Last night driving home I seen what appeared to be someone with no brakes coming down the off ramp as I passed under the local freeway. I slowed down thinking that if the person is going to blow through the intersection I'm not going to the the one they T-bone to stop. At the last minute they jammed on the brakes and stopped, nose peeking out into my lane. As I passed and gave a slight swerve I noticed it was a state trooper. I proceeded on and he pulled out behind me and soon thereafter rocketed past me in the lane on my left. I thought to myself "wow, someone is about to have a bad day"... as soon as I thought that I kinda joked to myself "it'll be funny if he pulls into the post trying to punch out of work right away" (it was just after 10:00). I kept on doing the speed limit, in what my wife calls "driving like an old lady". About a quarter mile ahead of me, I could still see his taillights because he had gotten stopped by a red light... and rocketed forward from the light, kinda made me wonder WHY if he was in some type of rush for an emergency he stopped at all.

About another half mile down the road I saw him turn into a gas station. I needed to fuel up anyway, so I pulled in, to see him cleaning out his car and walk inside RIGHT to the coffee machine... WTF?!? I'm not saying I'm the "model citizen" but then again, I'm not in THE profession where I need to be setting an example every minute I'm on duty. I grabbed the plate number, and drove away after filling up.

I decided that if anyone else had been doing the same thing they would have top answer for it, so I called 911 (no non-emergency numbers are available at night to my knowledge around here). I told the dispatcher that it was a non-emergency right away and explained the situation to her. All she really had to say was basically 'what do you want me to do'? and I can make a complaint in the morning because there's no superior officer on duty that late.... awesome.

I WAS kinda torn on whether to report him or not this morning, but made my decision. On top of knowing that nothing will probably come of it, I dont want any kind of headaches because a "good guy" got reported by "average joe", and it sucks to think like that, but I suppose there's the ideal world where 'people have to pay for their crimes', and then there's the one we live in with corruption and cracks in the system. Or am I wrong and I should jump on this before it's too late?

031.gif

Nothing good for you will come from following through with this. The cop will not be reprimanded and you will have made a target of yourself if you haven't already as unless you called from the increasingly rare pay phone they already know who you are.

Sometimes it is worth the fight to do the right thing and sometimes it isn't. To me this looks to be one the times it isn't.

• Like 3

Its hard to say what the right thing to do would be. Nobody needs to be driving like that, LEO/Citizen. But perusing the problem I doubt will solve it, and could potentially create problems for you(sad but true). Its going to take something bad to happen for that guy to learn. Being reprimanded isnt going to change him. I agree, Leave it to karma. he'll slip up one day.

i will be the dissent here and say, document every instance you see with vehicle numbers, time/date/location, and even picture or video evidence if possible. Collect this data for a decent period of time, maybe even make a visual spreadsheet or something, then take it to the city council, or the chief of police. enough evidence will get the ball rolling, if it doesnt take it to the news agencies all through town. IT IS a major problem as I see it, and innocent people get killed by shit heads like that. this is not about you, or how good of a citizen you are. it is about reckless driving, aggression behind the wheel, and an ego that needs to be checked. IF you did nothing, and he killed someone the next day by rearending them and there was no report of his negligence, he could get off, but if there is a recorded history, it could be used to prove how shitty he was previously. my vote, report it, tell the superiors that it is a common problem, and a road hazard that shouldnt be there

• Like 3

i will be the dissent here and say, document every instance you see with vehicle numbers, time/date/location, and even picture or video evidence if possible. Collect this data for a decent period of time, maybe even make a visual spreadsheet or something, then take it to the city council, or the chief of police. enough evidence will get the ball rolling, if it doesnt take it to the news agencies all through town. IT IS a major problem as I see it, and innocent people get killed by shit heads like that. this is not about you, or how good of a citizen you are. it is about reckless driving, aggression behind the wheel, and an ego that needs to be checked. IF you did nothing, and he killed someone the next day by rearending them and there was no report of his negligence, he could get off, but if there is a recorded history, it could be used to prove how shitty he was previously. my vote, report it, tell the superiors that it is a common problem, and a road hazard that shouldnt be there

I was thinking that same thing but decided that I wouldn't have time in my life for such dedication to bust a reckless driver. Sometimes you have to choose between whats easy and whats right. Call me a hypocrite but if I had the time and resources and a bat mobile perhaps I would take it to the extreme and do all that stuff because one day that guy probably will(god forbid) plow into someone and then it will be a huge problem. So youre right, he should be delt with. but who has the time and resources....o wait the police do. and yet we get people that say, "what do you want me to do"? Im gonna have to run this by my LEO buddy and see what he says about it. Im sure there has to be some kind of system for that kind of stuff.

I was very disappointed in this thread until I got to your post! While This prevailing attitude of "dont bother" "you'll just create a problem for yourself" is one of the biggest problems. As long as they know they can get away with being shitty they will continue to do so!! He could kill somebody b/c no one reported him or YOU could keep him from killing someone b/c he may think twice when he finds out he's been reported. Of course nothing is likely to come from your complaint but that doesnt mean it shouldnt be reported.

Just make sure you document everything. Take a friend with you, with a video camera and a personal recorder to record everything.

Watch this.(I recommend watching all 6)

There have been times I have been responding to a hot call only to have another officer arrive first and give an all clear. At that point I may continue at the posted speed or I may stop going all together if it is no longer needed. However, all you see is me flying down the road and then a short time later not doing so anymore.

I'm not attempting to excuse all actions of all police officers everywhere, I am just offering a possible scenario.

There have been times I have been responding to a hot call only to have another officer arrive first and give an all clear. At that point I may continue at the posted speed or I may stop going all together if it is no longer needed. However, all you see is me flying down the road and then a short time later not doing so anymore.

I'm not attempting to excuse all actions of all police officers everywhere, I am just offering a possible scenario.

That's quite plausible. But in my opinion, if an emergency vehicle is going to speed while responding to a call, you should at least have your lights going. Otherwise, it looks to everyone else on the road that you just think you're above the law and are putting everyone around you in danger. If you're driving like a bat out of hell, you should really let other people on the road know you're there and run both lights and sirens.

If it's not an emergency that warrants lights and/or sirens, but you want to get there somewhat quickly, just use your opticom and do the speed limit.

The same goes for rolling through stop signs. It doesn't build any respect.

I think you should report it if you claim to stand for justice. Likely nothing will happen and I doubt they will do anything to retaliate. If they do then sue the fuck out of them, that simple. Don't think it's a big enough deal to report it? My Cousin by marriage, a 40 something father of 2, was killed by a cop speeding with his lights off. It was in a rural area on the dark feeder of a highway. He pulled out of a gas station, witnesses heard the cops engine revving and he was t-boned, breaking his neck. He also had his ex-brother-in-law in the car and he was in ICU for quite a while. After the accident the first thing the cop did was look at his car for a while, then looked at the other car and called for help. Long story short, no real legal consequence for the officer, my cousin file a civil suit for a considerable sum, the whole family was systematically harassed until my cousin settled the lawsuit for 7 figures(split between her and the kids). The officer is a danger to the public, do the right thing.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Edited by bigj480
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

that was one of the EXACT quotes I was thinking when it all went down...

...If they do then sue the fuck out of them,

I have a close family member going through a lawsuit against a large opponent, the headaches I've witnessed them go through is NOT for me. I'm no "model citizen", and it sucks to think this way: but I'd probably rather roll-over and let this one go.

You don't want a target on your back. Keep quiet.

Would you really expect another cop to do anything about him, or about you. These people cover for each other in domestic assaults, drunk driving, and in many cases murder/questionable shootings.

This isn't even a question... Pushing this could seriously harm you and you family if these guys hold a grudge. The most you could hope for is to be ignored.

Would you really expect another cop to do anything about him, or about you. These people cover for each other in domestic assaults, drunk driving, and in many cases murder/questionable shootings.

This isn't even a question... Pushing this could seriously harm you and you family if these guys hold a grudge. The most you could hope for is to be ignored.

I think that's been mostly true but there are also signs that the good cops are getting fed up with the bad ones. When was the last time you saw a uniformed cop in his cruiser arrested by another one and put in handcuffs for reckless driving?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/29/us/florida-cop-reckless-driving/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

• Like 3

X,

I'm with the report crowd on this one. JamesLi made some valid points in his post and that situation may very well have been the case, but it still does not excuse some of the things that you pointed out. A couple of things to remember. Always notate the time, date, location and vehicle number if possible. If the officer was responding to a call for assistance and canceled, then the complaint will easily be cleared. If not, then at least it starts to establish a pattern even if nothing happens with it. If you are worried about any type of retaliation, then you can always make the complaint as a concerned citizen and leave it at that. Maybe doing it that way will help you with your decision. Nothing pisses me off more than to see another fellow officer blatantly ignoring the same laws that they uphold. Once again, even if nothing is done with it and you refuse to offer your information, it at least establishes a pattern or a start to one. Good luck.

BTW, unless you live in an area where there is only one officer or deputy on duty at a time, there is always a superior officer on duty. You might want to bring that little bit of BS up in the complaint as well.

• Like 2

I have been in this situation and decided to report it, I was not retaliated against, but I was told in nicer terms, to fuck off. This is a judgement call only you can make, but IMHO, the downside for you outweighs any possible upside. It saddens me to even type that, but it is a fact of life with the system we have to live with. There are some fine upstanding LEO's, GeorgiaPD who commented here, is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever had any dealings with, but unless you know the superior officer you would be dealing with is a man of like quality, the sad truth is, you have no way of knowing if there will be retaliatory actions against you.

• Like 1
X,

I'm with the report crowd on this one. JamesLi made some valid points in his post and that situation may very well have been the case, but it still does not excuse some of the things that you pointed out. A couple of things to remember. Always notate the time, date, location and vehicle number if possible. If the officer was responding to a call for assistance and canceled, then the complaint will easily be cleared. If not, then at least it starts to establish a pattern even if nothing happens with it. If you are worried about any type of retaliation, then you can always make the complaint as a concerned citizen and leave it at that. Maybe doing it that way will help you with your decision. Nothing pisses me off more than to see another fellow officer blatantly ignoring the same laws that they uphold. Once again, even if nothing is done with it and you refuse to offer your information, it at least establishes a pattern or a start to one. Good luck.

BTW, unless you live in an area where there is only one officer or deputy on duty at a time, there is always a superior officer on duty. You might want to bring that little bit of BS up in the complaint as well.

By no means am I suggesting that he shouldn't report anything, and I'm right there with you on officers who feel like they can be hypocrites.

• Like 1

Pick your battles wisely.

If you're Johnny-Clean-Hands & you're down for a meaningless crusade, go for it.

If you enjoy flying under the radar & doing what you damn well please without being pulled over every time you drive after dark & you live in a small town, don't.

Me, I'm not a rat.

I don't rat on anybody, cop or citizen.

It's just not the tradition I was raised under.

Edited by DonaldDuck
Pick your battles wisely.

If you're Johnny-Clean-Hands & you're down for a meaningless crusade, go for it.

If you enjoy flying under the radar & doing what you damn well please without being pulled over every time you drive after dark & you live in a small town, don't.

Me, I'm not a rat.

I don't rat on anybody, cop or citizen.

It's just not the tradition I was raised under.

Calling someone out when they've done wrong isn't a bad thing.

Edited by JamesLi
  • Like 2

I agree. It's not a decision to be taken lightly. A bad cop can ruin your life just because he feels like it. You might even get "snowflaked" during a "routine" traffic stop, and end up doing time for dealing drugs, all because some butthead has a grudge.

Too bad they're all not more Andy Griffith, and not Jean-Claude VanDamme. Some are good, but you have to be willing to roll the dice.

Its a tough call. But unless you got vids, I'd let it go. This time. Be more prepped for the next though. I've found I can use my Droid cell phone as a dash cam and even as a side window(if I'm stopped) with just a couple clicks.

It really should be the good cops repoting the bad, but that "Blue Wall" can be hard to deal with from the inside as well. I had a couple guys I just refused to work with. One of which I threatened to "leave out in the woods" if they made me work with him again.I just didn't agree with how he did his job.

• Like 1

I see civilian fucktards drive dangerously all the time that I don't follow, document all their movements over a specified time period, and submit my investigation to authorities because I wouldn't have time to live my life due to the sheer number of dumbass drivers.

The fact that one bad driver happens to be wearing blue doesn't change my viewpoint unless I witness an actual vehicle collision. All I can do is report reckless drivers to the police if I happen to have binos or eagle vision to get their speeding license plate, make, model and color of vehicle and my current relative position and their direction.

All that info makes a really hard phone call to do if you are driving solo and will likely cause you too to become a dangerous distracted driver.

Add to the fact that a plea bargained "reckless driving" charge (with no collision and only a civilian eyewitness) will likely be reduced to less than a 10 or 15 MPH traffic ticket means you are giving up your time and life for a < $400 fine and not a felony or even misdemeanor offense.

Afterwards, they will still be a dumbass driver and you will have solved nothing because as a wise redneck once said, "you can't fix stupid".

• Like 3

I think that's been mostly true but there are also signs that the good cops are getting fed up with the bad ones. When was the last time you saw a uniformed cop in his cruiser arrested by another one and put in handcuffs for reckless driving?

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t2

The story in that link is awesome and hilarious at the same time. Props to the arresting officer.

I see civilian fucktards drive dangerously all the time that I don't follow, document all their movements over a specified time period, and submit my investigation to authorities because I wouldn't have time to live my life due to the sheer number of dumbass drivers.

The fact that one bad driver happens to be wearing blue doesn't change my viewpoint unless I witness an actual vehicle collision.

I can see where you're coming from, and I generally agree. But to a point, LE should be held to a higher standard than Joe Schmoe, IMO. At the very least, when he's on duty and driving a patrol car.

• Like 1

I say report it. My ggod buddy works at a car dealer in town with a tricky intersection next to it. It causes a lot of folks to make an illegal turn. Last week an officer sat in his patrol car, and my buddy saw him dish out at least 12 tickets to motorists through the afternoon. Come 4:45 pm what do you think the officer does?? Yep, he made the Exact Same Illegal turn he was giving tickets for!! My buddy flagged the officer down and called him out on it! The officers response when asked for his name and badge # was "What the fuck, you flagged me down for that?" Then the officer just sped off with a nice little wheel squeal.

My buddy got the # of the squad car and called it in and reported it. Now it is on Record.

They need to know we are watching them like they watch us. They are accountable for the actions they take.

My buddies logic was simple, if he ever gets pulled over for that same violation, he will take that info to court with him. It may not get him out of a ticket, but shows the hipocracy. He plans on keeping a watch on the spot.

I bet the more the officer sees him outside watching, the less likely the officer is to break the laws he Swore to uphold.

• Like 1