitate and back up.

People in the comments section claim this was a "celebratory dance", and not an "intimidation dance". Bullshit. They let non-players through, and block the player and start their shit. A group of consisting of some fairly large men, who appear to be WELL out of highschool, blocking a kid from leaving the field with some sort of asshattery.

I saw no push, the player was told to back up and did so. As far as appearing to be well out of high school, it doesn't appear that way to me. Doesn't really matter what type of dance it was, it was a dance. It's really a question of when force is appropriate. I don't think there is a clear answer for me.There are times when disobeying an officers commands warrants it and there are times when disobeying an officers commands really harms no one. For instance, not dispersing in a protest, just standing on the sidewalk. Now, one could be arrested in that situation which makes more sense than the use of pepper spray because there was no immediate danger. If they start physically resisting then things have escalated to the point that the use of pepper spray is justified IMHO. This situation is a bit of a gray zone to me. The were slowly moving when the officer started walking but they didn't immediately stop and obey. My bet is that they would have continued to do so and there was already an almost complete path.