California is Finally Safe: LED Gloves and Pacifiers are Illegal!

http://reason.com/blog/2011/10/12/reasontv-ravers-vs-the-man-ca

Can you ban a style of music? California Assemblywoman
learned the hard way that doing so might not be so easy when she tried to ban electronic rave music.
"We found out later on that, Constitutionally, you can not ban a type of music," said Ma. "Plus, I, like my opponents said, I didn't really know what was going on."
Despite the inability to ban rave music outright, Ma was able to squelch aspects of rave culture like LED gloves and pacifiers by keeping the pressure on event organizers with Assembly Bill 74 (formerly the
), which became law on Oct. 9, 2011 when CA Governor Jerry Brown signed it.
The Assemblywoman first became concerned with raves when a 15-year-old girl named Sasha Rodriguez died at the popular Los Angeles rave, The Electric Daisy Carnival (EDC).
EDC, a giant festival of electronic music, dancing and lights, was held in Los Angeles for the past 13 years, attracting hundreds of thousands of participants and
for the Los Angeles economy. When Rodriguez died of an apparent ecstasy overdose, the LA Coliseum banned the event, which subsequently moved to Las Vegas for its 2011 festival.
Much of the political backlash against raves began in 2002, when then-Senator Joe Biden proposed the Reducing Americans' Vulnerability to Ecstasy, or RAVE Act,
  • Like 1

It seems more and more that lawmakers think it incumbent upon them to react to every unfortunate occurrence with overreaching legislation and "save" us poor pitiful souls from ourselves. Apparently it can't just be accepted that people are going to make their choices and die doing all kinds of things no matter how many ridiculous laws they pass.

• Like 3

what a stupid b****! how about you crack down on drugs and educate the kiddies. at least educate them that they need to stay hydrated and look out for their friends who are tripping.

kids will do drugs and dance. been going on since the beginning of time.

no wonder why that place is bankrupt and hopeless.

• Like 5

So all Kalifornians are naive and ignorant? Or just the ones that think gun laws stop people from killing each other?

This chick that they elected is pretty fucking naive and ignorant: "We found out later on that, Constitutionally, you can not ban a type of music."

The blatant disregard and ignorance for the Constitution baffles me.

The libturds destroyed jobs for many and that's why I left Southern California. I lost my home and many of the productive people including native born Californians have moved away from the Land of Fruits and Nuts to saner grounds. Now they mostly have are libturds and illegal aliens instead of people who would contribute to the area. In the early 90s many states came to attract companies to move to their state where they weren't heavily regulated and taxed. The state did nothing to give counter incentives for them to stay.

two quotes from her were caught me. "i didnt know at the time, you could not ban a type of music"- what politician wouldn't understand this up front?

"like my opponents said, i really didn't know what was going on" -- just funny in itself.

Edited by GregM1
  • Like 1