S223 conversion with AR mag well

I picked up an S223 last week and ordered the parts for the basic conversion from Dinzag arms (thanks again for help with another conversion). While looking through another forum I found a gentleman who had done an AR mag conversion which allowed the use of the original Saiga mag. I got the contact info of the guy who makes the adapter and promptly ordered it. The magwell arrived this afternoon and I proceeded to get it installed. It works great in my test area. I need to get it to the range and see how it works with a variety of AR mags. I know it still works great with the original Saiga mag but need to see how it does with different brands of AR mags.

post-9034-0-17004600-1319769554_thumb.jpg

I ordered it from Mike Thomas, got h is name from a member on another forum. There is no markings of manufacturer so I am not sure if he makes them or is just a third party.

Cbryan is correct, there is a little metal that needs to be removed for the AR mag to go in all the way to set properly. This does not affect the operation of the original magazine. Installation (after fitted) is as easy as installing an AK mag. Once the adapter is installed the AR mags install the same as they would in any AR. The big advantage for me is the large collection of AR mags and not having to buy a bunch more mags to feed the Saiga. I can't wait to run the beta mag through it:)

Interesting. Price? In stock and ships in less than a week? Information like this should be shared!

Tell us more Comrade! (Better Pic of adapter, more info please?)

Edited by TheDeacon

I finally had a chance to get the rifle to the range and run it through its paces. I put 6 30round mags through it without a hiccup. I switched back and forth with the original saiga mags and the AR mags with adapter. I wanted to make sure the lock up was consistent. I can now say that I am a big fan of this conversion.

installation included fitting the adapter to the rifle. This required a minor touch with the dremel to the original mag release, I believe this will be a case by case issue as it was very minor but allowed the release button for the AR clearance when installing. Next the mag well opening needed a little opening up to clear the AR mag. Then the fun part removing enough metal from the front trunion to allow the AR mag to sit in deep enough to lock up and feed properly.

Attached are the photos of the areas I had to work on.

post-9034-0-97087300-1320261939_thumb.jpg

post-9034-0-49326900-1320261949_thumb.jpg

post-9034-0-57764300-1320261958_thumb.jpg

post-9034-0-53358800-1320261967_thumb.jpg

post-9034-0-52115700-1320261981.jpg

• Like 1

I bought this Saiga with the idea of doing the basic conversion (trigger group, stock, pg). I ended up doing the conversion before ever firing a shot out of it. I took it to Ben avery to see how it worked and was very pleased then a member on another forum mentions the adapter. My interest was peaked so I ordered the adapter, which came without any instructions or place on the web to look for them. I was a little nervous about just grinding on a new rifle to make an, unknown to me, product work. Very happy I did though. The versatility of having lots of mags available is nice. I see some even put in the bullet guide. I chose not to do this. I have not had one single feed issue so I most likely will not add the guide. I have done the bullet guide on my 7.62x39 saiga so it would run regular AK mags. That is also an easy and very nice modification. Still looking for an alternative for the 308 mag.

Will be interested to see what your results are. I have a couple buddies wanting it done to their rifles but would like to see if it works as well on others first.

Thanks for the post!

Can you post the link to the source or ordering information for adapter?

I see your Saiga is "dimpled", like mine (and all newer shipments, unlike the ones used on YouTube and MSA site).

I've got MSA adapter and hacked a heck out of it, and it still far from "drop in" installation.

My bad: I paid too much attention to the sales info.

Steel! Mine is here and I should have it installed by Wednesday. Just in mounting it so far 6x6pinz picture tutorial is dead accurate. very slight cut on the front lip of the trunnion ( used a hand file and a couple minutes, that small a cut ) and trimming the mag release lever side to clear the adapter mag release. Fit against the receiver is snug and stable.

Pictures as soon as possible. Sadly, have to go slave to afford the toys.

UPDATE!

After using a dremel, proper measuring tools and a bit of patience (about an hour and a half) I finished the installation. GI steel, plastic and surefire AR mags fit, lock and drop free with no issues. There has been just one problem, and that is due to excessively rough handling on my part. After I talk to Renegadebuck I may leave the adapter on permanently and dispense with the Saiga mags.

And a 60 round mag dump from the Surefire AR mag will make even the most jaded of us smile like a little kid!

Edited by TheDeacon
  • 2 weeks later...

On the Renegadebuck unit, no. If you look at the first picture in post #9, the curved sqare rod is the mag release. I have a couple ideas to make it ambidextrous by adding a low profile lever on the left side and if they work I'll ask Mr. Thomas if he minds if I post it.

On the MSA adapter, I have no idea.

• Like 1

On the Renegadebuck unit, no. If you look at the first picture in post #9, the curved sqare rod is the mag release. I have a couple ideas to make it ambidextrous by adding a low profile lever on the left side and if they work I'll ask Mr. Thomas if he minds if I post it.

On the MSA adapter, I have no idea.

Well , if you ever come up with an idea , let me know , Deac . Thanks , buddy .

Does anyone know if the mag release button can be switched around to accomodate a left-handed shooter ?

I've considered this too, being a lefty. The technique I use with my AR however is to use the butt of the new mag to hit the mag release button. I HAD an ambi release on my AR, but it was too close to the bolt catch and I could easilly hit it accidently during reloading, so I took it off. Maybe a similar technique here?

I actually use the "lefty" magazine release on my MSA mag adapter. I hit it with my left palm while I'm pulling the mag (I believe in retention, not drop free)... Works like a charm- this is actually the DIRECT release, the "right side" by the trigger finger is via linkage on the MSA unit.

Folks, you really need to see different views of MSA adapter before drawing the conclusion.

Is it "ambi"? Yes.

Is it symmetrical/interchangeable/reversible? NO.

You can smack it with your palm from the left hand side to drop the mag, but have to use your index finger from the right hand side.

See this "borrowed" image. Adapters are positioned facing the barrel end (you, the viewer), with larger release rocking lever located on its left hand side, and small push-lever on right.

(Added later)

Thin walls' part is inserted into AK mag well.

Great idea, good looking part, quality fabrication; unfortunately, doesn't fit "dimpled" Saigas without H-E-A-V-Y modifications.

Bottom line is to decide what are you going to hack the hell off: adapter or receiver.

PB030061-1_001.JPG

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

"Hacked" MSA with PMAG, finally works.

Opted for trimming a notch on magazine vs. dremmeling the hell off the receiver's AK mag stop.

Added Fuglystick handguard has no relations to mag adapter, but surely works well as stress relief!

post-28515-0-74903100-1323622880_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Raven

Opted for trimming a notch on magazine vs. dremmeling the hell off the receiver's AK mag stop.

Added Fuglystick handguard has no relations to mag adapter, but surely works well as stress relief!

Looking good, I really like the hand guard. Fuglystick, where do you get them?

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good, I really like the hand guard. Fuglystick, where do you get them?

(Sorry if off-topic: http://www.thefuglystick.com/index.html )

Folks, you really need to see different views of MSA adapter before drawing the conclusion.

Is it "ambi"? Yes.

Is it symmetrical/interchangeable/reversible? NO.

You can smack it with your palm from the left hand side to drop the mag, but have to use your index finger from the right hand side.

See this "borrowed" image. Adapters are positioned facing the barrel end (you, the viewer), with larger release rocking lever located on its left hand side, and small push-lever on right.

(Added later)

Thin walls' part is inserted into AK mag well.

Great idea, good looking part, quality fabrication; unfortunately, doesn't fit "dimpled" Saigas without H-E-A-V-Y modifications.

Bottom line is to decide what are you going to hack the hell off: adapter or receiver.

PB030061-1_001.JPG

Oooooooooooohh scary scary..... Gotta "hack" it up to make it work? Not really....

People don't get alarmed, it's not difficult at all to make any of the modifications it takes to use the MSA adapter. BTW this "borrowed pic" is mine.

And just to let y'all know, I am currently working with a disabled shooter and designing and making a new part that will be available next year (not far in the future...) that will indeed allow the left handed shooter to release the mag with the trigger finger of the left hand, just like the right side works now,... and still have the option to use the regular left side release on the adapter.

• Like 1

I just bought a 223, looking at mag options. I like the AR mag idea. GI mags are everywhere around here, used and new. Go in anywhere and ask for a galil mag, or and 223 AK for that matter, and you get a blank stare. what.gif

The MSA adapter does look nice, I've done a bit of fab work but not on guns though. I'm a bit apprehensive about taking a grinder to new parts. A little is Ok but how much is really necessary to install this thing? I do have a dimpled receiver.

Oooooooooooohh scary scary..... Gotta "hack" it up to make it work? Not really....

People don't get alarmed, it's not difficult at all to make any of the modifications it takes to use the MSA adapter. BTW this "borrowed pic" is mine.

And just to let y'all know, I am currently working with a disabled shooter and designing and making a new part that will be available next year (not far in the future...) that will indeed allow the left handed shooter to release the mag with the trigger finger of the left hand, just like the right side works now,... and still have the option to use the regular left side release on the adapter.

Post updates on the progress of LHS release; I am interested.

Speaking of modding: my IzhMash (non-Legion) Saiga was imported by US Sporting Goods, H091644XX.

I've got it working and like the final results; I wish my efforts were on a lighter side.

Therefore, any shared experience is appreciated.

Edited by Sgt. Raven