I'm considering this one (doesn't require moving the trigger):

saiga1.jpg

It's walnut that you stain / finish yourself...keep in mind that if you change the stock and foregrip, you'll need to change at least two more parts on the rifle to be 922® compliant.

Edited by Donkeyshins

Yes, they all suck and are just a step in the wrong direction, as you'll likely do the real conversion and turn that rifle into what it should be. Running a Saiga in sporter configuration is to a converted Saiga as just the tip is to balls deep; sure the fundamentals are the same, but really you're shorting yourself...

Yes, they all suck and are just a step in the wrong direction, as you'll likely do the real conversion and turn that rifle into what it should be. Running a Saiga in sporter configuration is to a converted Saiga as just the tip is to balls deep; sure the fundamentals are the same, but really you're shorting yourself...

Yeah, after shooting my new .223 (bone stock), I decided to convert the FCG as the ergonomics are crap. I'll be doing an SVD-style stock, but one with the FCG in the proper AK location...

Any aftermarket trigger is going to go in the AK position, not the Sporter position. The factory Sporter trigger engages a stamped steel linkage which in turn pulls a neutered trigger inside the receiver. That's why it feels like doo-doo, it's moving a bunch of stuff around on pins that weren't part of the original AK design.

Have you fired a converted Saiga, or a standard AK, to compare to how the Sporter version shoots? If you haven't, try to make a chance to. You might change your mind and decide to do a conversion. It's really pretty straightforward with any mechanical aptitude and some simple hand tools.

Any aftermarket trigger is going to go in the AK position, not the Sporter position. The factory Sporter trigger engages a stamped steel linkage which in turn pulls a neutered trigger inside the receiver. That's why it feels like doo-doo, it's moving a bunch of stuff around on pins that weren't part of the original AK design.

Have you fired a converted Saiga, or a standard AK, to compare to how the Sporter version shoots? If you haven't, try to make a chance to. You might change your mind and decide to do a conversion. It's really pretty straightforward with any mechanical aptitude and some simple hand tools.

I agree with this completely. My Saiga 223 has the Tapco collapsible stock/PG that doesn't require the trigger group being moved on it now. I thought everything was fine until I got a chance to fire a converted Saiga at the range recently. I was immediately sold on the conversion after firing a Saiga in its proper configuration. First thing I did when I got home after that range trip was order a conversion kit from CSS. Now I just have to make the time to actually do the conversion...

saiga1

I have a Saiga with the Russian American Armory Skeleton Stock. I really like it even though it still uses the original "Sporter" trigger grouping. They are $80-90. The only bad things about this stock are that the length of pull can be a little short for some without a butt pad and that it is made in Russia so you can't count it as one of your U.S. parts. Other than that it is great. It has a rotating cheek rest that lets you shoot with a scope or with iron sites comfortably.