New gas tube top rail idea

So I was looking over my new S12 trying to figure out a cheaper way to mount a top rail. I noticed the gas tube looked close in size to the .75" gas block used on AR's. I do a lot of AR builds and this is my first AK style weapon. So I measured the gas tube on my S12 and it measured .78" and most gas blocks for AR's measure .75".

This is close enough for me to give it a shot and destroy a railed AR gas block to see if it can be affixed to the S12's gas tube. I think it will be close enough and if it isn't .03" isn't that much to clearance. I have a couple to choose from but I am going to use the lowest one I have on hand. If it works as planned I will probably buy the lowest one I can find.

I plan on mounting it just ahead of the trunion. I will have to figure out a way to mount it but I am thinking silver solder should work just fine. Or maybe use some sort of epoxy as a temporary fix to test with.

Of course it will preclude the use of any type of iron sight because of the height.

I'll post pictures when I get around to working on it.

Dolomite

Edited by dolomite_supafly

Good idea...good execution.

In my case, anything I add to the receiver is too doggoned high for me to get a good cheekweld. And I've been loathe to try silver soldering on the tube...although I did silver solder a magazine extension on one of my Benelli M-1/Super 90's., and it worked just fine.

So, on two S-12s, I drilled and tapped the gas block, and added 1.5 inch lengths of rail. I relieved the centers of the rails so I could look 'through' them, and continue to use the iron sights. The relief lets me see the front bead just fine.

So...I prefer red dots and holos anyway, and the forward position on the gas block works just fine.