Carolina Shooter supply bullet guide wont fit, too wide.

OK, Im installing a Carolina Shooters Supply bullet guide in my 5.45 Saiga.

As a note, Ive installed a dinzig bullet guide before in a 5.45 Saiga.

When I place the CSS bullet guide into position, it wont sit flat. Its to wide, and is much wider than the dinzig bullet guide Ive installed before.

Do I need to fit this to the trunnion? or did I get the wrong guide? Its not round, its flat, but has "ears" on it that make it to wide to sit flush.

thanks,

clay

We have found that the trunnions on the new 5.45 rifles need a more narrow flat bullet guide and we have already corrected the ones we have.

Thanks for the heads up.

• 1 month later...

sorry to comment on an old thread but I just received a CSS Bullet Guide for my 7.62 and it's also to wide. Would you guys still suggest on trimming it?

I slightly dremeled the edeges of mine to fit and it works fine in my flat trunnion 7.62, no problems at all. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by TJohn

mine was too long and over lapped over the mag.....

What mag? The factory Saiga mag or are you talking about surplus mags? There is a difference between the fit and function of surplus and factory mags once the bullet guide is installed.

I had to modify my factory mag to work once I installed the bullet guide due to the taller front lip on the factory Saiga mags that serve as their own bullet guide.

Sorry I should have been more specific. Yes a Polish Tantal mag. I am aware of the difference's between the two. The bullet guide hung over the front trunion 1/4 of an inch or. I ground it back to allow the polish tantal mag to lock into place.

I still need a range trip to see if it will work or if I need to take more off. I plan on contacting CSS about it

WarHammer, My BG did the same thing. Fit into the trunion neatly but when pushed back under the barrel as far it would go it hung out over the mag well enough to overlap the lip of the mag enough to prevent the mag from seating. I filed the guide back to provide minimal clearance for the magazine. This is with Polish surplus metal mags. I havent altered the Saiga mag yet but that is next on the list. Range test pending.

JohnM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, so here are a couple of shots showing the guide as received, on the left, and the guide after filling back, on the right. After alteration, the mags can be fully seated without the guide interferring. These are Polish metal mags in the photos, but the original Saiga mag which had been altered to match the metal mags would not seat either nor would Tapco magazines. The thickest, or "highest" point of the guide remains the same as before alteration, but the guide did not work to give reliable feeding.

BG-TooLong2.JPGBG%252520-%252520Short.JPG

I added a thin shim under the guide to increase the total thickness or "height" and that seemed to do the trick. I shot about 60 rounds two, and three at a time and the last round in the magazine feed correctly each time. Also, there were no tell-tale jacket metal smears on the rear face of the barrel indicating the bullet tip was striking the barrel before careening into the chamber. The shim is .028 in. thick just becaue that was the thickness of a piece of metal I had on hand to fashion the shim from. Another .020 or so and you would not have bolt clearance.

Works for me.

JohnM

Edited by John Nicholas