Conversion Soon, Realized Something Awesome

First post... I have a Saiga Sporter in 5.45 coming in this weekend, and plan on doing the conversion. Already read a ton of topics here, so I really don't have any questions, but wanted to share something I realized.

Before that, tho, I'll share a little of my plans: I plan on doing only the rear conversion - pistol grip and buttstock. I don't want to spend TOO much, but I'm not going to cheap out too much either. I'm probably going to use a Hogue grip and an ACE stock with the folding mechanism. (eventually get either an Ultimak rail or the Texas Weapons Systems rail/cover) I'll order the parts I need in a couple weeks since I have a bonus coming at the end of November.

So what did I realize?

Well, a side folding or under folding AK rifle... would fit nice and dandy in a mandolin case. I have a mandolin and checked the length of the case with my WASR underfolder and wouldn't you know, it would fit just nice! Have to remove some of the interior appointments for the instrument, and then some foam to cut and fit the rifle, but would likely also have some room for a couple magazines as well.

I figured I'd share the idea, and if I ever get a round tuit, I'll share pictures as well (of the rifle and the rifle in the case!)

• Like 1

I may be wrong, as Im new here too, but if you only change pistol grip and buttstock you wont be 922 compliant. Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong.

Second question: Why the hell do you have a mandolin?....:P

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Well, if you change the pistol grip and buttstock... you kinda need to change the trigger, too. And if you're going to change the trigger, you should change the whole trigger group. Tapco G2 does it. US made pistol grip, US made buttstock. It's well known that these are plenty for 922r compliance. wink.png

And I have a mandolin because the chicks dig it. Why else??

Edited by FrayAdjacent

As I understand the link; the Saiga rifles come with a 14 foreign part count. The pistol grip is a push, as long as it is US made. The butt stock and Fire control group would give you 4 US parts bringing your foreign parts count down to 10, which is the magic number. This will allow you the use of foreign mags while still being in compliance.

If you don't mind wood furniture (and I figure a mandolin owner likes well-figured wood), there are several companies that make replacement sets that will help with your US parts count.

I have a weakness for Rhineland Arms' Tiger Maple, but you need to fit and finish those yourself. I like the Tiger Maple so much that I plan on getting wood stocks for all the AK platforms I own, even putting the 'Saiga Sporter' front stock onto a S12.

• 2 weeks later...

To switch out the piston you need to remove the rivet that goes through the bolt carrier and piston. I believe that saigas actually dont use a rivet and they have a deep dimple that holds the piston in with static pressure. you must drill out these dimples before you can unscrew the piston. The new piston will need to be riveted in place, I just use any deformable steel shank such as a 16p nail. Hammer and anvil it flat inside the carrier and then sand it smooth.

• Like 1